Deepl and google translate are weak on numbers

How is mine not more linguistically pure? Only words of Japanese origin. The fact that I expanded my definition of “origin” a bit more than might typically be thought of is just for humorous effect.

EDIT: I just realized we’re gonna be running into some problems with how to write anything.

Is this a typo, or did you mean to say カタカナ禍 ? :joy_cat: :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Lol. My Chinese name does sound a little weird in Japanese with on’yomi. In fact, my surname sounds completely off. :laughing: On’yomi and Mandarin readings are similar, but definitely not the same.

Typically when there’s a difference, it’s just that Japanese and Chinese combine different concepts (via kanji) to describe the same overall idea. That’s what I’ve noticed. Otherwise though, most of my Chinese vocabulary transfers easily, especially when it comes to technical or abstract concepts. It’s everyday stuff that’s less similar. (For example, 狐 and 狸 are different animals in Japanese, but 狐狸 is the Chinese word for ‘fox’, and 狸 means something completely different on its own. But hey, tanuki are a Japanese animal after all.)

To some extent, this is valid in the sense that you notice the fields that contain the most katakana are the ones that are frequently in contact with (and influenced by) the rest of the world. IT, for example. Interestingly enough though, there are technical terms for programming concepts that don’t use katakana.

Yeah, fair enough, and because kanji reduces concepts into small packages, it’s relatively easy to recombine them to express something new. However, well, someone still has to do the work of translating those words. Scholars in the Meiji era did a lot of that, but I’m not sure if many academics would bother with that today.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.