Difference between 当 and 正

Heya, guys what is the diference of this kanjis 当,正?
Ty

Also, the kanji meaning does not necessarily reflect what is happening when that kanji is used to make vocabulary.

1 Like

Even though kanji do have meanings, I think it’s better to focus on learning the different meanings of the words they are part of :slight_smile:

If you know that both relate to correctness I think that’s useful enough to you, since it’ll help you guess the meanings of those words more easily. But don’t sweat it on the subtleties.

Also, like @alexbeldan said, the words can have meanings that deviate quite a bit from those of the kanji anyway.

1 Like

Yeah… you ever seen the work 料理? Is there some meaning here I’m missing? :confused:

料 likely means ingredients, and looking at jisho, aside from logic and reason 理 can also mean arrangement, so that probably the derivation :slight_smile:

But it’s definitely one of those words I remember more from pronunciation than from the meanings of the individual kanji.

Yeah. I saw those definitions as well. It’s the only thing that makes sense to me as well.

Well at least it’s not 勝手. :smile:

That one makes some weird intuitive sense to me though :slight_smile:

Sort of like a victor’s justice situation where you just do stuff without consideration of others.

Incidentally, I think it’s a neat word that I wish I could use in other languages.

2 Likes

Some Kanji are used for their pronunciations rather than their meanings, and I think 料理 is one of those.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.