Fun Kanji, New Kanji, Non WK kanji

Just learned 天狗 (てんぐ)and by extension a new kanji 狗 for dog. :star_struck:

4 Likes

Bought some Japanese candies, and some were soft candies with little flavored jelly candy bits in them, with 4 different flavors in the package. All the flavors were written in kanji rather than kana. Which was particularly surprising when I looked up this one: 珈琲 (coffee). Phonetic kanji, the individual kanji are (according to jisho) “ornamental hairpin” and “string of many pearls”. The other kanji were all WK kanji, except for strawberry 苺. I was definitely surprised to see both of those written as kanji rather than kana.

3 Likes

薪 (まき) - firewood :fire:

3 Likes

I naively thought 憂鬱 was one of it’s kind kanji, but today I met another good one, 鬣 : mane (of horse) (and I also learned the English word “mane” :sweat_smile:)

Also, now that I started to dive into native books, I’m quite surprised at the big number of alternate spelling that are used for basic words… In 30 pages, I already encountered 眼 for 目, 眸 for 瞳, 解かる for 分かる, 逢う for 会う, 脊中 for 背中, 厭な for 嫌な…

But the most hilarious one was 沓を穿いていた. After scratching my head and checking the dictionary, both kanji are actually alternative spelling, and the sentence is actually just plain 靴を履いていた…

2 Likes

They often have different nuances though, which makes it interesting.

I recently learned this can also be read たきぎ. I don’t know which is more common, but it’s interesting because it’s one of those cases where they take a word that looks like it’s going to be written with kanji X and Y and write it with another completely different kanji. In this case, seeing the hiragana one could guess it would be written 焚き木.

I really like words like this. Other examples include うまや (stable) and てのひら (palm of one’s hand, this one is even here on WK). Granted, these two can also be written, respectively, 馬屋 and 手の平, though.

3 Likes

Just came to say this thread is awesome, although I cannot really contribute at this moment. It’s not like I’ll remember much, I just like looking at kanji you don’t see everyday.

I was really proud that I new the meaning of かび (黴) a few posts back, because of hearing it in the first scene of the anime toradora years back, until I learned that its a really common word, just written in hiragana most of the time :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, I love those! I suspect that also includes 湖 (a lake is a “water ocean”?) and 偏る, which can also be written 片寄る. For that one I actually used 方 and 寄る as a mnemonic before realizing it was a valid way to write it.

4 Likes

I didn’t remember these, nice :+1:

They certainly become easy to remember readings if you can infer the logic.

2 Likes

Would my idea of 茸 theoretically being 木の子 be a valid addition to your list?
:smiley:

I don’t think it’s ever written like that though.

2 Likes

According to my dictionary, yes :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, nice one, I remember thinking the same thing the first time I heard this word.

2 Likes

We should make a separate thread to collect these! :smiley:

4 Likes

Oh, yay! I remember I was pretty disappointed when I first looked it up on jisho and only found茸, so finding this out is nice.

3 Likes

If you ever make a thread like that, could you @ me, so I can find it easily? I’d definitely be interested in seeing one.

I also came across 嘴 (くちばし), which means beak, and I think it might be fair to think about that coming from 口箸? A beak is basically mouth-chopsticks, right?
XD

3 Likes

That would be great, but it appears to have come from 口端, actually :joy:

2 Likes

That works just as well though! And now it makes for a good pun. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Aww, that’s too bad! Though 端 makes sense too.

By the way, what’s the resource you use to find out the actual origins of Japanese words?

1 Like

My dictionary shows these things for a lot of words:

If you’re interested, it’s the デジタル大辞泉, I bought it on the Microsoft Store. Really good dictionary if you ask me, it’s always my first option for looking up anything :wink:

Actually, I also posted another print of it for 茸 just a few posts ago, I just realized

5 Likes

It has a single review, giving it 5 stars. Was that you? :stuck_out_tongue:

Serious question, does it have pitch accent information?

2 Likes

I might just give it another 5 star review :wink:

Sadly, no. It doesn’t bother me because I don’t mind that too much, but it is probably the biggest con for those who do. I believe the スーパー大辞林 does have that information, though.

2 Likes