How to responsibly use Reorder Scripts?

So I installed the reorder script with the intention of making it so I don’t level up until I’ve cleared out my lessons more. I absolutely hate that I can’t go at my pace without leveling up and getting a huge backlog of lessons. I’d like to learn the kanji last to prevent this.
My question is will this work? Or am I gonna get vocab that I don’t know the kanji for?
Thanks!

The reorder script does not work around WaniKani’s item unlocking mechanism, so you will never get vocab before you guru’ed their kanji.

What you can do to achieve your goal is to prioritize the level the most when doing lessons. This way you will get the items in the order of their level, i.e. you will not see any level 7 kanji or radical before you haven’t cleared out all level 6 vocab (to give an example). For prioritizing, you use the scale to the right. If you click “Sort levels” (in the middle) and then adjust the scale so that レベル is the lower one, that should do what you are aiming for. (Sorry, can’t check atm as I only have lessons from one level :woman_shrugging: If it does not do what you expect it to, just play around with the scale, you cannot break anything!)

You can also group the lessons by type (e.g. get all the radicals first, then all the kanji, then the vocab) but if you don’t want that, then just keep the “Sort types” checkbox unchecked and you should get them in random order.

4 Likes

For this sort of things you should use the Lessons Filter script instead of Reorder. This is what I use for the very reason you are worried about.

With Lessons Filter it is easy to do the vocab first, then the radicals, then the kanji. This way you clear up the vocab unlocked by the last batch of kanji before you unlock stuff by doing radicals and kanji.

4 Likes

Oh thanks! I’ll look for that one instead!

1 Like

Here’s the link:

2 Likes

I 2nd the lessons filter script! I typically do 25 lessons a day, so here’s how I manage that backlog:

Day 1 of level up: Do all radicals, and use remainder of the 25 lessons on last level Vocab. You now have 3 days until the locked kanji open up, so I take the amount of kanji I have access to and divide that by 3.

Day 2/3/4: 1/3rd of remaining Kanji per day (calculated above) and all remaining lessons go to last level vocab. You should clear out almost, if not all, of the last level vocab in this step, so you’ve got a clean slate.

Day 5/6/7: At this point, you’ll be unlocking current level vocab. I’ll typically do all of the kanji that unlocked on Day 5, just to maximize that level up speed, and then you have the remainder reviews plus the next two days to knock out any vocab that pops up.

Day 8/9/10: Depending on how you spread things out and if you got kanji reviews wrong… You LEVEL UP and repeat it all over agian. :slight_smile: :tada:

I know that my lesson count is slightly higher than normal, but I usually have days in the 5/6/7 area that have 0 reviews, or 20 or less, so it should still work with a lower lesson count. Pretty good flow in my opinion, but do what works best for you. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I 2nd the lessons filter script! I typically do 25 lessons a day, so here’s how I manage that backlog:…

This is the same process I follow, for the most part. I want to level up to 60 in about 18 months or so, which gives me until end of 2021.

If I feel burdened by the amount of lessons hanging out there, I will actually delay leveling up by a day or 2 to bring my Apprentice items down to or below 100. Works really well for me and should keep me at a pace to reach my goal by next year!

Once I hit 60, I plan to at least attempt to Burn the World but may give up. Not sure. I have already stuck to this Crazy Kanji Carriage for way more days than I ever have before!

5 Likes

Yes, that’s super important! It is okay to not go full speed 100% of the time! :slight_smile: I’m on a similar track. Trying to hit 60 around December of 2021, but I’ll be okay of that slips to the beginning of 2022. :sweat_smile:

I’ll keep an eye out for a “Burn the World” post. :wink:

1 Like

Yes, that’s super important! It is okay to not go full speed 100% of the time! :slight_smile: I’m on a similar track. Trying to hit 60 around December of 2021, but I’ll be okay of that slips to the beginning of 2022. :sweat_smile:

I have been trying to properly learn Japanese now for 20+ years. I am slightly OK going beyond Dec 2021 for Level 60 but I know myself well enough to know that if I let this slip even a little, it will be a year or more before I brave back into it all. I have to keep going but I need to keep from burning out. Thankfully, so far so good!

Hope you keep to your goal! Any time you feel it slipping, stop on in! People here have all been great at listening and offering advice or just letting folks post angrily. :smiley:

I’ll keep an eye out for a “Burn the World” post. :wink:

Looking forward to seeing the same from you! Even after I hit 60 I hope to stick around as others have. As long as people find my advice helpful anyway. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

This is so cool! I love your schedule!
I might try to adopt it… I really really like it. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
And I’m sure for day 5, the self study script could be helpful for reviewing the large amount of kanji learned that day. what do you think?

Thanks for sharing! And good luck on getting level 60, I know you can do it!

1 Like

Yes, balance is 100% key!

Without a doubt I will hit 60, it’s really just a question of when. I hope to see you and crmsnprincess there! :slight_smile:

Go for it! I typically only use the self study script for leeches, but if it helps you, then that’s fine. Just don’t do it right before reviews!! :wink:

2 Likes

I do the same, only with 20 lessons per day, and I still usually end up with 0 lessons once per week.

3 Likes

You actually only need to make sure you have 4 kanji left in your lesson queue, to make sure you can’t level up. For all levels the 90% level up threshold is reached when you guru all kanji-3, so if you leave 4 kanji in lessons, you can’t level up.

2 Likes