How to extract vocab and grammar from books?

Hi all, I’ve recently bought 星の王子さま on Kindle & Audible, and I’ve realized that it would be much more efficient if I made Anki cards for vocabulary used in the book before I continue reading.

What’s a good way to do this? Ideally I would also get a list of patterns used in the text - I’m only aware of tools that can analyze shorter pieces of content, like ichi.moe and Kanshudo’s text analysis feature.

2 Likes

\textcolor{pink}{\huge \textsf{WELCOME! ^-^}}
@shadeless

welcome

Take the time to check out the FAQ and GUIDE if you haven’t already.

There’s also a lot of good stuff on the forum to help you, like:

The Ultimate Guide for WK
The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List!
The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps

I hope your Japanese learning journey goes well and that you enjoy your time with us on the forums.

—————————————————————————

I’m not an expert on the subject I’m afraid, but a browse of /r/LearnJapanese has highlighted two projects that might help, though they’re both a little unmaintained by the looks of it, though that doesn’t neccesarily mean that they’re not good ^-^

nplusone Japanese Sentence Miner

cb’s Japanese Text Analysis Tool

Both of those look to be able to generate data on frequency and commonality.

5 Likes

If you’re using Anki are you also using Morphman? It has a function called the readability analyzer. Idk if it can analyze kindle files, but if it can’t you can make a txt file version and it’ll be able to do it. It’ll tell you what percent you should be able to understand based on what it thinks you know and also give you a list of words ordered by frequency. There’s also an option to make a study plan so it’ll prioritize the words that show up in that list in other decks (if it can modify those decks).

3 Likes

Not sure if looking words before the fact is more efficient really. What did worked for me was simply using something like the free JMdict dictionaries (regular one and the one for names) when reading to just check unknown words on the spot and keep the reading flowing. Then using something like Kindle Mate you can simply search your lookups and highlighted phrases and throw that into Anki. Maybe after each chapter of smth like that.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions! I had MorphMan bookmarked for the longest time, but never got around to trying it out - I didn’t even know that it had a function to analyze text.

This seems super useful, thanks @beckswithspecks!

@Ncastaneda I wonder as well, I’ve been looking up words as I go along before for both manga and now with 星の王子さま. I feel that if I can at least get the most frequently used words in my head before encountering them in the novel, I’ll be able to recognize and retain them better than if they were brand new. We’ll see :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Thanks for asking the question, I am wondering also… There may already be vocab lists and even Anki decks made by others (if it’s popular enough to be on kindle AND audible) (I’m being obvious, you probably already checked)

EDIT:. I didn’t see it out among the public Anki web decks.

1 Like

Kitsun.io has a reader mode where you can paste in text for it to extract vocab and you can then make cards from it.

2 Likes