How is this Wrong?

This isnt really a case of not knowing kana… They obviously know the characters but arent familiar with typing in Japanese. You have to start learning kanji somewhere and the sooner the better.

2 Likes

True, it just feels that way to me coming from a background of not knowing romaji and Hepburn in the beginning and muddling through. :wink:

2 Likes

Do they though? The question wasn’t “how do I type a small ゆ?”. The concept of small characters appears to be missing. A concept that many seem to lack when they come here.
Don’t mean to be harsh on OP. Credit given for desire, but putting the cart before the horse one could say. Statistically speaking though, many seem to attempt kanji when they lack the kana foundation. Comment was on the trend, not the individual.

3 Likes

I understand what you mean, but to be fair, I can relate because somehow an online resource I used to learn kana (which btw was great) didnt at all introduce small kana.

2 Likes

Yeah I taught myself kana a ways back, but didn’t figure out the small characters until I was in Japan this summer and was asking a friend how Kyoto and Tokyo would be spelled in Hiragana since the “ky” situation didn’t make sense with what I knew at the time. I’d even seen the small characters around, but for some reason didn’t register them as significant.

2 Likes

What I find very useful is, that you can even check how to write certain kana during the review. I also forgot about the way to write づ, so being able to look it up was very helpful :blush:

4 Likes

Thanks! :ok_hand:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.