How to Understand context

How does one understand the context of the sentences or paragraph, for a beginner studying Nihongo.

I know it’s a broad answer, but that all comes from knowing vocabulary + grammar

Even being able to read will be immensely helped by WK, as well as help with learning vocab, but supplementing WK further with other sources of vocab study + grammar is also crucial on the path to understanding written Japanese :durtle_the_explorer:

You’ll find that beginner Japanese textbooks and resources will give you nice simple sentences to help reinforce things and to see words and grammar points in action, and over time as your studies continue to build and grow, you’ll start getting comfortable with even more complex sentences which will become the foundation for context in the things you read :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I want to recommend Tae Kim’s guide for Japanese (You can google it just like this), which is a guide focused in grammar and structure. It is a very good place to understand the basis.

1 Like

can you help in referring some textbooks for grammar:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Of course!

I’ll quote myself from one of my previous posts about some grammar recommendations:

In addition to what I mentioned there, there’s Tae Kim’s grammar guide which is available as a free PDF and takes you up to ~N4 level

Maybe also check out the Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources list for additional recommendations for all parts of Japanese study :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m studying for the N3 test currently, and I still sometimes struggle with understanding context. And what I mean by that is understanding who’s doing what to whom within a given sentence. These things are expressed usually with pronouns in English but in Japanese can be expressed with verb choice, particles, politeness levels, and many other things that might seem very subtle if you don’t know what clues to look for.

Honestly, I think there’s a whole textbook waiting to be written on the subject.

when textbook is released, please let me know.

1 Like

these are all bit difficult to understand the word and sentence. any other links which can help me to understand and study the exact concept of the paragraph.
More over there’s かんじ some times these give are differed meaning with word to word and sentence to sentence.
So, looking forward for Good links and if possible send in PDF format so that i can use it properly.
ありがとう。

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.