DEPRECATED TOPIC: English - Japanese vocabulary recall tool: KaniWani

Just started using this today. Loving it so far!

Pretty cool, I’ll surelly give it a try 

Have been using this for a week or two and loving it. I find the best way to overcome the ambiguity of words with relatively similar english meaning, is to add your own synonym in wanikani.

1) what’s the frequency of the SRS system? I wonder if there’s a way to decrease the it? Since the levels are unlocked based on your wanikani level, instead o f your kaniwani progress and I’m not using it as often as wanikani, i’d guess there’ll be loads of vocabs that will be unlocked faster than i can clear the previous level. imagine the pile of stuff i have to go through.

2) any news on locking back previous level?

wan said... Have been using this for a week or two and loving it. I find the best way to overcome the ambiguity of words with relatively similar english meaning, is to add your own synonym in wanikani.

1) what's the frequency of the SRS system? I wonder if there's a way to decrease the it? Since the levels are unlocked based on your wanikani level, instead o f your kaniwani progress and I'm not using it as often as wanikani, i'd guess there'll be loads of vocabs that will be unlocked faster than i can clear the previous level. imagine the pile of stuff i have to go through.

2) any news on locking back previous level?
Here's the update: /t/Kaniwani-Major-Update-134/11634/1 
:] 

Having some trouble signing in. I registered and everything but during sign in it tells me my password is incorrect, and there’s no password reset (or so I think). Help!

please add a password reset, i can’t remember mine

cjmaret said... Having some trouble signing in. I registered and everything but during sign in it tells me my password is incorrect, and there's no password reset (or so I think). Help!
 Email me at tadgh@cs.toronto.edu and I can set your password to whatever you like. Alternatively, a password reset form is in the works and should be out shortly. 

Cheers!

Nice!

I think this is a great idea, but the synonyms are really getting to me. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve failed a review because I’ve put in a word that matches the English but isn’t what the system’s looking for, as in the screenshot. It feels like the method becomes less about being able to recall the vocab, and more being able to recall the subtle differences in the English prompt to know which synonym it’s looking for.

Very sweet addition to wanikani! Just have a problem, i entered my API key and it shows, that i only reached lv1. I’m at lv 3 at the time :confused:

contingency40 said... I think this is a great idea, but the synonyms are really getting to me. I've lost count of the number of times I've failed a review because I've put in a word that matches the English but isn't what the system's looking for, as in the screenshot. It feels like the method becomes less about being able to recall the vocab, and more being able to recall the subtle differences in the English prompt to know which synonym it's looking for.

I have the same problem. If the system told me it was looking for a noun, i-adjective, etc., there wouldn't need to try and figure out what it means among closely related English definitions.
RPS said... Very sweet addition to wanikani! Just have a problem, i entered my API key and it shows, that i only reached lv1. I'm at lv 3 at the time :/
 Alright, I went to settings, removed the checkmark with "connect with wanikani", saved it, then i checked it again and saved and now the connection is there! Awesome site.

The problem the guys above me are saying is there, same for "woman". If there is written "woman" it wants onnanohito, if "woman, female" only onna. 

Makes me wonder what

DEPRECATED

means.

Might have to come out of my cave and buy a dictionary or something. Any suggestions on good anime anyone?

Now we’re talking, why do you study Japanese?

1 Like

In the future, let’s use the current thread for KW /t/Kaniwani-Major-Update-134/11634/1 :)

Dude, this site is awesome! The perfect compliment to Wanikani. I’ve just got to level 4 but I was beginning to think, how can I practice recalling the vocab without any hints from the kanji and this is exactly what I needed. Had 200+ reviews on my first log in though, so I might have to finish them off another time haha.

Thanks

I just found out about this. So great!! Im surprised Wanikani itself doesnt have features like these already implemented.
I wish there was at least a little guessing game in Wanikani that is always available so that there’s never “nothing to do” based on what you have learned. Not sure how that would affect the balance of learning, but I at least enjoyed doing drag and drop games repeatedly for Kana in some website and that helped a lot!

Hey, first I want to thank you for this useful and highly productive learning tool. It’s a great complement to the wanikani routine.

After giving the right (or wrong) answer your app shows both the spelling in hiragana and the corresponding Kanji. I would like to ask if it’s possible to add the stroke order for the Kanji? At the moment I give my answer as hiragana in the applications interface and write the Kanji on paper. If I’m struggling with the stroke order I have to look it up in my dictionary. Don’t know how complicated the integration of this feature would be, but this little modification would ease my learning routine a lot.

I hope question didn’t came up too often in the preceding 400+ posts.

Thanks again. Jan.

If I could lock a topic, I would. This one has grown too large, so i made a new post: Kaniwani Major Update: 1.3.4!

1 Like

Just a side question, is KaniWani independant from Wanikani? Can I use it without interference between the two? Also, is there a ios app? Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Cheers.

N