How to read ○ symbol

While reading japanese articles, lessons, etc, I often come across the ○ symbol.
For example, I was reading an article about unit of speed and there was this sentence

日常会話では「時速○○キロメートル」と表現され

I understand “○○キロメートル” means “xx km”, but how to read “○○”?

7 Likes

I thought it was just まるまる, but I might be wrong.
(My ime even want to turn まるまる into 〇〇)

4 Likes

But that’s completely different, right? Even the size and this has nothing to do with zeros? (EDIT: I guess it the same one).

I hear ‘nani nani’ often as a placeholder, or as my Japanese teacher would say ‘munya munya’ :smiley:

6 Likes

You’re right.

Jisho.org has an entry:

Thank you!

6 Likes

Wow, that’s interesting. But even if the symbols name is marumaru, is it still said like that when reading the sentence aloud? Same as you don’t say ‘equal sign’ but ‘equals to’.

1 Like

I found this: hiragana - I want to know what "marumaru" means - Japanese Language Stack Exchange

“まる is a name of this circle symbol, and ○○ is read out loud as まるまる, なになに, etc.”

So I guess we were both right.

7 Likes

Yay! :grin:
I had to think of ひとりぼっちの○○生活, which is read as ひとりぼっちのまるまるせいかつ.

3 Likes

Interesting. Nani nani is a placeholder too. Good to know.

The definition of munya munya is

Interesting indeed!
Thank you!

3 Likes

I teach English in Japan, so instead of “○○” I just use “~” aaand I treat it as either “なになに” or “まるまる” OR even sometimes “なんちゃらなんちゃら” if I’m feeling particularly silly or the class is particularly rambunctious.

My JTEs, though, like to use and stick by “まるまる” any time they explain grammar or want the kiddos to fill it in!

(Well aware this was answered, but chiming in for the third way of reading it if you want to be sillier LOL)

6 Likes

can use なになに or だれだれ or whatever… it’s only a placeholder, and as long as that comes across, it’s all good.

さっき誰々さんから電話があって、もぐもぐおっさんだったんで名前が聞き取れんかった。

そして源泉ナントカカントカ表がひつょーだって。知らん!

1 Like

It’s 〇〇. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Every time I see it, though, I almost need to physically restrain myself from pronouncing it as おお…)

3 Likes

○○○○

I have a tutor who pronounces it as なんなん. :smile:

1 Like

Since we’re on the topic, X as in “wrong answer/incorrect” is バツ, and xxxxx (as in something redacted) is often said “バツバツ”

4 Likes