Did wanikani previously have more features?

after reading this post on bunpro forum (You know what Bunpro instills in me? Trust - #9 by davebp - Bunpro - Bunpro Community) someone mentioned that he was not around wanikani when it used to do more than it does now, insinuating that wanikani previously had more features than it does now and the developers chose to simplify. I did some googling but couldn’t find any concrete evidence of this. Anyone know more about what he could be talking of?

From a couple posts earlier, it looks like they (that previous poster) are talking about scripts breaking due to WaniKani updating their front end code. So it’s not really that WaniKani removed features. This person just unreasonably expected WaniKani to never update their code. (I do agree that WaniKani should add more of these features themselves, but that’s not the same as saying they removed features when they didn’t.)

16 Likes

I was indeed referring to that earlier post.

Perhaps I was unclear in my post, but I should reiterate that I have never seen wanikani any different from what it is now, and I did not intend to “insinuate” anything.

— dave

Not the specific question you’re asking, but while we’re on the topic, the only really notable feature that WK (well the forums at least) used to have was messaging, which was disabled a few years ago.

Other than that, WK used to have item lattices that displayed your radical/kanji progress which I had no clue about until a few months ago. I remade that feature as a script which I am now very shamelessly (so shamelessly) plugging (which actually may not may not be broken because I haven’t maintained it).

at the very least I have a screenshot of what it probably looked like on there

3 Likes

Like was mentioned previously, framework updates have cause several of the scripts to stop working. As these scripts were third party options anyways, I wouldn’t call that WK’s fault, and many of the scripts were updated also to continue functionality, though sometimes in different ways. For example, the Reorder Ultimate script went through at least 2 major revisions, but has stopped working altogether in the past few months. Most people have switch over to Reorder Omega which has a lot more customizability, but is also more confusing and less user friendly.

Some major changes I have seen (since late '19 when I started) are mostly additions, including:

• Extra Study: The big box that allows you to practice burned items, or recent learned items, or problem items? That’s fairly new. And very cool. You used to have to use API-usage sites like BishBashBosh for those options.

• API Tokens got a major revamp a couple years ago, the version 1 tokens are now obsolete and only version 2 tokens work. I believe the old tokens were just a single access code to your account, while version two allows you to choose different levels of access for different sites. However, this did break some things, like wkstats.com’s really cool Projection feature. You could type in different estimated times per level and the like and it would give you nifty charts so you could understand how many reviews you would have and how long you would take at different paces. Ever since the API upgrade though, the page has looked like this:

• Reset Account used to be a hassle. You had to email in requesting a manual reset. The ability to make 2am drunk and frustrated resets on your own didn’t used to exist. Not sure this was an improvement tbh, but plenty of people like the option.

• Resurrection: The ability to “unburn” items is new. The only way to resurrect these cards before was to reset your account.

• Mnemonics got a major overhaul in 2018, I didn’t experience this but I believe it was to standardize the memory tools throughout the levels. Check out Tsurukame, the iphone app, and you can see there’s still a setting to use the old mnemonics.

• Audio: The old pronunciation audio files were retired, both current voices are new as of 2019.

• The Dashboard: The entire dashboard got a massive overhaul in 2020. That was a huge honking deal. Those giant buttons that say “Lessons” and “Reviews” with the Crabigator getting slowly overtaken by turtles depending on your numbers? Those did not exist, and the links were up in the top bar. There were plenty of complaints from people who could not figure out how to get into their reviews, but fortunately the forums links took up like half of the dashboard and they could get directions that way…
    That awesome Review Forecast on the right side? Did not exist. Instead it just told you how many hours until your next review.
    The Level Progress box with how many kanji you’ve passed and little green dots showing you which Apprentice stage each kanji is in? Very different and less useful.

• And for the largest update: WaniKani originally started with only 50 levels. Levels 51-60 were a later addition. There were plenty of complaints that many of the kanji and vocab in the new levels were obscure and uncommon, but it was also pointed out that even with the new levels, there were still some 250+ N1 kanji missing from WK, and many of those are even more obscure, but people ought to know them if they want to take that test.

So I’ve wandered vaguely off topic, but it was a fun memory challenge. If anyone has a good screenshot of the old Dashboard I’d love to compare them side by side.

11 Likes

Really kinda wish they would bring that back…but yeah that’s not gonna happen

3 Likes

After seeing some of the posts on here I am kind of grateful everything is out there in the open. I would hate to have WK DMs and the atmosphere of animosity floating around in the background between users. This way we can squash the beef in the light of day and move on with our lives.

3 Likes

normal people drunk at 2am: “maybe I should call her…”
WK users drunk at 2am: “maybe I should reset…”

14 Likes

Let me assure you there’s plenty of talk occurring in private between users on here. They just use a different service to dm lol

7 Likes

It was great having the ability to connect with people and such, but

yeeaaahhhhh…

2 Likes

You can also just have animosity in the foreground.

7 Likes

No you can’t you stupid IDIOT that doesn’t EVEN MAKE SENSE

7 Likes

Exactly bring that ish to the front for all to see!

No one would ever talk about WaniKani users while playing Rocket League… :scream:

3 Likes

I will say I really wish WK had an undo button natively, I get so many typos on my phone… And I don’t like doing reviews on Flamingdurtles for some reason I prefer the website. (Other than the undo button, and offline reviews.)

1 Like