How can I add furigana to kanji in posts?

Recently I’ve seen some posts in the WaniKani Community that included furigana over the kanji. Is this something I can do with markdown?

2 Likes

Furigana? :thinking:

If so, yes.

2 Likes

Ah my mistake. I corrected my original post. Do I have to do it with markdown tags or is there an editing shortcut, like there is for lists and some other formatting?

You can use the <ruby> tag - <ruby>何<rt>なに</rt></ruby> becomes なに.

And for anyone who’s wondering about rendaku because of the title, your IME can convert だくてん into ゛, which you can then tack onto any character you like - like 何゛

10 Likes

As Kazzeon says, the hiragana above kanji are called furigana. Rendaku is something else entirely…

You can add furigana using HTML tags like so:

<ruby>漢字<rt>かんじ</rt></ruby>

漢字かんじ

Bit of a hassle, but it works.

2 Likes

The easiest way is by using this script!

13 Likes

If you don’t care about fallback to plain text, <ruby> and <rt> is the way.

Otherwise, <rp> is the tag for hidden brackets, and IME2Furigana simplifies that process.

I sometimes don’t use auto-insert Furigana, just wanting a better syntax, so I made an edit to the script.

I don’t know about that も゛

4 Likes

I don’t think you need to use the rp tag since ruby has been supported by all major browsers for over 10 years.

4 Likes

Fun fact: I built a Discourse plugin that reused some open source markdown to allow for much easier syntax instead of HTML. But since it has to be installed by WaniKani server side it requires their permission and time, and in the end they didn’t end up installing it.

6 Likes

It’s actually used here in Discourse, on searching, marking as answer, and new-line internal links. Probably any time with de-HTML, like innerText.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.