Rendaku'd Readings & Misc QoL

Haven’t forayed into scripts ever, so forgive me if a fanmade solution has ever been made, but I really feel like typing the rendaku’d version of a kanji’s reading, at least in pink reps, should still count as correct. Perhaps just with a warning, like when you make a typo or use an uncommon reading?

Any other niche QoL ideas you folks have? The service was updated a number of times throughout my learning journey to end up a lot better than it was when I started, so I hope there’s still room for developer intervention and community response.

1 Like

I’m going to have to disagree with you on this one. Rendaku is function of compound kanji and would never apply to a kanji by itself. Having it count as correct for the ‘kanji’ words would just reinforce incorrect knowledge.

7 Likes

Does that really make any sense though? Most of the time the On yomi pronunciation is taught with the “kanji reading” which is also usually the reading used in compound kanji words and usually never when a kanji appears by its self.

While I don’t think he worded the last part of the sentence how I would have, he is correct that kanji readings are a product of how they are used in a compound. More specifically, rendaku is something applied to the reading under certain, more or less predictable, circumstances.

learning 精 as ぜい just because it can be read as ぜい while rendakud will do nothing but lead you astray. 精 being able to be read as ぜい is not the same as 税 being read as ぜい, and not making that distinction will impair your ability to accurately guess readings.

餅 is slightly a special case since its base reading is actually notably more rare than べい so I can understand it more for this one instance, but apart from that its not a good idea if you ask me.

5 Likes

I can agree with the sentiment, but it’s still inconsistent with the lenience Wanikani otherwise grants by default. You can make typos, you can submit obscure readings, give custom definitions, etc.

If you’re hardlining, sure, you should have the option to limit yourself as such, but I think it’s in bad faith to assume a mistake like this is going to be “reinforcing incorrect knowledge” moreso than it’s going to be either a minor brain fart that a warning would fix, or a case like my picrel where there’s not much additional merit in memorizing the base reading in the first place.

I call particular attention to the former case, because readings that start with diacritically modified mora are significantly rarer than their unmodified counterparts.

Cases where theres little to no reason to learn the actual base reading for a kanji are exceedingly rare. If you come across the rendaku’d form of an onyomi, 99% of the time the non rendaku’d form will also appear in at least one word you need to know.

I don’t understand how this is relevant (ignoring the fact that its just straight up wrong for some readings)

Because I just feel like there’s no significant benefit to beating the distinction into your head. If I see a べい reading in a word I’m unfamiliar with, before I actually do any research, I’m going to automatically associate it with へい and ぺい as potential alternatives.

Even if it’s not the case that it’s a rendaku’d version of へい, it requires no extra brainpower to be open to all three, because you essentially have to do so anyway for exceptions like, say, 裁縫 . I think it’s wrong to be given the most severe penalty for that. You might have a case in a more rigid flashcard framework, but WaniKani literally already has two distinct warning systems in place for minor infractions: why not just pause you and say “Hold on, we don’t want the rendaku’d reading?” That’d keep it just as fresh in your mind.

And don’t extrapolate this to mean I want the same treatment for vocab. It’s just simply a fact that a kanji like 餅 is occasionally read べい, so typing that in and getting a red flag seems wrong to me.

I understand what you’re saying, but wanikani, in all cases, teaches you readings for a kanji. I understand that it feels like wk is already lenient, but its only lenient if you’re inputting a valid kunyomi or onyomi for a kanji. The rendaku’d version of a kanji’s reading is not necessarily one of its onyomi’s or kunyomi’s, and I think thats the distinction you’re not realizing. There is no inconsistency in wanikanis lenience as far as I can see.

I’m just not seeing it. As far as recognition patterns go in my head, I think of them as validly as any other readings. I’d like to think I’m pretty accurate on average when I read unfamiliar raw material, so this mindset’s worked out pretty well for me, but if you think it would’ve harmed you, then I can’t say anything to that.

Guess my final two cents are that I think some unnecessary time and irritation would’ve been saved if this option had been available during my learning process, and I am very confident it wouldn’t have affected my proficiency negatively whatsoever. I still think this should be an option for people who process information similarly.

You credit this to your “mindset” to favor your point, but couldn’t I just as easily make the argument that you learned those kanji readings by doing tens of thousands of reviews that followed the exact system you’re arguing against? So I mean, if anything you’re just saying that by following this system you’re pretty accurate, and now we would need another case of someone following the system you proposed to compare.

I’m equally confident it would negatively affect people, but theres no point in arguing. Id say theres no real chance this gets implemented, but if you wanna just use the ignore script, then that might be what you’re looking for.

You credit this to your “mindset” to favor your point, but couldn’t I just as easily make the argument that you learned those kanji readings by doing tens of thousands of reviews that followed the exact system you’re arguing against?

Don’t put words in my mouth. I’m referring to the 2/3-way mindset referred to in this post:

Because I just feel like there’s no significant benefit to beating the distinction into your head. If I see a べい reading in a word I’m unfamiliar with, before I actually do any research, I’m going to automatically associate it with へい and ぺい as potential alternatives.

Even if it’s not the case that it’s a rendaku’d version of へい, it requires no extra brainpower to be open to all three, because you essentially have to do so anyway for exceptions like, say, 裁縫 . I think it’s wrong to be given the most severe penalty for that. You might have a case in a more rigid flashcard framework, but WaniKani literally already has two distinct warning systems in place for minor infractions: why not just pause you and say “Hold on, we don’t want the rendaku’d reading?” That’d keep it just as fresh in your mind.

that you never actually addressed at all by the way, and leave this off with me saying I think you’re a rigid-minded fool. Agree that scripts are probably the best solution, don’t even know why I bothered posting in a circlejerk forum.

Is every kanji database to have ever existed that didn’t include all possible “rendaku’d readings” rigid minded as well?

Hopefully the scripts helps with your frustrations.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.