Having difficulty with grammar

Been studying Japanese off and on for the past 4 years. The simple stuff I understand, (te-form, simple requests, Genki-1 level), but I am having trouble moving on the next step, (N3-N2) what does anyone recommend?

2 Likes

Genki II

2 Likes

I recently started reading Dictionary Of Basic Japanese Grammar. Not very far yet, but looks like it’s going to be good. Tons of info. Perhaps too much.

1 Like

Genki I + Genki II are pretty great for building a grammar foundation and takes you up to ~N4 level (I recommend getting the accompanying workbooks too for practice)

After that there’s Tobira, which is a good intermediate textbook, and if you’re looking to follow a more JLPT-oriented learning path you can check out the Shin Kanzen Master series which covers N4-N1 (N4 , N3 , N2 , N1) <–the ones I linked are for the grammar books, there are additional, separate books for listening comprehension, reading comprehension, etc, if you’re interested in those there are bundles available as well (N4 bundle, N3 bundle, N2 bundle, N1 bundle)

There’s also Bunpro which is a new SRS site good for reinforcing grammar points and it’s all broken down by JLPT level – it’s subscription-based, but you can try it free for a month to see if it’s something you’d be interested in ^^

And of course, I definitely recommend to start reading easier Japanese material to reinforce the grammar (and kanji!) you learn in context, sooner rather than later once you’re more comfortable with Japanese :slightly_smiling_face: maybe some easier things like NHK Easy News articles for example, Satori Reader, easy manga, etc.

Alright I think that’s all for now, がんばっどね ! :crabigator::sparkles:

7 Likes

I have found the Nihongo Soumatome series useful for getting towards N3 level. These books are designed as study guides for the JLPT but I think they make for a decent self-study course. One thing I like about this series is that the Japanese reads and sounds (in the case of the listening book) quite natural compared to some texts.

1 Like

@Sezme @anon20839864

From Kristen’s the article review:

Nihongo Sƍ-Matome recently added the listening book to the series and I have yet to pick it up. But after viewing example pages it looks to offer the characteristic structured practice of the rest of the series.

Quick question: Does this book have an accompanied CD or does this book provide a link to the book website that has listening practice?

Just FYI, I didn’t write this review I just added a rating and blurb at the bottom because I’d used the series before.

The listening book comes with the cd attached to the back cover, I believe.

1 Like

Oh, okay. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.