Gratitude - An Ode to the Wonderful Durtles

tenor 168

Thank you for introducing Viet san to me :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Today’s gratitude is a little different than usual. 24 hours ago, I didn’t know this awesome durtle existed. Thanks to Ryosuke Senpai, I came to know of @viet san’s existence. I have read through multiple threads dating back to 2012 to understand a little about Viet san.

Viet san, you were actively participating and guiding folks through their troubles. There were many instances of rollicking humor :slight_smile: Reading the 2012 posts makes me realize how far Wanikani has moved forward in 8 years. For all those countless hours, patiently scrolling through the forums and answering people’s questions solving their problems, and for all the things you have done to make our lives better … Thank you :bowing_man: :bowing_woman:

You are like a shadow, always with us to help us in a pinch. In the honor of your title “Ninjaneer” and your work, I bestow upon you the title of Kage Durtle

14 Likes

What happens when you mix the right proportions of Confidence and Curiosity with a measure of Flexibility backed by a Stubborn Perseverance… you get a deadly durtle called Zeus :slight_smile:

My first brush with Zeus san was in the “Level 21 before 2021” thread. I was following their conversations with other newbie durtles. The way they broke down details and planned things was nothing short of art. My first plan in Wanikani was a version of Zeus san’s plan I tweaked to suit my needs. It worked wonders.

The only way I can describe their magnificence is through a example or two. Zeus san reminds me of a Conductor in Orchestra or a midfielder in Football/Soccer. The most important part in an Orchestra is the “Conductor”. A skilled conductor can easily increase the level of performance by a notch or two. They interpret the music and the flow of the situation and make decisions on the fly to provide a delightful performance for the audience. A master conductor leading average performers can deliver a better performance compared to an average conductor leading top performers.

A masterful midfielder can deliver a beautifully weighted pass to their teammate to help score a goal. They can see the spaces others cannot see. They control the tempo of the game providing an added advantage to their team. A skilled midfielder also takes the condition of teammates and opponents into consideration before making a pass. While they make prefer fast and sharp passes at the beginning of a game, they may deliver slow and flighted passes to assist their tired teammate. This final part of flexibility is where Zeus san is more skillful and is what makes them extra special :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

If it feels like I am gushing, it is because I am ( ≧∇≦* ) . For all the delightful conversations and incredible help you have provided to the community, I thank you @zEUs_Japanese from the bottom of my heart :slight_smile: I bestow upon you the title of Metronome Durtle

12 Likes

I’m… kind of speechless.

Lately I’ve been getting back to being a little more active on the forums. And so this fine morning I scrolled down the WaniKani category when I noticed a new message in the new Gratitude thread. Clicking on it I was more than surprised to see that you seemed to have dedicated this day to me. This was this morning.
Now, after reading the final letter, I feel overwhelmingly honored and I am not sure that I deserved this. Seeing these incredibly flattering words about me made it hard for me to know how to feel. You’re description of me accurately names all the things that I actually feel proud for, that I am interested in and where I aspire to know even more of. Really. I don’t know what to say. Thank you. This means a lot to me.

Seeing as Christmas is coming up, I started writing the annual cards for my close relatives. And it’s really hard to find something original and honest to write each person and to refine every letter until every single word feels right. And yet you’re here writing letters like these every day. I’m seriously impressed by your preservance and the magnitude of your undertaking. @KyokaJiro, I wish you good luck on your journey, here on WaniKani, in your Japanese learning and in life itself. I dont know who you are and what your story is, but I’ve never seen a person so giving and selfless, so zealous to advance our conviviality. This response is kind of all over the place, because I don’t really know how to deal with a message like that. The only thing I can do is end this letter by once again expressing my own gratitude - thank you.

11 Likes

You deserve it Zeus san. I would be glad if you felt happiness :wink: The world is quick to criticize, yet we are reluctant to speak of love and beauty as though they are taboos. When I see something awesome in people, I want to look at them and say “You are awesome. You did ABC and it mattered a lot because of XYZ.” Feel proud, swell your chest with pride and give yourself a gentle pat on the back Zeus san :slight_smile:

I am glad I could capture the essence of your nature accurately :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thank you Zeus san. Your acceptance means a lot to me :grinning:

Look at you Zeus san… You keep saying you don’t know how to respond, meanwhile your beautiful and kind words turn my heart into mush :blush:… LIAR :stuck_out_tongue: Thank you once again for your kind words Zeus san, they are as gentle as they are moving.

