Father Kanji

So I just started level 3 vocab, and I noticed that in お父さん the Wanikani description says you need to use the kun’yomi , which I didn’t learned while learning the Kanji… but I did, when I look up the Father Kanji it says ちち is the Kun’yomi reading (there is no other reading listed in fact). Is there something I don’t understand? Please help, thank you!

Strictly speaking, とう is an exceptional reading for this kanji, not a kunyomi (according to this post, it’s ateji). You could send them an email if you want.

I think that piece of text in the description for this is a boilerplate text for things that don’t use the onyomi when you were taught the onyomi before, but they didn’t consider that “not onyomi” doesn’t necessarily equal “yes kunyomi”.

3 Likes

@Leebo San, should we be prepared for ateji in the wild? is it a lesser issue or not?

1 Like

Well, exceptional readings are just that, exceptions, but they’re not uncommon by any means.

For example, 寿司 (すし) is ateji.
Things like 大人 and 今日 are jukujikun (sometimes referred to as a segment of ateji, but specifically words with a Japanese native reading that are made from 2 or more kanji)

So you’ll run into these words plenty, you just have to memorize them on their own when you do.

2 Likes

I think they do usually say explicitly if something is an exception, so it seems more like mis-applied boilerplate than poorly worded boilerplate.

2 Likes

Yes they say it’s an exception but also says it is using the Kun’yomi. I noticed the same error with おかあさん

"Since this word is made up of a single kanji, it uses the kun’yomi reading. You have to remember the かあ portion. Here’s a mnemonic to help you to remember it: "

Thank you for your responses, I will only remember this is an exception and not kun’yomi!

1 Like

Couldn’t the kanji just have multiple kun’yomi, though?

Kanji can have multiple kun’yomi, but in this case it’s not on’yomi or kun’yomi, it’s 当て字 (ateji)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.