Duendecat - Sentence looper (by WK level)

Nice - and especially useful for those of us who need to improve our reading speed. ;) 

One suggestion, though – you might want to put a “contact the creator” link in the menu, since WK doesn’t have a PM system at the moment.

This is amazing!

Thank you very much.

Bloody hell! That’s pretty amazing! Thank you so much for your efforts.

wow, this looks like it’ll be really useful. i was actually praying something like this would exist for WK the other day and behold! bless your soul, transality.

This is amazing.  We’ve really needed something like this, and then you drop this professionally designed app out of nowhere.  Thanks so much!

This is INCREDIBLE. I’m leaving this on my monitor pretty much all the time.

I’d really like it if there were a way to adjust the amount of time after the translation shows before it switches to a new sentence. I’d like to be able to look at the sentence a bit longer before it switches so I can make sure I understand it.

Also, yeah, if you take donations I’d be happy to throw something at you.

the lack of kanji is killing me…
also wtf it has given me 彼はこられる。 10 times in a row
aand, wrong furigana?

経済 けいざい

Apraxas said... the lack of kanji is killing me....
also wtf it has given me 彼はこられる。 10 times in a row
aand, wrong furigana?

I've found that furigana with the Tanaka Corpus is pretty useless.  Personally I never use it and I'd recommend others not to either.  It's not just that Corpus, though; I find furigana to be buggy anywhere it isn't manually inputted.

Apraxas, try hitting Hipsterize and see if it gets rid of 彼は.  Unfortunately there's a lot of sentences in the Tanaka that use it.  Not sure why it gave you the same thing 10 times in a row... do you have more than one level selected?  You aren't blocking scripts?

That looks like a great idea. I hope to get some use out of it in the future. Thanks!

Well done!  :D  It’s nice, I can zone out and watch the sentences go by  when I feel like I can’t do anything else (^

Thanks for sharing!!

The app doesn’t seem to be working correctly.

I tried to get sentences from level (42 && 43), but it seems to be interpreting it as ( 42 || 43). The result is that most of the sentences are very simple because they have kanji from only one level.

Ah, that’s probably Apraxas’ problem as well.  Nice catch.

For me, the app displays each time for a different length of time. Sometimes it’s long enough to read, sometimes it’s not. 

Sometimes, it will also show the japanese for the right length of time, but once the translation comes up it immediately goes on to the next sentence. 

I’m using the short sentences option if that matters.

I’m sort of wanting the maximum speed to be a little faster, like, twice as fast or something.
Edit: Like about this speed

lindarthebard said... This is INCREDIBLE. I'm leaving this on my monitor pretty much all the time.

I'd really like it if there were a way to adjust the amount of time after the translation shows before it switches to a new sentence. I'd like to be able to look at the sentence a bit longer before it switches so I can make sure I understand it.

Also, yeah, if you take donations I'd be happy to throw something at you.
 If you click on the sentence after it shows the translation, it will pause it. Just click on it again to resume.

How about the sentences doesn’t disappear but get listed (I recommend with smaller text size) over the current sentence?
Then the user will get more time to immerse oneself in specific sentences, in one want to do that.

apraxas:  Sounds like you’ve discovered a bug, I’ll look into it.  At the moment the amount of sentences that are available decrease as the levels go up, so for example level 1 finds 305 unique results, whereas level 50 only finds 24.  This number is further reduced if you have both hipsterize and short sentences selected, so it’s possible (as of the current version v0.5) to get some very small result pools back.  This will become less of a problem as new sentences are added over time.

nullterminator: That’s right, if you select (green) individual levels 1, 2 and 3 etc then it will output as 1 || 2 || 3, grouping the separate results of each level into one results pool but not finding the combined results of 1 and 2, for example.  On the other hand the orange grouped levels will output all possible results of every combination of selected kanji.  This is why the orange levels can only be selected one at a time: the larger ones are finding results pools of almost 10,000 sentences (any more than this could cause some serious slowdowns on older computers).  I’m planning to add an option in the future for cumulative individual levels, maybe in v1.0.

Shantred:  There are still some timing issues to be worked out.  Timing should be (more or less) consistent after the app has cycled a few sentences, although it can be thrown out of line by moving the mouse over the japanese sentence and then off again, which (if the translation is showing) will cause the app to move on to the next sentence after two seconds has passed.  This is intentional, because it’s assumed that the reader is ready to move on.

midiman: Good idea! I’ll give the time slider a wider range in the next update.

gex:  The furigana has been manually inputted for each sentence (checked and re-checked), which is why it’s only available for individual levels at the moment.  Because of this, there might still be some cases of human error, as in apraxas’ case.

cimmic:  This is something that I was considering for a while, but dropped it in the end.  The reason is because (for me at least) this app is useful because of it’s unwieldiness; only one sentence on screen, and once it’s gone it’s gone, no going back.  This seems more like real life, and although it’s a PITA at first, I think it will do more for people’s reading ability since it creates more of a feel for the language than an intellectual understanding (note: this is just my suspicion, no science involved here).  Plus, there’s always the pause feature.  :)

One other thing that I forgot to mention is that sentences can also be paused using the spacebar - small feature, but maybe it will be useful.

Where’d you get access to the sentences at?

I really want to make an Anki deck with them.

transality said...[...] Duendecat that contains tens of thousands of sentences from the corrected version of the Tanaka corpus [...]
EDIT: Corrected... heh, there are still mistakes though but that's no surprise. Read more here: http://www.edrdg.org/wiki/index.php/Tanaka_Corpus

mayucchi:  Good point, I’ve updated the original post to say “updated version of the Tanaka corpus”, which is probably more accurate.