Homophone explorer

idem for 痛める (to hurt) and 傷める(to wound)

Have a look at http://niai.mrahhal.net/

It has synonyms, homonyms, and similar kanjis.

Here’s the result for “hypothesis”:

5 Likes

I followed all your instructions, reinstalled the script, am running on Chrome, turned off all other scripts, and the script on a vocab page still says my API key is not found. Any suggestions? I would love love this functionality… thanks for any help.

1 Like

Hello,
in the review window, can you please make the font-size the same as the rest of Wanikani’s original content?
To do so, I have the set the font-size to 16px, and let the line-height be automatically computed:

$('head')
        .append($('<style>',{type:'text/css'})
                .html('.lattice-multi-character a {display: block;color:#fff; text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.2); text-decoration: none; '+
                      'box-shadow: 0 -2px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.2) inset; transition: text-shadow ease-out 0.3s; padding-left: 0.4em; '+
                      'padding-right: 0.4em; font-size: 16px; border-radius: 3px; background-color: #3f7fe9;}'+
                      '.lattice-multi-character li{overflow-x:hidden; overflow-y:hidden; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); display:inline-block; '+
                      'width: auto;margin-right: 2px;margin-bottom: 2px;text-align: center;}'+
                      '.lattice-multi-character ul{margin-left: 0;margin-right: 0;}'));

thank you so much, now it’s working

HOW TO GET THIS SCRIPT TO WORK:

This is a notice to all new users of the script. It took me a while to understand what I had to do in order to get it working, I hope this helps anybody in a similar situation.

1. Download the script:
  1. On your userscript manager select the script and click “Edit”.

2. Go to line 26 and replace the line:
    'https://www.wanikani.com/settings/account'
    with:
    'https://www.wanikani.com/settings/personal_access_tokens'

3. Go to lines 639 - 640 and replace the lines:
// time to create list item for each item
                t.liWrapper = $('<li>',{'class':'character-item', id:'vocabulary-' + homophones[readingsIndex].vocabs[i].character});

with:

// time to create list item for each item
t.liWrapper = $('<li>',{'class':'vocabulary-' + homophones[readingsIndex].vocabs[i].character + ' character-item'});

Special thanks and credit go to @Thaos, @omoide and @quollism.

This answer to this might be hiding somewhere in this thread, but I have yet to spot it - where the homophones should be showing up it says it can’t find my api key - is there more code editing i can do to fix it? I’ve done the code changes on 639-640 and on 26 but the edit to line 26 did not solve the issue. Help :slight_smile:

I’m having the same durned issue. Have you figured out a fix by chance?

This script wasn’t maintained for a long time and was still built on API Token V1, so I’m quite sure (unless I’m really overlooking something here), that it’s out of order, now that 01/09 (09/01 for Americans) has passed. To get it to work again, someone would have to write the script anew, so that it works with the API Token V2.

3 Likes

Yes, the API_REQUEST_TEMPLATE variable, which is used at the very beginning of the script, shows it is a call to the API v1.4

2 Likes

ahhh, and in order to work it would need a straight up retool, vs changing a few lines of code.

I wish I could be the person who makes the updated version, but I’m no coder. :sob:

Two problems:

• the way to read the API v2 key from the settings page cannot work anymore. The API v1 key used to be marked with a specific Html id, so it was straightforward to query its value.
  • I dont know the details of the v2 API.
    with the v1 API, the script would access specially crafted URL addresses, such as:
    https://www.wanikani.com/api/{VERSION_NUMBER}/user/{USER_API_KEY}/vocabulary/{levels}
    i dont know if it feasible with the v2 API, it seems you cannot just update the URL format, and the new key value.

@rfindley, could you please give some hints? Thanks & Regards

2 Likes

Most likely, it would be easiest to use the Open Framework so you don’t have to do API requests directly. Just do:

wkof.ItemData.get_items()
.then(process_items);

function process_items(data) {
  var items = data;
  [...]
  // Do something here with items
2 Likes

I’m four months late, but does rfindleys answer mean there’s now a way to update the script to API v2?

My understanding was that the code modification to migrate to the v2 API is not straightforward. I have not looked further since then.

1 Like

I imagine this script does not current work?? It’s bloody useufl

1 Like

If the script is not working with Api v2 would be nice to say in title that its outdated or something. It confused me until I came back here. Is there someone that took on this script somewhere else?

1 Like

sorry for bumping this, i thought i had it uninstalled but apparantly it was still installed and my lessons were freezing, just mentioning it in case someone else had lessons freezing/unresponsive page and did not know why.

1 Like

Oops – I had already discussed this problem in a different thread, but then I have forgotten to also report it in this thread. In the linked thread, I have also posted a (very bare-bones) replacement script for this one, in case anyone is interested in using or extending it.

2 Likes

Hey guys, sorry for leaving everyone hanging. Unfortunately, I’ve taken a long break from jap study and writing scripts (sorry!)

I really appreciate everyone using the script and getting something out of it. Unfortunately, I won’t have the time in the foreseeable future to update it.

Thanks @Sinyaven for taking it on!

Cheers all

3 Likes