Does anyone here study the pitch accent as well?

I hear Leebo collects the tears of crying newbs.

4 Likes

True, I have like 5 mini figures of the queen from Alice in Wonderland that you get from those chocolate eggs at 7/11 because my girlfriend wants the other characters and my luck has been terrible.

3 Likes

Actually I havenā€™t encountered those yet, is it a local thing orā€¦?

I have no ideaā€¦ Theyā€™re at the one near her houseā€¦ I havenā€™t checked other 7/11s

In Japan? Because if so that makes a LOT more sense XD

Yes, in Japan.

R.I.P., I am still in America.

Nah, Iā€™ve only been here for around a year and a half, but Iā€™ve made vast efforts to stay out of my house as much as I can and really get to know my area. That would be my biggest recommendation. It can be tempting to retreat home away from having to dissect every sign and sentence around you, especially during winter, but getting out and showing your face really gets you out there, especially if youā€™re white or black (no political offense intended; ē™½äŗŗ and 黒äŗŗ I have both heard used frequently).

Going to smaller food shops, especially ramen shops, is great for meeting older Japanese guys to my experience. If you have enough Japanese to even generally understand the newspaper, mentioning a recent article can spark a conversation in the whole place. For takingng younger people, Tinder is a fast way to go if you know what to put in your profile. Iā€™ve had varying results as Iā€™ve messed around with what I put in.

2 Likes

I donā€™t particularly try to learn pitch accents on WK, but when I do speaking practice (in forms of drills), I do practice it. I also have my tutor on italki correct me (actually had to teach some of them how to, but now theyā€™re getting good at it).

Oh and I usually make sure all my learning happens with native speaker audio. That means no doing WK without audio, and no anki without audio.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.