Japanese Conjugated Verb Spreadsheet (505 verbs in 9 different forms)

Good afternoon all!

After a few years of creeping around the forums, I finally moved to Japan. As it turns out my vocabulary was quite lacking.

For that reason I have compiled a spreadsheet of 505 verbs, conjugated into 9 forms and seperated into their 3 groups (Godan, Ichidan, and the two irregular).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MtDZXtlzJ9OovGibGUpleOjU-7h5viaK/view?usp=sharing

Present / Future

• Formal
  • Formal Negative
  • Informal
  • Informal Negative

Past

• Formal
  • Formal Negative
  • Informal
  • Informal Negative

Te form

As I said, my Japanese ability is somewhere right around N5, so I am by no means a master of these verbs. The list is a data dump from:

and

I took the information from these 2 pages, pasted in into excel, and cleaned up the data. I then went through and with a bit of excel magic, conjugated the verbs to the appropriate forms. You will notice some blank cells in the column for Kanji, the website did not provide the kanji for some of the verbs. So if you know them, please let me know so I can add them.

I created this for myself to reference when needed, but I would like to share this with you. I hope that it can help at least a few people.

I spot checked a good chunk of the data, but not all. If you find any errors, please feel free to let me know, I can fix it up in my free time.

I hope that link works, not sure how else to share an excel file here.

25 Likes

This is super useful, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

This has been on my To-do list for ages, but Iโ€™ve never gotten around to itโ€ฆ still:

Conjugation drills: Don's Japanese Conjugation Drill

Originally posted here:

3 Likes

Actually, I just answered a few questions and Iโ€™m not entirely sure that the quiz was right. Use at your own peril I guess?

Sorry, I should really try things before recommending themโ€ฆ

I made a Conjugation Anki deck a while back that used the same data dump. If youโ€™re interested in trying it out here is the link.

https://community.wanikani.com/t/Conjugation-Practice/13519/1

Thanks for your effort! I downloaded it, will probably be super useful since I need to practise grammar and verbs much more by now, otherwise Iโ€™ll be stuck in only Kanji forever.

You are a saint. :star_struck:

PSA: Verb conjugation becomes fairly easy when you get to understand the pattern.

Disclaimer: I may or may not have made some mistakes below. Do feel free to point them out so I can edit the post.

(irregular verbs not included)

• Ichidan verbs
    • Always end in ใ‚‹
    • Verb stem is everything before the ending ใ‚‹
      • From now on, [Stem] refers to such stem
    • Present/future polite form is [Stem]ใพใ™
    • Plain past is [Stem]ใŸ
    • Plain present negative is [Stem]ใชใ„
    • ใฆๅฝข is [Stem]ใฆ
    • ใŸใ„ๅฝข is [Stem]ใŸใ„
    • Example: ้ฃŸในใ‚‹
      • Stem: ใŸใน
      • Polite forms:
        • ใŸในใพใ™
        • ใŸในใพใ—ใŸ
        • ใŸในใพใ›ใ‚“
        • ใŸในใพใ›ใ‚“ใงใ—ใŸ
      • Plain past:
        • ใŸในใŸ
      • Plain negative:
        • ใŸในใชใ„
      • ใฆ and ใŸใ„ forms:
        • ใŸในใฆ
        • ใŸในใŸใ„
    • Apply the same rules to verbs like ไธŠใ’ใ‚‹, ่ฆ‹ใ‚‹, ๆ•ฐใˆใ‚‹, ๆ•™ใˆใ‚‹ and see for yourselves.

And so on.

