How much time do you spend on a level?

The math isn’t going to work out because I had some troubles last November as documented here:

Going through all that is the reason that I settled on my current pace.

I spent a lot of time on WK a few levels ago and was getting through them quickly for me (I think 8-10 days. Then I started to get more reviews than were comfortable. Over a couple of levels I reduced my apprentice + guru count to 600 max, and only do the number of lessons required to reach that 600 - some days none, and a maximum of 10 per day. I hope this is going to keep my ongoing workload from WK much more comfortable, and if it takes an extra year or two, I don’t really have any need to “race to 60”. When this strategy leaves me with easy WK days I use the extra time for reading and grammar etc, and I’m at a level where native reading is becoming almost fun, instead of frustrating. Having made this conscious decision has left me feeling very happy with the whole WK process. Good luck to OP in finding a comfortable way of progressing that fits into their lifestyle.

2 Likes

Before I reset I had a very inconsistent pace, but many levels were around 12 days, if I recall correctly. Now I’m going at a comfortable 7-8 days per level (with some outliers here and there).

1 Like

I take about a month usually.
I don’t feel the need to race, as I grasp language learning as a lifelong endeavor and I have other acitivies & full-time work to do too, so a month a level feels like a good pace to me that doesn’t overwhelm me. :smiley:
I like to have about 50-80 items to review a day.

1 Like

I’m all over the place. Sometimes it takes me 2 months sometimes it takes me 10 days.
To get through a level.

2 Likes

すみません :bowing_man:

\textcolor{pink}{\huge \textsf{WELCOME! ^-^}}
@megotto95

Even if you’ve been a member for a while, so aren’t really new hehe
welcome gif - crabigator

Take the time to check out the FAQ and GUIDE if you haven’t already…
…but you probably have, because you seem like you’re diligent and awesome like that ^-^

There’s also a lot of good stuff on the forum to help you…
…that you’ve likewise probably already seen, but it still worth mentiioning!

The Ultimate Guide for WK
The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List!
The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps

I hope that you continue to enjoy WaniKani that your worship of the Crabigator is eternal!

6 Likes

I see now why I feel overwhelmed all of the time! Thanks for sharing your graph. It really helps to see others experiences.

Thank you for sharing your stats and advice! I definitely need to learn to pace myself because the days I have over 200 reviews and 100 lessons can be very disheartening!

Thank you!! Happy to be here. I also haven’t explored the forum as much as I probably should, so I do appreciate the links :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for the response and links! I do feel better and less discouraged now!

1 Like

I think it all depends on the person. I just subscribed after finishing the three free levels. I think I averaged about a week per level for the free stuff (although I did drag out level 3 a bit to get as much for free as I could, lol). It helps, though, that I already knew a lot of the kanji covered in those levels from other study methods I’m using, so the biggest hurdle there was the vocabulary. I suspect that once WaniKani surpassed the N5 material I already know, my progress will be significantly slower, especially because I have two small children and a certification exam I also need to study for in order to keep my job. I will say that I feel like WaniKani’s method leads to faster learning and retention than other study methods I’ve used, but at the end of the day learning a language (especially one as complex as Japanese) is a marathon, not a sprint. You might learn a lot in a short amount of time, but if it’s too much to retain long term then it’s ultimately fruitless.

2 Likes

One to two months per level is a comfortable, sustainable pace for me. Trying to go any faster just ends in tears and a reset.

3 Likes

As long as it takes.

5 Likes

Hello,
my median is 7 days and 10 hours. I have to say I am not completely new to Japanese, but I didn’t practice it for almost ten years. I’m using WaniKani to refresh my memory of kanji (I did Heisig back in the days).
In parallel I also do sentences in Anki.
screenshot_20200927_193809

4 Likes

Average: 7 days, 7 hours, 18 minutes
Median: 7 days, 9 hours, 46 minutes

Well hey, hi, howdy @rmiller1656 and @Ni730w1, since those were your very first posts, you get one of these…

\textcolor{pink}{\huge \textsf{WELCOME! ^-^}}

welcome gif - crabigator

Take the time to check out the FAQ and GUIDE if you haven’t already.

There’s also a lot of good stuff on the forum to help you, like:

The Ultimate Guide for WK
The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List!
The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps

I hope your Japanese learning journey goes well and that you enjoy your time with us on the forums.

2 Likes

This is me. I’m spend time studying every day but I usually don’t add words to my deck unless I get the apprentice below 50 just because I don’t like getting swamped with Wanikani.

3 Likes

I consider learning kanji just a fun side project: was really pumped up about learning Japanese about 10-15y ago, then it kinda waned, then I started studying Spanish, move to LatAm to be with my SO and about 1y ago decide to start learning Chinese (with the idea that it would later on help with Japanese with knowing characters) but after a while struggling a bit with hanzi and finding out about wanikani I decided to use WK to help with mnemonics for hanzi and in the end I dropped Chinese and decided to go back to Japanese. I started with strictly 10 lessons per day, then had couple of weeks of fallout and I came back and started with 5 new items and then was slowly increasing it to 7 currently. This means it takes roungly 25-30 days for a level, but I usually get >80% on review (and consider I’m doing it mostly as a break from work on an hourly basis I’d say that’s quite a good score).

Bottomline - don’t stress about it and do it in a way that let’s you get something from it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Let’s just say I’m stuck here… I can’t bring myself to down this. And the last few levels were going so well :sob:

2 Likes

7 days, 14 hours, 16 minutes, but I’m going to try to get myself to slow down as I just started burning this week, which adds a lot of extra review items to the already large daily pile.

I also do Kaniwani for all Guru’d items, so it’s getting close to a second full time job. I have to slow down so I can focus more on input.

3 Likes