Garden Appreciation Thread

Next, my first ever メロン…

I have always viewed メロン as terribly difficult to grow. But these have done so well.

I can’t wait to cut into it!

11 Likes

We both know a melon that never grew up

5 Likes

Yes, but Oh so ripe!

4 Likes

保蔵
保存食
保存食品

Still looking for common words for food canning. This is when I look for canning supplies on amazon.jp, and see what words are used.

8 Likes

You’re showing a bit too much skin for this forum, I think

3 Likes

You had me going. I am paranoid about pictures with reflections, but I still don’t see any.

1 Like

I was referring to this smiley

1 Like

I figured that out.
I took the picture early this morning, just after getting up, so there would be no guessing what a reflection would show. :japanese_ogre:

2 Likes

サヤインゲン

ルッコラ苗

じぞうの新しい家

10 Likes

荏胡麻

I am just leaving this word here, because I never knew the word for this plant in my garden.

I need to find out if it will accidentally cross pollinate with my 赤シソ.

1 Like

My garden will grow soon. I use the 段ボール method.

トマト

8 Likes

There was a second one!

A seed must have blown out of my little pots (they did occasionally fall over), and down to the far end of the garden, because one sprouted out of nowhere in my flowerbed :blush:

Both of these guys have been moved into place now and seem to be doing well - they grow very long tap roots, so don’t like being moved once they’re established - and I’m having a go at germinating some more this autumn, along with some sweet violets.

Sweet violet:   匂菫 - においすみれ
Genus (Viola):    菫 -            すみれ

10 Likes

One of the things that I like about columbine is that they like to mysteriously germinate on their own. I always keep my eye out for babies when I am weeding.

4 Likes

I very nearly pulled this one, because it was so wholly unexpected. Keeping a much beadier eye out now!

6 Likes

I like bleeding hearts in the same way. They last for years, disappear when they are done, and seed themselves when it suits them.

4 Likes

I’ve managed to harvest another large quantity of chilies. I really didn’t think I’d get this much in the second batch. I’m very pleased about this! ^>^

Washed and toweled

Prepared to go in the oven at 80°C to dry for about 8-10 hours with the oven door ajar.

I’ll have to check on them from time to time. The thicker, meatier, ones will take the longest, while the thin small ones can be taken out earlier. I try them out by snapping them in half, to ensure they are truly dried out when they go in my dried chilies jar (ready to be turned into chili powder or chili flakes or whatever! :yum: )

10 Likes

nom-nom!

Those look great! I am so glad that you posted them. It is so nice to have a finished harvest. Even a window-sill or balcony gardener can have the same successes (and failures) that a farmer has. We try our best, but most things remain out of our control, which makes the end bounty so much more valuable.

For me, to increase the value of the finished product, I try to not buy any of it at the store. We get so used to the convenience of being able to walk into the store and buy anything, even out of season. So, this year I didn’t buy any cantaloupe. The six that matured on my vines (there is still one left) may not be the best ever grown, but they grew in my garden, and I watched the miracle happen. If I truly had some willpower, I could now decide to not buy any at all this winter, which will make my own next summer all the more sweeter.

Now, you have grown and processed enough peppers to get your family through some of the year. You are a real farmer! :woman_farmer:

6 Likes

Dried (いん)(げん)(まめ)

I don’t know if dried beans are a very productive use of my garden space. But it is satisfying to put some up. None of my beans were the best for eating green, so I will have to find a good variety for that next year. And I will still plant a small patch for beans to dry. I still have aspirations of growing enough soybeans to make 味噌(みそ) too.

8 Likes

Still harvesting food each day.

I dried the シソleaves and made it into ふりかけ.

My garden has never given me such joy. My goal next year is to double in size. That should give us enough growing space to be self reliant in vegetables and some fruit. :slight_smile:

My first garden was over 25 years ago, so this has taken a while.

8 Likes

堆肥(たいひ)(やま)

段ボール down for expansion

I am starting the work to double the garden’s size next year.

As some tomatoes ripened inside, I realized there was one of the yellow tomatoes that I intended to save seeds from. So I put it in a bowl outside to ferment a little. This morning, I saw something on the ground, and realized that a squirrel had grabbed my tomato and eaten the good stuff out. :frowning:
I guess I need get seeds for that next year.
Those little snots.

8 Likes