• Godan verbs
    • Always end with a ใ† sound
      • Including some ใ‚‹-ending verbs
    • Stem is everything before the ending ใ† sound plus the equivalent ใ„ sound
      • I.e., ใ€œใ‚‹โ†’ใ€œใ‚Š, ใ€œใ‚€โ†’ใ€œใฟ, ใ€œใ™โ†’ใ€œใ—, etc.
      • From now on, [Stem] refers to such stem, and [Verb] to [Stem]ใƒผใ„-sound
    • Present/future polite form is [Stem]ใพใ™
    • Plain past is
      • [Verb]ใ‚“ใ  for ใ€œใ‚€, ใ€œใฌ and ใ€œใถ verbs
      • [Verb]ใฃใŸ for ใ€œใ†, ใ€œใค and ใ€œใ‚‹ verbs
      • [Verb]ใ„ใŸ for ใ€œใ verbs
      • [Verb]ใ„ใ  for ใ€œใ verbs
      • [Stem]ใŸ for remaining verbs
    • Plain present negative is
      • [Verb]ใ‚ใชใ„ for ใ€œใ† verbs
      • [Verb][ใ‚-sound]ใชใ„ for remaining verbs
    • ใฆๅฝข is
      • [Verb]ใ‚“ใง for ใ€œใ‚€, ใ€œใฌ and ใ€œใถ verbs
      • [Verb]ใฃใฆ for ใ€œใ†, ใ€œใค and ใ€œใ‚‹ verbs
      • [Verb]ใ„ใฆ for ใ€œใ verbs
      • [Verb]ใ„ใง for ใ€œใ verbs
      • [Stem]ใฆ for remaining verbs
    • ใŸใ„ๅฝข is
      • [Stem]ใŸใ„
    • Examples: ่ชญใ‚€, ๆญปใฌ, ๅญฆใถ, ่ฒทใ†, ๆ‰“ใค, ไธŠใ‚‹, ๆญฉใ, ๆณณใ, ่ฉฑใ™
      • Stems: ใ‚ˆใฟ, ใ—ใซ, ใพใชใณ, ใ‹ใ„, ใ†ใก, ใฎใผใ‚Š, ใ‚ใ‚‹ใ, ใŠใ‚ˆใŽ, ใฏใชใ—
      • [Verb]s: ใ‚ˆ, ใ—, ใพใช, ใ‹, ใ†, ใฎใผ, ใ‚ใ‚‹, ใŠใ‚ˆ, ใฏใช
      • Polite forms:
        • ใ‚ˆใฟใพใ™ใ€ใ—ใซใพใ™ใ€ใพใชใณใพใ™ใ€ใ‹ใ„ใพใ™ใ€ใ†ใกใพใ™ใ€ใ‚ใ‚‹ใใพใ™ใ€ใŠใ‚ˆใŽใพใ™ใ€ใฏใชใ—ใพใ™
        • ใ‚ˆใฟใพใ—ใŸใ€ใ—ใซใพใ—ใŸใ€ใพใชใณใพใ—ใŸใ€ใ‹ใ„ใพใ—ใŸใ€ใ†ใกใพใ—ใŸใ€ใ‚ใ‚‹ใใพใ—ใŸใ€ใŠใ‚ˆใŽใพใ—ใŸใ€ใฏใชใ—ใพใ—ใŸ
        • ใ‚ˆใฟใพใ›ใ‚“ใ€ใ—ใซใพใ›ใ‚“ใ€ใพใชใณใพใ›ใ‚“ใ€ใ‹ใ„ใพใ›ใ‚“ใ€ใ†ใกใพใ›ใ‚“ใ€ใ‚ใ‚‹ใใพใ›ใ‚“ใ€ใŠใ‚ˆใŽใพใ›ใ‚“ใ€ใฏใชใ—ใพใ›ใ‚“
        • ใ‚ˆใฟใพใ›ใ‚“ใงใ—ใŸใ€ใ—ใซใพใ›ใ‚“ใงใ—ใŸใ€ใพใชใณใพใ›ใ‚“ใงใ—ใŸใ€ใ‹ใ„ใพใ›ใ‚“ใงใ—ใŸใ€ใ†ใกใพใ›ใ‚“ใงใ—ใŸใ€ใ‚ใ‚‹ใใพใ›ใ‚“ใงใ—ใŸใ€ใŠใ‚ˆใŽใพใ›ใ‚“ใงใ—ใŸใ€ใฏใชใ—ใพใ›ใ‚“ใงใ—ใŸ
      • Plain negative:
        • ใ‚ˆใพใชใ„ใ€ใ—ใชใชใ„ใ€ใพใชใฐใชใ„ใ€ใ‹ใ‚ใชใ„ใ€ใ†ใŸใชใ„ใ€ใฎใผใ‚‰ใชใ„ใ€ใ‚ใ‚‹ใ‹ใชใ„ใ€ใŠใ‚ˆใŒใชใ„ใ€ใฏใชใ•ใชใ„
      • ใฆ and plain past forms:
        • ใ‚ˆใ‚“ใงใ€ใ—ใ‚“ใงใ€ใพใชใ‚“ใงใ€ใ‹ใฃใฆใ€ใ†ใฃใฆใ€ใฎใผใฃใฆใ€ใ‚ใ‚‹ใ„ใฆใ€ใŠใ‚ˆใ„ใงใ€ใฏใชใ—ใฆ
        • ใ‚ˆใ‚“ใ ใ€ใ—ใ‚“ใ ใ€ใพใชใ‚“ใ ใ€ใ‹ใฃใŸใ€ใ†ใฃใŸใ€ใฎใผใฃใŸใ€ใ‚ใ‚‹ใ„ใŸใ€ใŠใ‚ˆใ„ใ ใ€ใฏใชใ—ใŸ
      • ใŸใ„ form:
        • ใ‚ˆใฟใŸใ„ใ€ใ—ใซใŸใ„ใ€ใพใชใณใŸใ„ใ€ใ‹ใ„ใŸใ„ใ€ใ†ใกใŸใ„ใ€ใฎใผใ‚ŠใŸใ„ใ€ใ‚ใ‚‹ใใŸใ„ใ€ใŠใ‚ˆใŽใŸใ„ใ€ใฏใชใ—ใŸใ„
1 Like

