Friday May 27 2022 Content Updates

New mod? :eyes:

Welcome!

1 Like

It’s the one little doodle I’ve done for Tofugu :joy:

See the 〜てある page on the Tofugu Grammar Guide for context!

5 Likes

Love it! And the blog. I even wrote an app a script (!!) to keep up with it, but I don’t think I’ve read that one.

5 Likes

And it’s on purpose :bangbang:

Tofugu blog was always good. I liked it long before I started WaniKani.

2 Likes

I take advantage of your app a lot, so I want to say thank you again!

1 Like

I just checked out Tofugu Latest – very cool! :smile:

As an FYI, it looks like it’s showing articles based on date, which unfortunately means that it won’t grab new updates to the Tofugu Grammar Guide because those pages aren’t organized chronologically.

6 Likes

Ahhhhhhhh!

This needs fixing. Thanks for the heads up!

(Note to others who read this here: the script just uses their RSS feed to track what to show. Catching updates to the grammar guide will require some thought as they aren’t reflected in the feed.)

3 Likes

Of course!

We usually batch publish ~5-8 pages to the Grammar Guide every few months or so.

3 Likes

Not entirely new, they’re in some context sentences such as 片言’s third sentence

1 Like

There haven’t been that many context sentences at those levels until recently though, haven’t there?

1 Like

This sentence in particular was added a month ago in the April 29th updates I believe…

2 Likes

Is it possible to make reading/meaning warnings browsable from the website?

About the design, I am not so sure; but perhaps, hide in <details> (or collapses)?

Please add the word Gyoza 餃子 to WK.

Does Miso have multiple ways it can be written? 味噌 looks different than what WK has slightly. WK has it was a 4 square box/rice paddy looking shape instead of two box’s above with two drops in them.

3 Likes

What you typed in your comment is exactly the same as the kanji at the end of this URL, https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/味噌, and they both look exactly the same zoomed in on my computer.

Font difference perhaps?

1 Like

It seems to be. I use the script that gives me random fonts, and I’ve definitely seen both the one posted here, and the one WK shows when checking the site.

1 Like

It’s called 異体字(いたいじ). You should learn about them at some point.

1 Like

There is a slight difference, but you have to look very very carefully. Look top right box. It shows in like a rice paddy radical, but the link itself and other places shows it as two box with one drop each in the boxes up top.

I’m not sure if it’s a font thing or not.

噌 isn’t a joyo kanji, so it’s not standardized, meaning differences may crop up occasionally. Both forms are in use for this kanji, so depending on the font you may get different results. The version with the rice paddy is a rendering of the kanji where the right radical is rendered in its simplified form, which is consistent with kanji having that radical that are on the joyo list, the other one is the traditional version. You’ll see both from time to time.

3 Likes

Font difference - it did not look like that for me (I checked)

@TofuguSayaka Please add 雨天 rainy weather.