How to say pee :/

Ok, so, when I was growing up one of my friends next door was from Japan and of course the first things I asked him to say were how to say I want to poop or pee.

My family have been using these words for years and I’m kind of just now trying to figure out what they were.

I found the one he taught me for poop: Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

The way he said to say pee was おしこ but obviously I could have misheard all those years ago. Does anyone know a word close to that?

10 Likes

Yeah, you’re close. It’s おしっこ

10 Likes

You are a gentleman and a scholar, sir! :grinning:

Thank you so much. :clap:

To this day my dad still says he has to go うんち for number two. Lol

3 Likes

Just to check, you’re aware that if you visit Japan, you shouldn’t use these words in polite company, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Haha yeah. From the context, I’m pretty sure they’re words really little kids say so I’d sound silly as well as impolite. :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah its always おしっこ for that kind of toilet break. I was once at a party with entirely Japanese girls and that was the single word they used for when they left for the bathroom.

The other word for above is sometimes うんこ

1 Like

I’m kinda surprised WK doesn’t teach urination (排尿) or defecation (排便)

3 Likes

It doesn’t? Yeah those seem kind of important.

2 Likes

there’s also 小便(しょうべん )
It’s a suru verb!

You can also say 大便( だいべん ) for poop

6 Likes

this is my favorite post ever.

18 Likes

Ah, you beat me to it!

Coincidentally, this way of phrasing it (i.e. “little message” and “big message”) is also used in Dutch. :poop:

4 Likes

Same in French. We use “little errand” and “big errand” sometimes. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

In Romanian we similarly use “treaba mică” and “treaba mare”, “Treabă” means “job, business, work”, so when you go to the bathroom, it’s either the small job, or the big job :rofl:

It’s funny how different languages use similar expressions for the same thing.

5 Likes

I first learned this word from an angry sleepwalker in the middle of the night. I managed to remember the word the next morning, probably because it was a scary incident.

Hi, I’m new in WK. I would like to ask if 小便(しょうべん ) and 大便( だいべん ) could be used on a normal day at university, between colleagues and workers? Thanks

People generally avoid discussing what they or others will do in the bathroom. If you need to go, you can say トイレに行きます, or instead of トイレ, you can use お手洗い if you need to be more polite.

If it’s unavoidable to discuss the particulars for some reason that would probably be out of the ordinary, then yes, 小便 and 大便 are of the appropriate register for conversations between adults.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for the clarification!! That’s very helpful.

I’ve seen some people I follow on Twitter freely discussing their toilet time, especially 便秘 but it’s probably an exception, and not the rule.

Here’s an old video about various kinds of poops and farts

2 Likes

holy うんこ!!!

2 Likes