Happiness Volume 1 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Jsou to šmejdi :smiley: když jsem tam volala, tak mi prakticky řekli, že přijede 2 tisíce balíků najednou a oni jeden po druhém řeší a zdá se že ten můj je teda asi někde na konci :smiley: kdyby si to předtím alespoň roztřídili nebo já nevím, vždyť ta moje jedna knížečka nemá žádné clo :smiley:

2 Likes

I skipped this manga some weeks ago, but then saw it here in a book club (and for free), so I thought why not give it a try and today… I read all 3 volumes - definitely not your standard manga + I really love the art

5 Likes

yay, so i’m not alone in binging XD Hell yea! But after vol 1 i moved to bbc to read yoru cafe. I hope that when i finish i will be still motivated enough to move forward with happiness.

3 Likes

Taky jsem měl nemilé zkušenosti s proclením, české poště to trvá věky a když jsem jednou objednával přímo z amazon.jp (dodáváno DHL), tak ti pro změnu vytasili s tím že za proclení chcou 650 korun (samozřejmě když už bylo zboží na cestě bez možnosti vycouvat - naštěstí to byla kopa učebnic, takže se mi to pořád vyplatilo oproti kupování lokálně), myslím že tyhle importy mimo EU jsou vždycky prohra :smiley: Od té doby jsem přešel radši na kupování jp-related věcí z obchodu Verasia (který je v EU), ale nabídka mang holt není převratná

2 Likes

Week 2 thread is live! It was great to see so many people start the book last week, including many people who have never completed a Japanese book before.

For those of you who haven’t started yet, or haven’t finished the week 1 reading don’t worry. The week 1 thread will stay open for questions and discussion about those pages. If there is a question not already answered in the discussion or vocab sheet please do post, there will be several people still watching that thread who will be willing to answer questions.

5 Likes

Well done everyone who made it to the end of week 2. Remember there is plenty of time to catch up. If there are questions from readings in a previous week please do ask them. People will still be watching these threads and will respond. Week 3 thread is live:

3 Likes

Hello ya’ll
I have a bit more time on my hands these days and I’n going to give this another shot. I’ll be starting in on Happiness a bit late, I hope ya’ll don’t mind if I post questions to the old threads ^^"
Maybe starting late will actually relieve some of the stress I had about falling behind last time?

6 Likes

Welcome, and please feel free to post questions all you want. You’re not especially late in any case, we’re only at the start of the 3rd week! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

oof, I haven’t kept an eye on this club, due to being too busy over Christmas. I only just noticed it now, read the synopses and just “yeah I need this!”
Popped by eBay and grabbed the full set, cause I don’t like owning single mangas from series =P
I’ll try to catch up, and if a spin off club emerges I’ll be joining :grin:
Hope they arrive before it ends :crazy_face:

7 Likes

Voting is open for the next Absolute Beginner Book Club pick:

1 Like

Week 4 thread is up. Good to see lots of people still reading along!

1 Like

I just finished page 16. So I am pretty far behind and it is really slow and painful going.
I thinn I need to spend more time on grammar.

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone, I’m actually able to follow along in this book. I finished WK, but I hadn’t been reading, and it’s not easy at all! I thought I’d try a Beginner Book Club, but that was way too hard. This absolute beginner’s club is doable, tho. 3 weeks had already gone by before I found this club, so I’ve had to catch up. Also, it’s not easy for me to see the kanji and the furigana, as they’re very small, and my eyes aren’t so great. I’ve been using the digital version, mainly with my browser. I ordered the print version, but it’ll be a few more weeks 'til it arrives. Hopefully, the little characters will be readable (with reading glasses:).

6 Likes

Have you checked out the Older Learners - #245 by hakulus thread? There you will find many recommendations for this exact problem. From using the built in operating system Zoom to external magnifying glasses and using the Vocab sheet for help and much much more. Can recommend to browse it.

Also welcome.

And if you do feel bored, instead of reading ahead, feel free to try again with the beginner book club. The old threads will still be monitored by the readers so you will get help at any time. The book just started.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Same, those furigana are hard to see! Shipping is crazy expensive to where I live though so I’m not buying the physical version.

So I went to my shop and found my Optivisor, which is for working on really small stuff. I think it was $60-70 when I bought it and it’s $50 now but there’s a knock off for $25 on Amazon! Guess what? PERFECT for reading manga as an old person! Those furigana are clear as a bell with this on, LOL! Here’s the knock off: https://www.amazon.com/Headband-Magnifier-Head-Mounted-Binocular-Magnification-1-5X/dp/B07M7H3P95

On to chapter 3! Week 5 thread is up:

1 Like

It is a crime punishable by death to add stuff into the vocab sheet without checking to see if it’s there already on another tab? I just find the google sheets search so painful to use…

No but you will be kicked out of the bookclubs and never be allowed to participate again /s.

I’m no authority on this club but if it was me and I’m unsure I would opt to just add it. In the worst case it was added in an earlier chapter but since you forgot it someone else might have also forgotten. Especially since this is ABBC I wouldn’t sweat the small stuff. It helps to keep the vocab sheet a bit easier to browse through if only new words are added but since we are reading a manga at a relatively slow pace it should be easy to browse through no matter what.

That is my opinion at least :smiley:

3 Likes