The biggest issue people had was not getting the point of the questions since itโ€™s very easy to gloss over the English and focus on the Japanese part of the question when you get into the swing of it. Iโ€™m adding an answer page so thatโ€™s itโ€™s more clear whatโ€™s going on.

And yes itโ€™s quite possible that mistakes have crept through. Thatโ€™s the danger with these things! If you happen to try again and find an issue, then please post it on the threadโ€ฆ

1 Like

Hey, I saw this and wanted to make a quick little site that would do conjugation quizzes based on the list. Iโ€™m sure thereโ€™s prob a bunch of sites out there already that do this.

https://naninani.netlify.com/

It uses your wanikani api key to only show you words to conjugate that youโ€™ve seen in your lessons. The only conjugation I saw that I think was off was kuru.

Might take a little bit to load the first time after you input your key (loading all the possible verbs), but should be fast after that.

Let me know if there are any bugs / improvements youโ€™d like me to add.

Thanks for the list!

3 Likes

Your handling of โ€œnโ€ sounds is broken, with it making it impossible to type in ใชใ€ใซใ€ใฌใ€ใญใ€ใฎ sounds. ๆŠ•ใ’ใ‚‹ is the first such example Iโ€™ve come across (Types in as ใ‚“ใ‚ใ’ใ‚‹). Perhaps make the ใ‚“ sound require two keystrokes?

1 Like

hey! thanks for pointing this out. published a fix, a hard refresh should fix it. Err, looks like something else is broken now. Will fix asap :slight_smile:

Itโ€™s a great tool. Thank you!

I also had difficulty entering n. Eg if I try to enter ใŸใ‚Šใ‚‹ it goes wrong (firefox on android)

A really nice feature would be if it could display the verb type / rule that gives the conjugation. Eg from this page: Japanese verb conjugation - Wikipedia

For example I was stuck on understanding the ้€ใ‚‹ te-form. It would be really helpful to have a pointer appear together with the answer (i.e. that itโ€™s a v5r - godan with ru ending verb).

Thank you again for creating such a useful tool

Appreciate the feedback! Should have the inputs fixed now. I added some basic info about the words on the answer panel now and a link to the wikipedia info you suggested. Iโ€™ll think about how to better present this info.

1 Like

Thank you - that has fixed my text entry problems, and great to have the extra info

I think the answers for ๆฐ—ไป˜ใ are wrong. Instead of accepting ใใฅใ with whatever conjugation, it demands ใใšใ or it registers as incorrect:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.