How do you read?

I’ve been using the Satori Reader app for a few months now and I really like it, but I’m not sure what will be the best way for me to progress.

At first I was just reading and listening to each article again and again until I could read the whole thing without stopping, but this got a little boring and I wasn’t sure if I was learning or just remembering.

Now I read an article, listen to it, then read and listen at the same time. It means I’m exposing myself to more varied articles, but I’m not spending as long on the comprehension.

As with most things there may not be a ‘better’ way, but I’m still wondering what people’s thoughts are. Do you do this? Something different?

1 Like

Well… not sure it helps since I never really gelled with Satori Reader… but I’m not personally a fan of reading the same things over and over…

So to just answer “how do I read”. I pretty much practice reading with a paper book and listening with a different audio book independently of one another…

I try to not look up too many words because I find it gets frustrating to me quickly nowadays (I used to look up everything when I was just starting out)

4 Likes

Personally, I feel like reading a wider variety of material is more important than understanding everything 100%. In the long run, being able to read for 4 hours while getting the gist of the story ends up being more helpeful than, as an example, rereading and analyzing everything for an hour, getting bored, and eventually burning out.

If working on the comprehension works best for your learning style, I think you could find a balance. Maybe only analyzing and rereading the texts that have many uncommon vocabulary and grammar points once in a while, while focusing mostly on reading the easier ones once or twice.

Regardless of the methods you use, you can’t go wrong if you keep reading a lot everyday.

5 Likes

So I’m trying an experiment right now. I read Yotsuba To! in Japanese, best I could without looking anything up. Now I’m reading Yotsuba To! in English, and it’s mostly (but not completely) what I thought. (Also, funny). Next I’ll read it in Japanese again and try to figure out how I misunderstood certain parts, look things up, etc.

What I’m trying to avoid is the furigana/subtitle trap. When I look things up immediately or contemporaneously with trying to read, I tend to learn it for that five seconds and then immediately forget as soon as I move on.

1 Like

I just read, I try never to reread unless there was a lot I didn’t know, when this happens I type all the words I didnt know into quizlet so I go thru those words for a couple of weeks then take a break from that list and go back to the article/book and reread and find my comprhension of the article has improved a lot for that article. I also find that when I come across the same vocab in another artilce my recall is better, so my overall comprehension improves. Repetition is the great form to learning language but usage is even better, so I will read a small english news article once a week. Then I will attempt to tell that same story in Japanese, using the main points even if I ony write a few sentences. I know I make mistakes, because I analyse the sentences after by breaking them down and rewrite so I can see where I may have made mistakes.

1 Like