Unmentioned Rendaku

I was just going through level 37 vocab lessons and came across this:

It took me a couple of tries to realize that I was typing かんしゃ instead of かんじゃ. The reading explanation says that the word uses the onyomi readings, which is true. But it doesn’t mention the rendaku on the second syllable.

Nothing major, but I just thought it should be updated. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

You should email them. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Will do, I was kinda posting as a litmus test to see if it was appropriate to bug them with an email - that being the first response is good enough for me, lol. :smile:

Or mention @anon20839864, since she deals with these things

2 Likes

I emailed them once about the character counter in the bio being one character off :upside_down_face:
It was bothering me because I couldn’t add a period at the end of my last sentence

9 Likes

Gah, I hate bugging people! <_<

But needs must, I suppose. :smile:

2 Likes

They said it wasn’t a priority… but it was still worth it. I bet it’s on a list somewhere, still to be fixed.

1 Like

I emailed them this morning to ask them to add an on’yomi reading for a kanji… even though it’s the kun’yomi that’s accepted. But I was marked wrong when it should have shook, so it bothered me (even though I didn’t remember the kun’yomi and would have gotten it wrong anyway :joy:).

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever emailed them, really. But for some reason this was bugging me. Maybe just cuz I’m more active now than I used to be.

Good to know, though. I’ll be more confident about emailing them in the future. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’ve seen Kristen & co mention a couple of times that they prefer having these things sent by email because it’s easier for them to remember it exists keep track of user input that way.

7 Likes

That’s good to know as well. I’ll keep that in mind.

Hmm, when I sent them an email with some typos a while back, I mentioned that I’d noticed several items which didn’t acknowledge rendaku. They said it was deliberate because they hope that you start to notice these things yourself as you reach higher levels.

2 Likes

They responded to me with the same! I’m surprised you made it to level 37 without noticing this @ninjaflautist90 :stuck_out_tongue:

In the majority of cases, we stop pointing out the rendaku for items after level 10. You’ve seen enough of them at that point, and hopefully gotten used to seeing them and picking them out, that we don’t feel they need special mention in most cases

便所 got me to ask on level 11… :frowning:

4 Likes

@Radish8 @atonement For some reason かんじゃ just sounds weird to me… Probably because there’s also the word 感謝 that doesn’t get rendaku’d.

者 does appear to get rendaku’d to じゃ a bunch though, so there’s that. Like with those 忍者.

2 Likes

I’d say that you’re safe :eyes:

6 Likes

“canja” is chicken soup in Portuguese… and u know you have to give chicken soup to kids when they’re sick (aka little patients), right? :crazy_face:

10 Likes

That’s a convenient mnemonic. :joy:

2 Likes

Off topic, but I remember reading Speaker for the Dead, and in the preface they explain how to (more or less) pronounce things in Portuguese since most of the main characters were Portuguese. It was confusing…

3 Likes

Hum, it’s not that hard. I see the /r/ sound being pretty hard since you need to roll your tongue (and English natives kinda struggle with the Japanese /r/ and that’s like nothing). There are also the sounds with a ~ like nhã and ão (João <= my first name). But nhã is like nyan :joy: The vogals and most consonants are exactly the same as in Japanese.

But let’s not forget about accents xD BR PT vs PT PT for example.

I’d say that a Portuguese person would have 0 problems with JP pronunciation. Not an expert, but I remember that it took me like 2 minutes to realize I could pronounce all JP sounds on my first try.

4 Likes

Ohh, I can do that part! I took Spanish in high school and they have the r roll too.

Even people that only speak English are 90% of the way to correctly pronouncing Japanese phonetics. The last couple % points (like the sometimes-nasally n) are hard though!

It was only confusing in the book because it was an info dump and I wasn’t actually hearing audio samples. I’ve read the book like 5 times already, but maybe next time I’ll listen to some audio of the sounds first to make sure I’m “saying” the characters’ names correctly.

3 Likes