感動しました (I am moved)
本当にありがたいです(I am truly thankful)
:bowing_man: :bowing_woman:

5 Likes

Today’s durtle is one of the originals who participated in the TextFugu era and has been with Wanikani for the last 6 years.

You can’t miss their presence in the forum because it heats up the moment they enter (The power level - It’s over 9000 :wink: ) And that wonderful durtle is @Aikibujin san . Aikibujin san is one of my fellow durtles from “Level 21 before 2021” thread. They have been helping durtles since 2013 with detailed posts and innovative visual mnemonics. Looking at the depth of each one of those posts, I can’t imagine the amount of time and effort that went into an endeavor like that. It is truly a labor of love :heart: The energy they bring to the thread is immeasurable… all those beautiful gifs are encouraging :grin:

Imagine the anime moment when the villains destroy everything and all hope seems to be lost and just before the final blow you sense the presence of a hero…you know you are saved because the hero is here :blush: That’s the kind of presence Aikibujin san has in the forum. For me this moment always brings up Sakura crying and screaming “NARUTOOOOOOOOOO” and Naruto appears in a majestic manner in Konoha with that awesome music in the background and the camera pans to the Sage Mode Orange eyes. Minor Naruto fight spoiler.

Thanks for all your patience and encouragement Aikibujin san :slight_smile: We are grateful for your knowledge and kindness :smiley: While I can’t give your chersihed name of “Ultimate Supreme Super Duper Explosions of Colortastic Turtle Burning Flavor of Awesomeness and Power Durtle”, I am willing to break my rule to give you more than a word :wink:

I bestow upon you the title of The Number One Hyperactive Knucklehead Durtle

9 Likes

I wish I could give you an actual hug, but these will have to do:
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Unfortunately it’s actually been seven years since I’ve been here (unfortunately as I still haven’t finished…). I’m assuming you did a deep dive on my past posts to find out all of that (stalker! :stuck_out_tongue: ).
That definitely would have been a trip…

You are both magnificent… and insane.

A special combination that’s the basic foundation for my favorite people in this world. :grin:

I have no idea how you are going to manage to keep up with this thread, it’s such a monumental undertaking it’s enough to even make me dizzy.

You have a beautiful soul, you’re Awesome, and it’s an honour to know you.
_ ( . _ . ) _

Good luck with it all!

* hugs *

8 Likes

Thanks Aikibujin san :slight_smile:

It was definitely a wonderful trip down other durtles’ memory lane :grin: It’s the Wild Wild West of the Wanikani :wink:

I hope I will level up to Sage mode if I train daily in gratitude :stuck_out_tongue:

Hugs

3 Likes

Every time I hear the word “Irasshaimase”, one of my favorite gifs by @Joeni san would pop up in my head.

I met Joeni san on “Level 21 before 2021” :slight_smile: (You are going to hear a lot about “Level 21 before 2021 thread” because that is where I met most of the durtles before venturing into other parts of the forum.)

Joeni san is that Cool Senpai everyone wants to be in High School and College. He is the quintessential bard that can regale countless interesting stories that would make your heart throb. He is a master at GIF posting who can get the perfect GIF for the moment. His Photography can take your breath away. His British wit is sharp as a Razor’s edge and it also tickles you like a soft feather. His voice would make you feel like you are listening to an audiobook from Stephen Fry. He takes care of his family, job and makes sure he pays his respects to Crabigator everyday. He makes all of it look effortless (we know it is a herculean task and we marvel at your patience). And at the core he is a Noice Durtle, a Consummate Gentleman that would put Mr.Darcy to shame :grin:

It is hard to define Joeni san. If I have to give him a fancy title, it would probably be “Master of All” :grin: There are so many things about him that make you go “WOW”. You end up repeating that word so many times your mind creates an eternal connection between “Joeni” and “Wow” :wink: Our Akko loving, World of Warcraft playing, Crabigator praying durtle Joeni san, Thanks for spreading joy and cheer in the forum mate. I bestow upon you the title of WoW Durtle

12 Likes

I shall respond in the only form I can truly articulate in:

What a lovely thing to write, thank you so much. I feel like I’ve been majorly slacking lately, so I’m very flattered that you wrote this <3

9 Likes

That’s… a lot of durtles. Do we even have that many active users? Will you instead give multiple durtles to some people?

