How to write the @#! japanese single opening quotation bracket 「

That’s because Spanish keyboards have different layouts to US/ABC/UK

Here’s what I do. I similarly haven’t found any way to write them using the various parentheses, so I literally type ひだりかっこ (japanese for left parenthesis) and みごかっこ (japanese for right parenthesis) and it auto completes to 「 and 」respectively…

I’ll have a look in this thread and see if I can’t make it work properly though

Did you try changing the Romaji layout to U.S in the Japanese preferences? That is actually what made the change for me.

I’m guessing the conversion learning reset probably didn’t do much.

Strangely, I was able to get the character when setting my Romaji input layout to Spanish instead of Spanish - ISO, so perhaps my bit about the option key messing with things is wrong. On the Spanish layout I typed option + ` (they key immediately to the left of the [1] key).

I think I’ll do that!

Actually, it bothers me a lot to have the Spanish flag in the top menu. That’s why prefer to switch from Romaji to Hiragana instead of switching languages.

Also, If I add other keyboard layout for Romaji, for example US, I need to get used to the US layout even to write in Japanese because numbers and punctuation are placed in different keys. The ideal for me is to use Spanish - ISO for the Romaji input in my Japanese preferences but for some reason it doesn’t work.

1 Like

If it’s just the flag that bothers you, you can make your own input sources, and they can basically be a clone of another layout:

Actually. Changing to US romaji layout worked! I just needed to type the brackets using whatever keys are to the right of p. (On my Swedish keyboard that’s å and ¨), not using shift+8 and shift+9 like I’m used to!

クリハクは、突然大きな声で「やった!」と言いました!

Yes, I tried that and it works! However, the layout for US or other inputs for English are slightly different and I need to get used to it even for writing in Japanese because numbers and punctuation are placed in different keys. Also, Spanish (not Spanish - ISO) is a layout different from mine and punctuation keys are placed in different keys. But I also tried Spanish (not Spanish - ISO) and it works too. The key for [ is under “Esc” and when typing in Japanese it correctly types 「.

Thanks to you all! I really appreciate your time, insights and suggestions! I’ll try to be used to type in Japanese using a input method other than my own keyboard or probably write ひだりかっこ and みぎかっこう which is fun!

hello〜 @jasonlint

im often use those 「」with no problem〜 have to switch to hiragana input and try with US layout instead?

edit : already solved〜

Thank you @uyu! That was the thing but I’ve already figured out. However, I have to get used to comfortably type in Japanese with this layout because common punctuation or even numbers differ from the Spanish layout. I don’t know why there’s an issue with the “Spanish - ISO” keyboard…

I’ll definitely do that! Thank you! :smiley:

Different character layouts.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.