Death Note | Week 8 Discussion

This is a bit of my hunch, but I think the Death Note allows the user to create a certain “likely scenario” preceding the death of the person whose name is written in the note, so as long as the scenario is described in a way that leaves room for details or is plausible, it should happen. Also, where Raito was ingenious was that he picked a criminal who’s a drug addict so it’s likely for that criminal to be violent, hallucinate and see “ghosts” (or death gods :wink: )

4 Likes

RIght? He could have written it explicitly. But he has written ”この世のものとは思えぬ恐ろしい幻影を見て”. This could be Ryuku, or it could be any kind of hallucination a drug addict might have, I suppose.

6 Likes

Thinking about it, maybe he just leave some room, to whether he may drop the paper or not, or maybe he wasn’t sure if he can write in a way that commands other people (including himself), otherwise… 心臓麻痺 not 事故死.

2 Likes

How is 隙をみて僕が pronounced in page 182? すき?げき?ひま?

3 Likes

Probably すき, because 隙間, but unless the reading is given, probably anything goes :joy:

3 Likes

“maybe he wasn’t sure if he can write in a way that commands other people” (including himself)

I think this is exactly why. So he implied it, and used the implication for his planned narrative

3 Likes

I am confused about the meaning of FBIが独自にキラを追っていても… What does 独自に mean? (On page 185.)

Also, on the same page, Why Raye=Penber not Raye・Penber?

3 Likes

Bearing the context I think 独自に might mean either “originally” or “independently”, but probably the latter.
The entire passage with the follow-up context is Even though FBI is independently chasing Kira, suspecting the Japanese police is unthinkable / a little too much (since the later だろう)).

2 Likes

Ah, 日本警察に何の為に日本に居たのかと聞かれてしまう…思われない. Really? Should he think that? Or he just doubt by himself, that Kira might be somewhere else (because American criminals were also killed).

1 Like

Looking at the jisho page, it’s the 3rd meaning, which can be all three… There might be a preference for すき due to being more natural or more used yeah.

As for the one on page 185, I think it’s him ranting about the job in his head, clearly doubting his decisions (and his superiors). The = is likely just a weird separator symbol and not equality.

4 Likes

There will be more examples of First name = Last name

I’ve been wondering about this as well. But, might be a way to write foreign names?? Or I must assume so. The fact that the ordering of names is difference between Japanese and Western names, might have something to do with it? :thinking:

But from a Death Note, fiction perspective, I do wonder about it: after all, it’s not correct to write Western names like this! The name is Raye Penber, and nothing else. I guess, the Death note takes into account the writers native language/cultural context for interpreting names! :eyes:

2 Likes

Double hyphen - Wikipedia but it is supposed to be secondary to ・ like ドナルド・トランプ - Wikipedia and https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ピエール=シモン・ラプラス

I don’t think Japanese really use spaces as a separator.

3 Likes

The x in Hunter x Hunter and Spy x Family is another one, it is not pronounced, doesn’t stop people from saying it with tho.

6 Likes

Only in non-uniformly spaced text like speech bubbles in manga, in place of commas, I think. Otherwise I’ve never seen spaces used like that so ・ would be more appropriate.

EDIT: Well, also in news subtitle prompts on TV.

I was also a little surprised to see = there as a separator. TIL :smiley:

3 Likes

Good example, I guess it really is just a visible replacement for “empty space”. :thinking: I didn’t realize.

He’s thinking that right after thinking that he should only use his gun as a last resort. “I will end up being asked by the Japanese Police about why I’m in Japan.”

I also wondered about this. Would it work if he wrote it in katakana for example? Or if it had a spelling mistake?

4 Likes

That’s actually a good point. On NHK I often see things like:

So perhaps the fact that he used here the Latin alphabet is in a way meaningful?

3 Likes

Some dictionaries also use spaces for clarity (especially useful if a lot of hiragana words are used) and I think I’ve also seen some hiragana-only books use spaces (but maybe those were graded readers).

Right? Remembering the exact spelling of a name from another language is very difficult in my experience (on the other hand Light is very smart).

4 Likes

He wrote Lind L. Taylor with spaces. Not if it will work if full-stops are omitted.

Very very spoiler

He didn’t write Raye Penber’s name by himself at all.

Children’s books and older console games (GameBoy) also, but only to separate words with distinct meanings. Not sure if that count as punctuation.

Even ポケモン銀.

3 Likes

Well, we know that spelling is important due to that bookstore/motorcycle accident Light caused. He did write the same name multiple times, with different kanji as he couldn’t know how the guy’s name was actually written. :eyes:

4 Likes