Anyway, that’s such a nice initiative. Looking forward to all the durtles you can come up with!

14 Likes

Anyone who has come through the pain group forum. Your messages have kept me going.

6 Likes

tenor16

I am honored to write it, Joeni san :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for dropping in Naphthalene san :slight_smile:

I sure hope we do, if not both WK and I would be in trouble :stuck_out_tongue: Seriously, I truly believe we have enough folks around here :slight_smile:

The answer is “NO”. Each one gets a single durtle :grin:

Thanks for your kind words, Naphthalene san :smiley: While big acts of kindness and love are easily visible they usually tend to be one-off moments. My intention behind this thread is to highlight those little continuous acts of kindness and love and call attention to them :slight_smile: (Of course, I welcome kindness in all the sizes :grin: )

Ganbari masu :bowing_man: :bowing_woman:

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing your gratitude, Tanuki san :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We’re burning bright as we all unite

And when it’s all said and done we’ll shine like the sun

So don’t let the fire die

When I listen to this song, I am amazed at how perfectly it applies for @YoungAdam san. For those who do not Know YoungAdam san, he is our perfect version of Adam Young (Most commonly known for his album “Owl City”) :grin: and the creator of the famous Wagon Welcome post that greets our new durtles :metal:

You are a true fan when you know that you love someone’s work even when most of the world doesn’t care. While most of the times you are happy that your artist exists and makes music, sometimes it feels painful when you don’t have anyone to share that fun with. But you won’t let the embers die, you feed it a little every time until you meet another fan with a similar ember and the joy you get discussing the favorite aspects and works of your artist is PRICELESS.

Whenever I am talking about Adam Young, that is the way I feel about YoungAdam :smiley: You can feel their passion and love that music. For most people it is hard to find something they love, YoungAdam san is one of the lucky ones who found what they truly care and love :slight_smile:

Life has a way of jading people and turn them cynical. Life causes the embers inside us to slowly fade away. Only by coming in contact with people like YoungAdam san, you can feel the heat of their burning passion slowly kindle your own embers until it can sustain and lift you up from the inside :fire: And you will find a renewed sense of purpose or zeal in your life :innocent:

YoungAdam san, I love our Adam Young music discussions. I can feel your passion light me up :fire: Thanks for sharing your passion and love. You ROCK !! And for “All The Things Bright and Beautiful”, I bestow upon you the title of Rocker Durtle

13 Likes

Hey, I appreciate the kind words so much, your message has literally made my day :heart:

My goal with the guide was to gather all that I learned by going through the program and bring it to the mainstream in an easy format for everyone to be able to understand and apply those key concepts. I still remember when doing WK 3 times a day wasn’t a thing, and now it’s readily advised on the forums. I also appreciate the fact that the guide was able to offer independence to all the new users reading it. Self-study is hard and we all get easily overwhelmed with questions and doubts on how to do things right. My hope with the guide is that it’s helping people finding their own path and working on it :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Glad to hear that @jprspereira san :slight_smile:

I think your impeccable guide achieved the goals you intended to accomplish Pereira san. At this point, it is an unofficial Bible of Wanikani. The gospel has spread far and wide and is helping durtles all over the word to ascend to the next level :grin: I am sure quite a few of them have achieved enlightenment.

I would have loved to be here at the same time as when you were completing WK, I missed out on that fun. At the very least, I get to enjoy the fruits and shade of the tree you planted 2 years ago :smiley:

6 Likes

You know you are in for a treat when you see a Nicholas Cage’s face superimposed on Pope Francis’ face. Interesting is too mild a word to describe this durtle. Of course, we are talking about the Peerless @plantron durtle.

I met plantron san on the GIF thread. Needless to say the first question I asked them was “Is that Nicholas Cage’s face superimposed on to pope’s face?” . They said “Maybe it’s a pope’s body superimposed on Nicolas Cage’s face.” :joy: With a Nic Cage profile picture and Kintama Noggins Title, every interaction is filled with fun :grin: And don’t forget the Rick Rolling, Because you know Plantron san is “Never Gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down” :wink:

Plantron san, When you are around, words like boredom, nondescript, meh etc. do not even enter the picture. It’s always a crazy-fun-filled-festival dialed up to the max :grin: Your funny bone tickles all of us. Thanks for filling our lives with cheer :slight_smile: I bestow upon you the title of Jolly Durtle

13 Likes

6 Likes