Do you read the example sentences?

Hi! Bumping this thread because after level 20 sometimes there’s only one complex, long-winded sentence.

People who are above level 20: how do/did you use these sentences? I’m finding myself less and less inclined to actually read them – I’m kind of just skipping to the English translation to check the word in context (like Cathm2 mentioned earlier in the thread)… But even then sometimes the translations aren’t helping…

2 Likes

I always have a look at them, at least at the easier ones :slight_smile: I often write them down in my notebook too because in my still early stage of learning japanese it’s really helpful to have the basic sentence patterns available.

The longer sentences are usually too complex for me, so I skip them.

Not paying pay much attention, or to the mnemonics, unless I am having a hard time with new Kanji. If you speak to the Death Star it will admonish you, that makes sense.
What I do look at is the vocabulary. It is much easier to learn new Kanji if I
know a word it is in. I have been studying Japanese a long time.
I knew the word for flood for ages, I never knew the character 洪.
That really helps.

It’s okay to bump an old thread right?

I try to read each sentence at least once, even though I usually don’t understand 70% of it. I can read aloud the characters slightly faster now.

I’ve just entered a 2 week mandatory quarantine after returning to Australia. Can’t leave the hotel room. I’m seriously considering going back and reading all the example sentences.

2 Likes

Just curious - does this refer to zoning out in airplane cockpits? Given the only people who really go in there are pilots, this sounds like a bad idea…

I’m pretty sure they still do have an enormous array of thingamabobbins, but as I understand it, that’s at least partly due to overregulation which prevents them from replacing many vetted components with newer electronic alternatives. It’s not like analog stuff never breaks, and you can always have backups for the really important things, if you ask me.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.