Error for 手掛かり reading

It says the reading for 手 + 掛かる. However 掛かる = かかる and not がかる

They’re kind of inconsistent about mentioning rendaku. If you email them to mention rendaku, they will add it.

3 Likes

I think after a while they just assume you’ve realized that you need to add rendaku.

3 Likes

Even so it’s still wrong to say the reading is X + Y when in reality it’s X + Z

There is no word 掛かる (がかる) for which you are (I guess, since that would make it the Z in your equation) proposing to explain this reading by.

The origin of the word is 掛かる, and via rendaku it shifts. The mnemonic clarifies that there isn’t some other word in question, like 避ける and 避ける, where two words share the same way of being written.

The same format of reading mnemonic is used with 手 (て) and 紙 (かみ) making 手紙 (てがみ). The only difference is on that word’s page they say “Just watch out for the rendaku.” It’s still 手 plus 紙 though.

So if you want to, you can email them to ask it. They might explain why they don’t want to add it, but I kind of doubt it.

2 Likes

I remember a commenton a different thread, that they stop mentioning it after a certain point, so you start to notice it for yourself. Letting go of our hands, so to speak.

3 Likes

I remember a comment on a different thread, that they stop mentioning it after a certain point, so you start to notice it for yourself. Letting go of our hands, so to speak.

I don’t know what the official stance is, but I recently got this word myself. Along with a lot of other rendaku’ed words. At a point, memorizing rendaku becomes tedious beyond use. Getting a “feel” for when Japanese people would prefer a voiced to an unvoiced consonant seems better. (And then you can memorize exceptions).

This one is easy for me, because it seems like a natural rendaku. Others, less so. 氷河 from the same general WK level comes to mind.

2 Likes

It’s more like X + Y’

2 Likes

+1 for the ‘natural rendaku’ concept from me (thanks novakac!)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.