Do you read the example sentences?

Just curious how many of you actually read the example sentences. I really do think example sentences would help make the words stick, but they just have way to many kanji and words I have not yet learned so I usually don’t even look at them. Maybe they would be more useful if they had at least one N+1 sentence as the first one.

For instance, I’m only level 14 and look at some of example sentences for 人性 - human nature

私は、キリストは神性と人性という二つの本性を持つという両性せつを支持します。

I support the dyophysite that Jesus has two natures: a divine nature and a human nature.

人性論における人間の本性において、私は結局人の性質は善悪を共に備えていると思います。

With regard to the discussion about original human nature in Confucianism, I believe that human nature is equipped with both good and evil sides after all.

4 Likes

The first sentence also (which you didn’t mention here), though seemingly easy to understand in Japanese, doesn’t seem to make much sense either.

They translated 人生学 as “ethology,” but it doesn’t appear to me that “ethology” on its own is used to refer to a study of human behavior very often. But if you do a basic google search for 人性学 you get some results that say the meaning is “ethology.”

The discussion of usefulness of WaniKani’s example sentences in general has been done plenty, so I’ll bow out of that, but the “simple” sentence of the bunch should at least be something simple and correct.

3 Likes

I read them when I have a nuance in the vocab that I don’t quite understand or I think will have a hard time sticking in my brain. Like 交じる vs 交ぜる。

I have issues with 交じる (まじる) vs 交わる (まじわる). We do both struggle.

Since I began using Bunpro for learning grammar I sometimes read the example sentences to confirm my understanding of grammar.

4 Likes

I often just read the English to check I understand what meaning of a certain word is intended.

5 Likes

I’ve always made at least some attempt to read the example sentences (the easy sentence in the early levels, and when I was in the 20-30s I’d just look for the relevant kanji). Starting at around the late 30s-early 40s I’ve been able to comfortably read most of the sentences without having too many things that completely stumped me, even after seeing the translation.

1 Like

I usually read the example sentences, but not to make the words stick – more to see how they can be used in context.

Some of the sentences are a bit weird, but apparently below level 20 there should always be at least one that’s understandable. I usually don’t like the way they’re translated though, it can make it hard to see how the word works in context…(sometimes the translation doesn’t seem to fit the given meaning for a word)
But that’s just my personal opinion, I prefer slightly less natural English to better understand the structure of a sentence :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Context sentences were my main source of reading Japanese from levels 1 through 3 :stuck_out_tongue:
I think it helped a lot at that point, but not so much anymore.

i mostly read the example sentences to gather information about koichi. i have learned so much about him, like that he farts very loudly.

just kidding, i do read the sentences for the context, although sometimes they confuse me more. i can’t think of any specific examples right now but the ones where the definition is one thing and then the sentence has nothing to do with the literal definition. i can definitely appreciate those though because i think they show how the language works. i just haven’t figured it out yet.

5 Likes

I am ignoring them too mostly because i didn’t study grammer that much(or motivated to do it)

I have started reading them more. Initially I could only recognize one or two kanji in any sentence so my effort was about finding the kanji. As I’ve done this more often over time, I see more of the sentence structure as there are more kanji I can read. There’s zero grammar knowledge for me so far. That’s next! Still, I get a wee thrill from being able to read more and more over time.

Yes, I read them! As much I can stomach. Majority is super difficult (as compared to the one I read in Genki textbook), but I hope one day I would understand them.

I have two scripts, one to hide English translation, the other one to highlight all kanji and link to google translate audio. Sometimes google is confused by furigana and reads vocab entry wrong.

1 Like

I find that my recall becomes worse when I read the sentences on the initial lesson. I usually don’t read them until Guru review or later, once I feel I’ve internalized the core meaning and can appreciate the nuances more.

In many cases, I’ve then found the examples to be either meaningless* or to contain nuances I’ve already inferred.

*修辞学

私は修辞学の先生に恋をしています。
I have a crush on the rhetoric teacher.

1 Like

Maybe this link would help to make it seem less meaningless?

https://clas.uiowa.edu/rhetoric/about/why-is-rhetoric-required

Rhetoric is not just empty words or fine political speeches. Rhetoric is the study and art of writing and speaking well, being persuasive, and knowing how to compose successful writing and presentations. Rhetoric teaches us the essential skills of advanced learning and higher education. In Rhetoric classes, students learn to think logically, to discover wrong or weak arguments, to build a good case on a controversial topic, and to overcome the all-too-common fear of speaking in public so that they can deliver crisp and well-prepared speeches.

2 Likes

I find them utterly useless in general and often either offensive or worthy of an eye-roll at best. The structure is generally not appropriate for the level I am at. I find it much more helpful to use the Todai app on the very easy level, or Bunpo or (gasp) Duolingo, where the kanji I have learned often appear in sentences that are relevant and are not apparently designed to be just weird or sensational. I almost never even look at them any more.

On a somewhat unrelated note, this is interesting, I’ve never really considered what rhetoric is before. Thanks for sharing.

It’s not that I don’t know what rhetoric means, it’s the fact that you can slot in any college course into that sentence and it wouldn’t change anything.

It doesn’t tell me what rhetoric means other than that it’s a branch of study like History or Math.

A much better example: I didn’t want to join the Volleyball Club, but I was swayed by the Captain’s rhetoric when he explained how much fun it would be.

In any case, it may be a moot point since I’d bet most people would just say レトリック instead. :wink:

3 Likes

Yea, adding 学 doesn’t even make it the same word.

Honestly, I’ve never even heard someone say ethology in English. I had to look up the meaning.

Nice! Do you have the names of the scripts you are using? Those would probably help me a bit. I do get distracted by the english translation while I’m trying to read them.

and

2 Likes