How は changes to わ

Hi,im new,i dont know if im missing something,i learned hira and kata already and just started learn kanji with this wanikani,i saw some word which sometimes change は sounds to わ

“一い(は)アメリカ人でした” for example

I thought it suppose to be “ichi ha” but it sounds weird,so i try translate using google and it change to “wa” instead of “ha”,am i missing something?

Im sorry if anything i did here break rule,or misplace or something

Yes, the particle は is wa and not ha.

Where did you find that sentence?

1 Like

The kana は is only pronounced わ when it is being used as a particle. In every other case they retain their normal pronunciation.

4 Likes

It’s a WK context sentence for 一: https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/一

Slightly off-topic, but just so you know, you left off an i in your transcription: ichi’i wa

(Many of the context sentences leave out kanji that you haven’t been exposed to yet, but more fully this would be 一位はアメリカ人でした。)

4 Likes

Yeah, the lack of kanji for 位 threw me off and so I distrusted the full thing. Along with the parentheses for は, which I guess were added by the OP for emphasis. Now it makes sense.

2 Likes

Owh,i see,thanks for the reply.

not in こんにちは - this is the only word (I know of), where は is read “wa”.

I think that’s technically because it is a shortened version of a phrase, in which it was a particle.

10 Likes

Yeah, the は in こんにちは or こんばんは is a particle.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.