Haven't succeeded at Wanikani yet, but I'm trying again

:green_heart:

“Zen and the art of falling off yet coming back to the damn wagon, over and over again

tenor

3 Likes

Now make it the last time you try (because you continue trying steadily for the next few years and eventually can read and listen to Japanese).

1 Like

Alternate title not listed: “rock me mama like a wagon wheel - no wait, come back, i’m trying to get back on”

3 Likes

That’s the goal! :muscle:

2 Likes

I bought lifetime at the last sale even though I’m level 45+ because my current rate is about 2-3 levels per year.

Definitely worth it, except if the cost is motivating you because I remember some people basically stopping at the point they got lifetime… Not naming names.

Nope… not even going mention Mahum…

4 Likes

Honestly, that was a consideration and it’s part of why I hadn’t gotten lifetime before now. But this has been me paying annually and the cost clearly isn’t a huge motivator for me so far, so I figure I better cut the losses and at least lessen the stress of paying for it. Here’s hoping it doesn’t bite me in the butt, lol!

4 Likes

Oh, dear, I know what it feels like hitting a wall. I had a small teensy-weensy slump, too, at the beginning of the year. I went on a holiday with my family to somewhere where Internet wasn’t available, and my dumbass forgot to set up vacation mode. You could imagine the aftermatch.
Still, those were like 3 weeks lost. They do not compare to your time. However, I can’t explain well enough the amount of mental prowess I had to muster in order to put myself back on the road. But here I am. Plus, I’m paying for this, you see. Well, it’s more like my father is. I can’t waste neither money nor my time here. So I told myself either I do it or not. All this wouldn’t make any sense if I didn’t like it. The mere thought of giving up Japanese for good scared me out of my wits because, in truth, I love the language. So here I am. I’m two months away from reaching level 60.
So keep your eyes up. Coming back is what it counts. This is tiring, but well, I also love learning kanji. I feel like I’m always changing my favorite kanji the more I level up. So far the one is 琴. Wanna know what it means? Level up! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience! I ended up resetting my level because I, too, didn’t set up the vacation mode and I had about 1200 reviews staring at me, ahaha. 200 was a lot easier to work with. But congrats on getting so far! I hope to be there as soon as I can!

2 Likes

Glad to see that you guys are doing well and are motivated to beat Wanikani @katvonbirb @Katznelson @bladepoint :heart:

5 Likes

not sure how much motivation i can give since i’m only on level two but keep going!!!

1 Like

Another rookie here, who hasn’t yet had the luck to suffer bitterly with wanikani. But from my tender innocence, I encourage you to continue working towards your goals. Slower, faster, failing or not, here you are again to take another step! I was moved by your text because you really seem to care. Keep going! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I bought the lifetime in December because for some strange cognitive reason paying monthly induced stress, and stress induced procrastination, which induced more stress. I thought that the comfort of a lifetime subscription (or lifetime of WaniKani whichever comes first (Love ya WK and if you ever go belly up please make me a contributor on your GitHub repo (readonly is fine))).

Seems to be working. It’s now a game to see how long I can keep the consecutive day streak alive. I reset to 2 before the restart which gave me a nice slow reintroduction. I don’t regret the reset at all. After hitting level 11 I took a bit over a week to just work on leeches. And I try to keep my apprentice list below 70. There’s no shame in slow.

8 Likes

Encouragement from any level is still encouragement, thank you guys! And I hope you both are abel to keep going with fewer challenges! :grin:

2 Likes

What a beautiful chunk of green! And yeah, as time passed, I ended up in a similar position with the sub, where it was just causing stress to be paying for it without using it fully, so I’m just going to get rid of that stress. Hopefully, I’ll finish out the year with a nice chunk of green like yours!

3 Likes

For Pete’s sake, that one was marvelous!!

(Welcome back :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Hi and congrats for getting back on your feet! I found Genki Chapter 3 to be really difficult to understand. There are a bunch of people on YouTube going through Genki and this one helped me quite a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed4rmIY4mL0 . Good luck!

It’s actually been surprising how many things stayed in my pile despite a lack of review, but I’m hoping to try and keep it piled up a bit better going forward.

I don’t remember having a hard time understanding it, necessarily, but it’s been my ‘start over here’ point the last couple of years because i’ve been pretty solid on the first two chapters. But a different perspective can definitely help, so I’ll be sure to check the video out, thank you!

Katvonbirb, you’re not alone in this.

I grew up watching animes and playing Japanese video games, and when I was in high school I was like “Let’s learn Japanese ! I watch/read so much stuff coming from Japan, it would be cool”
Except that the only other language I learnt was English, and I did it in one summer. How ? I ran out of french mangas to read, switched to an English website, and don’t ask me how little me did, but in one summer I got a level good enough to read mangas in English.

Pretty cool, but issue is, I expected the same with Japanese. So I learned hiraganas and katakanas, found some RAW mangas and … oopsie ! You can’t just read them like that you need kanjis. And even with furiganas, you can’t try to “guess it”, language is too different for that.

So I gave up.
Since then I’ve been learning on and off and never really made any big progress…

Two years ago I found WaniKani, and it motivated me to learn kanjis ! … Until level 5. And then I saw I still needed to learn grammar and all and gave up again.

So this time, I motivated a friend of mine to start again with me and we decided we would take the JLPT5 in December. Not because we want the diploma (well … maybe a little), but more because I would be pissed to spend some money on it and get a really bad score :stuck_out_tongue:

Conclusion : I’ve been really bad with self studying for years, but this time instead of just being like “let’s quickly learn some Japanese and read native stuff !”, I try to to aim lower hopping it will keep me motivated :<

So you can do it ! I believe in you ! Find some motivation, keep up with learning Japanese, and in a few years you’ll laugh thinking about all the time you thought you wouldn’t be able to do it

maybe I just wrote all that to motivate me too haha

3 Likes

I must have given up learning Japanese 6 or 7 times in the past three years. Maybe not given up - that makes it sound like I made an active decision to stop studying it. I didn’t. I just missed a day here or there, and eventually, it had been months before I actually studied Japanese.

WaniKani is always the thing that brings me back to studying it. It’s so easy to just keep doing my reviews as they appear, and eventually, I’m doing the lessons as they appear, and I’m studying grammar again and trying to read another web novel.

I always seem to stop actively trying to learn the language when I feel like I’m not making any progress. If I can get past that feeling this time, maybe this will be the last time I give up on studying Japanese.

Or maybe not. I’ll get there someday. Probably.

3 Likes

Finding a friend to help motivate each other is such a good thing! I had such a motivation boost after making friends with people here on WK and they continue to be a huge motivator for keeping me going this time around, as well. And aiming for a concrete goal like that is a good idea, too! I should probably do something similar…

This is exactly what happens, tbh. It just…drifts away and it’s so hard to get back, but Wanikani keeps pulling me back in, too. Here’s to making progress and seeing that progress. May we both eventually reach the light at the end of that tunnel.

3 Likes