How many "KANJI" can you review per minute?

I put on a stopwatch once, if I really focus I can do like 150 in about 25 minutes s

1 Like

Personally, I prefer to go straight to the next question and save this for the final results page at the end. That’s where I’ll spend time going over misses.

But other than that, I agree with the rest. :smiley::+1:

1 Like

Interesting! That approach makes sense, but I don’t think I have the discipline. When I get my review count to zero I want a reward! (I feel like I’ve just crossed the finish line and at least deserve a break before possibly doing some lessons, if not another cup of coffee).

If I didn’t review my mistakes as I went, I think they’d weigh on me.

I’m constantly amazed at the different approaches.

1 Like

The last time I tried tracking it, I did 116 reviews in 22 minutes (spread throughout the day), which comes out to 5.27 reviews a minute, or 316 reviews per hour. But I never have more than like 130 reviews a day (at least, on WK alone), and I think the most I’ve ever done in one sitting is 50, so I don’t know if I could actually keep up that rate for a block of over 300 reviews.

I have pretty good accuracy (my overall accuracy on wkstats is an average of 93%), and the majority of the meanings/readings come to me pretty quickly when I see the items. If I look at an item and realize immediately that I don’t know it, I’ll just fail the review and move on, but for most of the items that I struggle with, I do try take the time to try and remember them. I’ve heard that it helps your memory more if you struggle to retrieve your memory of something, but then manage to remember it (rather than just giving up and looking at the answer quickly). From my personal experience, this does seem to be true. If I manage to come up with the correct answer after thinking about it for a bit, the next review of that item is generally much easier for me.

I do use many of the mnemonics, though I also make up a lot of my own (if the kanji is in the name of a wrestler I’m familiar with, I just use the wrestler as my mnemonic, haha). Generally, they seem to work as intended for me, where I use them until I’ve internalized the meaning/reading of the item, and then stop relying on them.

When I make mistakes, I take a little bit of time during the review session to look at the correct answer, but don’t spend a lot of time going back over it unless I truly don’t remember the answer. I practice my leeches with the leech training script, so if I fail an item repeatedly, it will usually show up there :sweat_smile:. I’ve found that script to be more effective for practicing because it often pairs similar looking items together (which tends to cause most of my mistakes) and forces me to learn to recognize the difference between them.

2 Likes

This jibes with my experience as well. I usually know within the first few seconds if I “should” be able to recall the answer or if it’s something I’ve completely forgotten. With the former, it’s almost always worth the extra time to pull it forward in my memory. The next review for that item is usually much quicker.

Other times I think I know it, struggle, eventually recall the answer, type it in, and finally discover I’m completely wrong anyway. <laugh> I suspect everyone has to find their own happy medium for the slowest response time, and it depends on each individual item. Brain farts happen, but at least I know when it’s happening!

Personally, I’ve never bothered with targeted leech training. If I see a familiar item that I’m about to fail again, I’ll answer incorrectly and then take the time then and there to figure out why I keep missing it. This usually results in me typing in some notes for that item. I do this both for leeches that keep advancing then returning to earlier stages, as well as for “normal” items that just seem harder than most to advance.

2 Likes

How about this as an alternative approach? There’s a userscript that puts a time limit on how long you have to answer each review question. If you take too long it automatically marks it wrong.

I’ll be honest, I haven’t used it myself but this may be worth a test to see what effect it has.

On the plus-side you’ll have much faster review sessions - no agonising for minutes at a time trying to recall the answer. The downside is that you’ll likely have more wrong answers per session. But they’ll come up more frequently again if they fall down the SRS levels and hopefully get more reinforced in your mind.

1 Like

Checked my heatmap, apparently if I really focus, I can do around 460 items in 1.5 hours, so give or take 300 items an hour. That’s 5 items a minute, probably on a computer.

OH, that’s better hahaha

I won’t get too mad at it anymore, you guys are helping me out a lot and I already see a big difference on how I perceive reviews.

U.u

I’ll follow through this guide.

Thx

You gave me one of the most detailed insights so far

how can I find my heatmap?

You may also be interested in this one, which adds a couple more optional charts to your heatmap for reviews/day and an accuracy snapshot:

1 Like

that’s right, they slow me down

I’m starting to review on a 10 seconds average, but my accuracy fell apart from 85% to 60% when I did it the last time.

I feel that if I get used to it, my accuracy will improve

That’s so relatable :sweat_smile:

1 Like

where I can I find this script?

It’s here!

If your accuracy falls that drastically, you risk becoming demotivated.

Accuracy is usually more a function of how many items you have in early Apprentice stages (how frequently you do lessons) rather than how quickly you answer during a review.

I’d say don’t worry about how long it takes you to answer each individual question. Rather, just try to balance your workload so you:

1. Maintain a comfortable number of items in early Apprentice stages
  2. Are comfortably able to get your daily review queue down to zero every day
  3. Can accomplish 2 in one or two sessions of however much time you have to devote each day.
  4. Can answer correctly about 80% or more of the time during your sessions

My comfort zone is about 100 Apprentice items, around 150 reviews/day, 1 hour daily review sessions, and about 85% to 92% accuracy (as reported next to the thumbs-up icon on each individual review page).

I don’t know about kanji review but in average i can estimate around 200/250 review per hour and 95+% accurcary (level 13).
That is some of my stats if it can help you to compare with mine.

How much time do you spend on your lessons, and do you hit close to the 4 hour and 8 hour review intervals after doing your lessons? I’ve found that those first two review sessions are critical for my accuracy, as well as drilling new lesson items immediately after learning them with the self-study quiz script. It might be that you’re just not learning the information very well initially, which is causing you to struggle more with remembering it later.

1 Like

for 200 reviews- around 30 min with an average 95% accuracy, this time includes checking context sentences of failed ones with yomichan.

But if I do literally the same on ipad- it can go beyond an hour and a half.

For some reason the process of reviewing outside of my PC is attrociosuly slow for me.