Happiness Volume 1 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

I read the first few volumes of Inside Mari myself recently. I completely failed to realize it’s the same author until you pointed it out - now I’m definitely looking forward to this :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have the bookwalker version and I scanned the first chapter briefly. I had to zoom in a bit, but I don’t see any furigana that is difficult to make out. Resolution seems at least on par with other digital manga I’ve read.

Screenshot_2022-01-15_10-09-07

5 Likes

I think I will be joining this book club. It’ll be my first ever longer read in Japanese (and first manga in maybe 12 years?) so definitely a challenge. Exciting!

8 Likes

If I’m still alive and around here by then, I’ll join to motivate myself to read outside the typical graded books.

5 Likes

Well, I’ve never read a manga before, so doing it in Japanese the first time should be fun. Hopefully I’ll be able to do it at my level (darned near absolute beginner).

9 Likes

Just ordered a physical copy from Manga Republic
I wasn’t able to keep up with Mitsuboshi Colors, but I’d really like to (be able to) read (a) Manga(s)
Hoping the physical copy will help me keep at it :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

This will be my first time in the bookclub, I just ordered a physical copy. Looking forward to it!

6 Likes

Just got myself the physical copy from manga republic too. This will be my first book, I’ve only dabbled in graded readers here and there, but never really got far. Aaaah I’m excited :scream:

7 Likes

This is also the first book club I participate in for me. I prefer phycial copies when it comes to manga so I just purchased the book. Even though I’ve only worked half through Genki I I’m thrilled!

6 Likes

I’m right with you! Going to give it a try but if it’s too much too soon- that’s okay too :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Heads up - shipping from Manga Republic is now available in some countries (including where I am from, Canada).

You do have to pay extra for priority shipping though.

5 Likes

Looking forward to reading this :smile:
I’m about halfway through Japanese For Busy People II, so hopefully I can keep up, but book club with other people is too good to miss
(an introvert’s idea of being an extrovert :wink:)
Not long until March!

6 Likes

Schedule Proposal

This one is a bit tricky to divide up. I think to stick to absolute beginner pace we are best splitting most of the chapters into two week’s reading.

The text in each chapter is not evenly split, so I’ve tried to pick a break point which roughly divides the dialogue in half, but also is a natural stopping point. I’ve indicated a very rough number of total dialogue pages for each week, counting some as only part of a page if they are quite light.

I think the last chapter is straightforward enough to read in one week and lends itself to reading all in one go.

Week Starting Chapter Pages to read Dialogue pages
Week 1 Mar 5 Chap 1 - part 1 3 -19 7
Week 2 Mar 12 Chap 1 - part 2 20-42 7
Week 3 Mar 19 Chap 2 - part 1 43-58 7
Week 4 Mar 26 Chap 2 - part 2 59-86 11
Week 5 Apr 2 Chap 3 - part 1 87-111 9
Week 6 Apr 9 Chap 3 - part 2 112-130 6
Week 7 Apr 16 Chap 4 - part 1 129-140 6
Week 8 Apr 23 Chap 4 - part 2 141-158 9
Week 9 Apr 30 Chap 5 159-189 11

Any comments let me know otherwise I’ll add this to the OP.

16 Likes

Absolute beginner here.
I haven’t got it yet, but I’ve googled it a little, and this manga does not look like a text-heavy one, so I believe the amount of time given is more than enough.

3 Likes

I’m totally interested in this but worried i’m too new. Any recommendations on what level you should be to take part in this?

4 Likes

Welcome! Wanikani level isn’t really relevant as all the kanji have furigana. Around N5 level for grammar/vocab or better is about the right place.

6 Likes

Thank you so so much! I’ll give it a go, so excited!

4 Likes

Mine from MangaRepublic already arrived yesterday! Ordered it ten days ago (to Germany). Was only held in Customs for a few hours, no import fees (declared as worth 300 yen) and in perfect condition!
They even sent a lovely note with it and some paperback covers.

Apart from being really excited to read my first book entirely in Japanese, I really want to thank you guys for that recommendation!

6 Likes

Uhh, I’m so jealous! :stuck_out_tongue: Still waiting for my copy from manga republic. It’s been almost a month.
Greetings from Poland :wave:t2:

4 Likes

Glad to read that !
I live in France and was looking for some feedback from Europe! I’ma order my copy right now. :smiley:

3 Likes