How do you not get confused with two words being pronounced the same?

すもももももももものうちです!

2 Likes

Fun kind-of-ish related fact thing of the day:

A cool thing I learned about English recently is that there’s a general rule about alternating stress patterns depending on whether the word between similar words like this is a noun (first syllable stressed) vs. a verb (second syllable stressed)

present → noun
present → verb

Other examples:

record → noun
record → verb

contract → noun
contract – > verb

amazing :durtle_the_explorer:

14 Likes

Shameful plug
If you go here: Niai

You can see all the different homonyms in a simple format and compare their frequencies too.

7 Likes

Read rhymes with lead, and read rhymes with lead, but read and lead don’t rhyme, and neither do read and lead.

2 Likes

Wenn Fliegen hinter Fliegen fliegen, fliegen Fliegen Fliegen nach. (“When flies fly behind flies, flies fly after flies”)

1 Like

Wow I didn’t even think about that!

1 Like

There’s also the fun one where “tough”, “though”, “through” and “thought” each differ by one letter from the next, yet none of them rhyme with each other. Though I’m not sure we got from talking about homophones to talking about the opposite. :stuck_out_tongue: (Heterophones?)

1 Like

That was really hard to read, as a native speaker. @_@

This whole topic is reminding me of this poem. The Chaos - Gerard Nolst Trenité It hurts my brain.

For non-native English speakers out there, a lot of these words are old-timey, and I had to ask my mom how to say several of them.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies people.

I’m more confused than ever ._.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.