Dropping recognition out of vocab decks?

What exactly is your goal for the Anki deck, and why do you feel the need to keep up with (presumably everything in) the textbook? It’s hard to give good advice without knowing that.

SRS is great, but that kind of overload sucks. Usually I’m in the “easy come easy go” faction (so add and remove stuff from your deck without worrying too much), but if you need to pace the amount you add to your deck. Ideally you’d keep the number of reviews at a level where it at least doesn’t feel like cleaning a fridge (I think it should be the kind of habit that you either look forward to, or only notice when you don’t do it).

I’ve never actively tried to learn vocab, so neither I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

At the moment, I’m doing WK for kanji, Bunpro for grammar and I have an Anki deck for practicing pronunciation, keeping my total reviews across everything in the 150-200 range. Any more than that and I’d burn out, which is why I’m relying on general exposure for vocab.
I try and get at least an hour of native listening practice (anime, drama, youtube documentaries etc.) a day and spend some time reading NHK News/manga/book each week (the bookclubs are great).

Strongly recommend watching/reading as much native content as possible. It’s one thing studying how the language works and the vocab, but you need to exposure to actually learn to use it.

1 Like