Going through light novel breaking all grammars apart

I’d pay if it was on video. Does something like that already exist? I’ve seen people go through video games and anime, is there anyone who does books/manga?

If there is, can’t say that I know them :man_shrugging:

I actually think something like this would be nice if done well, i.e. not just a simple breakdown but explanations how everything fits together (in those cases where that isn’t obvious).

• I do agree that this is most useful at a certain level and it would be good to pick material at that level.
  • I think more difficult sentences should be explained in a few paragraphs in prose (unlike what you’ve been doing).
  • I think it should be somewhat “interactive” in that you display the text and clicking on a sentence brings up the explanation or something like that. There should be multiple levels of explanations that “unfold”. Something like 1. just the Japanese (maybe with spaces) 2. vocab annotation 3. grammar clues 4. translation. Basically the idea is that the reader can find the point where they can meaningfully think about the sentence, which may require some vocab or clues about particles. After that they can look at the answer.
  • Things that are common should just be given a name and maybe linked to an explanation (e.g. “explanatory no”).
  • A good style you should maybe consider is the “gloss” in linguistics papers. See the Japanese sentences in Topic-Comment Articulation in Japanese: A Categorial Approach - ACL Anthology for an example. (I just picked this paper at random)
    I’m not saying you should copy the style exactly, just as input to think about.

Hm, thank you. As I’m seeing from feedbacks there are several problems that I need to think about:

• Levels range - probably can be solved by increasing the amount of source materials.
  • Let the reader to do some self-exercising before showing all data. Maybe ask to mark subject/object/etc. Folding sounds good too.
  • The presentation of data.

I will try to do some more self analyse of how I’m reading novels. And if will think out something, maybe there will be the second draft of this :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.