Good tattoo kanji for Drawing

I was thinking this myself too (for him/her), but like Leebo already mentioned it’d probably need some extra kanji to make it more proper. 者 or 人 wouldn’t work in this one for sure :slight_smile: Maybe there’s some creator-kanji I don’t know yet, like “art creator” -meaning.

Nah, “seven rings” was the intent, but what it actually read was “charcoal brazier”. We certainly had a chortle about that at the time.

U know, the director Yasujiro Ozu’s tombstone says 無 on it. In the documentary In Search of Ozu, they talked to some people about the meaning behind it and none of them knew why exactly. Maybe they did and just said they didn’t but anyway, I don’t think anyone has to know why you would get 絵 tattooed onto your body.
I thought that maybe if you researched Japanese art and found a concept or something that you really connected to, that would give you a stronger connection to your tattoo. I specially said Japanese art because you wouldn’t have to translate the word into kanji. I don’t even think 浮世絵 is a stupid tattoo if someone felt they had a real reason to get it as a tattoo.
But I think probably the most important thing is to make sure the tattoo looks aesthetically pleasing. (Obviously the meaning is actually the most important thing but we already established that you know what 絵 means and you know to check the meaning first.)

1 Like

Exactly why she should have also consulted here us before getting the tattoo

YES.
#dasitmane

I found it interesting how polite they were about the ones that were really bad. I have Kanji tattoos from a long time ago and I’m afraid to find out what they really mean vs what I was told they mean.

Took me some time on jisho to translate, but was totally worth it :rofl:

1 Like

For the ones who are curious and can’t read it yet:
馬鹿外人(ばか・がいじん)Idiot foreigner

3 Likes

I ran into this guy several months ago who had the tattoo 弦 on his arm. He said he wanted a tattoo for “guitar” and that’s what was recommended to him. I told him that it definitely didn’t mean “guitar” but that it could be used for the strings of a guitar. So close enough I guess?

1 Like

That’s really not far off what I had planned when I wanted more tattoos. Was gonna get all the tools I use (knitting needles, crochet hooks, trowel, loop tool etc) spread out in a fan with a banner saying MAKE OR DIE underneath.

3 Likes

I found 倶利迦羅紋紋 while poking around jisho.org the other day, according to them it means “tattoo (esp. a tattoo of a flame-wreathed dragon wrapped around and swallowing the tip of an upright sword); person with a tattoo​,” & now I want a tattoo of these kanji…

1 Like

Don’t do that. You are perfect as you are. :slight_smile:

The only acceptable way to get a kanji tattoo is fly to Yokohama and have Horiyoshi III tattoo you using tebori. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

For me it is obvious: 鰐蟹

3 Likes

Ah so was trying to figure out the kanji on a tattoo and was told that they were actually Chinese Kanji. I know nothing about Chinese kanji. I know Japanese kanji come from Chinese (or that is my understanding) but I’m thinking they aren’t interchangeable.

Big part of them are fairly well interchangeable, as in same generic meaning. Some are different though. Reading is almost always different, although there’s sometimes similarities between them.

2 Likes