Friday June 17 2022 Content Updates

Kanji

(10) - Added “animal call” and “call” to the allow list.

(6) - Added し as on’yomi.

(34) - Added “joy” to the allow list.

(34) - Added “decay” to the allow list.

(33) - Added “pile up” and “heap up” to the allow list.

(33) - Added “clothing” to the allow list.

(24) - Added “difference” to the allow list.

Vocabulary

装い (33) - Added “outfit” to the allow list.

解く (23) - Added “to invite” to the block list.

〜症 (27) - Added “illness” to the allow list.

鳴く (10) - Changed primary meaning to “to make an animal sound”, made “to chirp” an alternative meaning, added “to call”, “to meow” and “to miaow” to the allow list and updated the meaning explanation.

簡易 (33) - Added “simplicity” and “ease” to the allow list, and added two context sentences.

関連 (19) - Added “relatives” to block list.

拡張 (33) - Added “enlarge”, “expand”, “extend” and “widen” to the allow list, updated the meaning explanation, and added two context sentences.

拡大 (33) - Added “magnify”, “enlarge”, “expand”, “extension”, “extend” and “zoom in on” to the allow list, updated the meaning explanation, and added two context sentences.

傷つける (34) - Moved “to injure” and “to wound” to allow list, added “to hurt”, “to scratch something” and “to damage something” to the allow list, updated the meaning explanation, and added two context sentences.

近々 (7) - Added “in the near future” as primary meaning, added “near future” to the allow list, moved “before long” to the allow list and updated the meaning explanation.

漠然 (33) - Changed word type to “adjective” and “adverb”, and updated the meaning explanation.

整然 (13) - Changed word type to “adjective” and “adverb”, and updated the meaning explanation.

依然 (36) - Updated the meaning explanation.

躍如 (47) - Changed word type to “adjective” and “adverb”, and updated the meaning explanation.

悠々 (54) - Updated the meaning explanation.

敢然 (57) - Changed word type to “adjective” and “adverb”, and updated the meaning explanation.

巣立ち (31) - Added “leaving the nest”, “becoming independent”, “fly the nest” and “flying the nest” to the allow list, and added one context sentence.

境界 (24) - Added “border” to the allow list.

尊い (33) - Added “valuable” and “sacred” to the allow list.

内偵 (31) - Added “scout” and “investigate secretly” to the allow list.

27 Likes

Thank you, Jenny!

5 Likes

Thank you, TrinityBringer!

1 Like

I think “to cry” should be added to 鳴く. It was the translation used when I first encountered the word.

1 Like

Request for the week (while it’s hot under my annoyed little fingers).

I just failed a review by entering “antiseptic” for 殺菌(さっきん). None of my JE dictionaries include that word, but they do include “an antimicrobial; a bactericide; a germicide; a sterilizer; a disinfectant; a germicidal agent”.

“Huh.” I thinks. So what’s an “antiseptic” in English?

Google tells me “Antiseptics and disinfectants are both widely used to control infections. They kill microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, and fungi using chemicals called biocides. Disinfectants are used to kill germs on nonliving surfaces. Antiseptics kill microorganisms on your skin.

I’m gonna go with “close enough” so I added a user synonym.

Perhaps you fine folks can save some future person the annoyance of figuring all this out. :grin:

3 Likes

Personally, I like that they teach (and distinguish) ()く and ()く.

If they accept “to cry” it should be with a warning, IMO.

2 Likes

They can just put it as a synonym, and not the primary meaning. I think people will be able to pick up that it means an animal’s cry and not a tear-jerking cry, based on the other synonyms.

2 Likes

I would be a contra-example. :smile:

I distinctly remember wondering why I kept missing the review and finally realizing there were two ways to write “the same” word that had been in my head for many years.

This is a perfect example of my suspicion that this site might have been designed by people with a decent vocabulary that learned to read much later. This kind of forced disambiguation has helped me multiple times.

4 Likes

Thank you, Jenny :grin:

1 Like

Thanks Jenny :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please consider adding the word 雨天 rainy weather.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion @kosticht! We’ve decided not to add “to cry” a synonym because we’d like to keep it distinct from 泣く. We could add it to the warning list (to produce a shake) but it seems like a better candidate for a user synonym, and the warning list overrides user synonyms.

I just failed a review by entering “antiseptic” for 殺菌さっきん.

Hi @Rrwrex! 殺菌 usually refers to the action of sterilization, rather than the thing that sterilizes, if that makes sense! So “antiseptic” could be misleading as a synonym here, but of course you’re right to add it if it’s close enough for your purposes!

Please consider adding the word 雨天 rainy weather.

Thanks @RainbowBrite13, this is on our list for the next round of additions!

3 Likes