Godan Conjugation chart request

Does anyone have a good Godan Conjugation chart/cheat sheet? I’m to the point in my grammar studies where the idea of conjugating verbs makes sense but then one word totally throws off my understanding. This happened most recently with 打つ none of the charts I currently have explain why it changes to 打ちます. Why the “ち”?

Here is the best chart that I found so far: Conjugation infographic

2 Likes

つ is in the た row, and the items of the た row are たちつてと. The masu stem of a godan verb uses the い column item, which for the た row is ち.

Perhaps the fact that ち is usually romanized as chi (which has no t in it) is throwing you off, but that’s just because the romanization schemes that get used most often in learning materials tend to be ones that encourage the right pronunciation from English speakers. Japanese speakers tend to write ち as “ti” in romaji, for prioritizing consistency of representation (ta ti tu te to) over English pronunciation (ta chi tsu te to).

I don’t have a chart to refer you to, unfortunately.

10 Likes

Wow, my brain was actually changing the the ち to さ for some reason. Until I saw your romaji “chi” I didn’t even realize I was doing it. Sorry for the rookie mistake. Thanks again Leebo.

3 Likes

Your explanation of the “ti” vs “chi” usage is very enlightining as well thanks.

For some reason? Mine does this all the time! I have no idea how to make it stop. I have to think ち = 5 = cinquo = chi every single time I see it even now. Thanks for the infographic, it’s better than the images I’ve captured from bunpro and the curedolly videos.

And here goes my cinquo mnemonic! If only I could switch to reading ti, it would solve some problems. Or maybe tchi. “tchiki boum” is a song in french. ち kiboom?

PS: sorry for derailing… But you may have inadvertently helped me with my ち さproblem!

This little nugget may help then…

If you type “ti” and “tu” in during your reviews, you’ll get ち and つ respectively. Typing “si” gets you し and “zi” gets you じ. And on the rare occasion you’ll need them, di and du come out ぢ and づ. (I think I’ve seen it once ぢ in all of Wanikani.)

So instead of typing “shitsu” for しつ you can just type “situ” and save yourself some typing! Works on IMEs as well.

Hopefully that helps speed up your reviews AND helps you remember chi and tsu are really T-row and shi is really S-row! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oooh! I’ll try. It’s gonna be hard. I’ve built habits for sure. I noticed ca gives か but I actually backspace furiously when I write ca to correct to ka, which is ridiculous!

Four times, to be exact. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.