Fun Kanji, New Kanji, Non WK kanji

I posted that in some other topic like 2 weeks ago. Did you steal it?!

5 Likes

Actually didn’t see it, so thats a pretty wacko coincidence.

I can change my answer to 淫 tho

6 Likes

You turn away for one second and people run off with your kanji…

34 Likes

Maybe I should change, actually…

葛藤ーかっとう-discord, antagonism

I think these kanji together really look like their meaning for some reason.

(arrowroot and wisteria respectively)

3 Likes

I feel like we should move this to the Japanese Kanji section of the forums…

Anyway, here’s a good one: - healing

I also found this one in ご注文はうさぎですか (it’s a goldmine for kanji) in the form of 癒して. I didn’t recognize it in such tiny font, though I should have recognized it from 癒し系 since I was just looking up 癒し系 manga last week…

6 Likes

That one’s taught at level 55! :durtle_the_explorer:

7 Likes

Aah, I forgot the rules!

2 Likes

Feel free to move it there. I am not too versed in moving things. I just figured it is not being discussed in Japanese so it felt campfirey to me but if you think it is fine to move there, that would be cool too.

EDIT: I am adding a Rule 6 for you :wink::turtle::upside_down_face:

SECOND EDIT: Hopefully clear I am just teasing you. No ill will. The rules were mostly meant to be guidelines anyway. It is a forum so anyone can do whatever they want to. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Most of the Japanese Language section of the forum is still people talking in English, just discussing things about Japanese. It’s only the Japanese Language -> Japanese Only subsection that’s limited to just Japanese.

Moved now.

1 Like

Oh ok, neato. Thanks. I was not aware of that since I live primarily in campfire when I am here. :pizza::balloon::partying_face:

1 Like

It also has the meaning of conflit, especially for emotional/internal conflicts.

Random sentence from the interwebs:

葛藤がないわけではないが

“It’s not like I’m not conflicted about it, but…”

I remember that word also appeared in 働く魔王さま, in a sentence explaining that Maou, as the Lord of Darkness, had no hesitation/inner conflict about using his powers to steal money from the bank.

1 Like

I think the extra rules are funny. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I’ve been reading 「龍の住む家」lately, the Japanese translation of The Fire Within by Chris D’Lacey, and it’s really excellent. There are also a lot of low to medium difficulty kanji that have been fun to learn outside of all the gross academic Japanese I usually have to work with. Some of my favorite words/kanji so far are 囁く(ささやく)、擦る(こする)、and 諍い(いさかい)。I don’t think any of these are used in WK, but correct me if I’m wrong!

3 Likes

擦 is a level 43 kanji. I don’t expect the other two to be in here, though.

2 Likes

梢ーこずえ-treetop, tip of a branch

5 Likes

臼 (うす): mortar (as in mortar/pestle)
竿 (さお): a pole/beam (fishing rod: 釣り竿)

3 Likes

なんじ Old fashioned “you”, used with people of equal or inferior status. “Thou”. Can also be written

Speaking of social status and pronouns,

ちん “I”, used by royalty. For that reason, it’s usually translated as the royal we.

9 Likes

oh, i remember exactly where i learned this from! - 小淵沢しらせ from 宇宙よりも遠い場所

name ones are crazy sometimes but other times they have such a distinctive meaning they stick with no effort and later on you see them in the actual word and instantly know and it feels so gratifying aah

here are some joyo body parts wk randomly omits

喉(のど)throat
膝(ひざ)knee
肘(ひじ)elbow

i also learned a pair of legendary 訓読み 形声文字 from twitter recently

儘(まま)a continuing state
壗(まま)steep slope

6 Likes

Thanks to this thread, I keep trying to remember random kanjis I know, which is pretty good practice.

At first I was trying (failing) to remember some of leeches, but then that frustration brought to mind ひる leech (the actual animal)

4 Likes