Death Note | Week 8 Discussion

Chapter 7 - 標的

Start Date: March 12th
Previous Week: Chapter 6

frDGCemG5kX9EBY8IrbThQ__

Death Note Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

3 Likes

This is where the fun truly begins! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I’ll continue reading the rest for a while, especially if other join too (having a schedule helps me get it done =P )

That lill mini strip at the end :rofl:
Both fun, and also dates it quite a bit :wink: (probably hard to find even used. I still have mine :grin: )
Also, リュ-くん :joy:

10 Likes

Page 189: What would あったまい mean?

Light, the mastermind. So did his whole plan hinge on the FBI agent (is that Tom Cruise??) sitting right behind him so he could read the note? Wouldn’t it be more natural for him to sit somewhere else in a near empty bus? Not to mention that asking for proof that you’re not an accomplice seems rather silly - no ordinary citizen could provide such proof.
(What I thought he meant to do was make the criminal shoot and wound the agent. This way he would probably be named in the newspapers the next day. )
Also the criminal could very well have ignored the piece of paper, but I suppose that had to happen, because how else would he be able to see Ryuku as written in the Death Note.

8 Likes

According to this it means 頭いい.

8 Likes

Huh, thanks, it would never have crossed my mind. I was trying to figure out how to combine あった and まい in a way that makes sense…
(Edit: I can’t find it in any dictionary, and not even Deepl catches it (it says “lukewarm”). Very frustrating. I guess it’s the way it would be pronounced casually?)

3 Likes

It’s a very good plan, but definitely leaves room for error. I think a tail would sit a few rows behind to not be spotted. But guess we can excuse it as “wanting to be close enough to listen in”. And even if the first part happened, he know Kira needs to know his name to kill, so would never show his badge (and why assume Kira would kill the hijacker? He might not know his name). Guess we can assume it’s cause he felt Light wasn’t Kira already. But yeah, definitely ran the “perfect course,” despite having room for error. The paper being picked up can be excused as forced by the Death note, for the text to run the course asked, but seeing the agents name comes down to luck.

6 Likes

He was about ready to report that nothing out of the ordinary was going on with Light, until he tagged along for the ride. So yeah that plus of the urgent situation made him decide to show his badge.

5 Likes

I thought it felt a bit out of place for them to show him thinking that in that instance, knowing there was a plan being played out. I bet it was just to foreshadow him showing the badge :wink:

3 Likes

Sure is!

I confess…I’ve already started on volume 2! Hard not to. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

This chapter was the fastest I’ve read yet (only one I read in a one go) and was tempted to continue too :grin:
Would have if I didn’t have other plans that are more urgent =P

4 Likes

I think it’s a little easier maybe when one considers also the ~ at the end. So it’s less あったまい and more あったまいい〜. :slight_smile:

Same! Now things are really picking up pace!

4 Likes

How do I interpret 狂いなし (last page of chapter - 193)?

Furthermore, who is the girl? Just a new person to date with? And, did Light just tell her the addict is too small, and he can win with his strength? (Actually, not sure of 刑事である父に教わっている part.)

He will need to see Light always, anyway. But he really should sit in the opposite row, not directly behind. It is always Light’s choice on where he sits, anyway (just in front of the last row.)

About the criminal, ah yes, Light can totally control that.

It appears that simple searching is effective. Jisho also has Google.com and Google.jp. (But that really doesn’t cross my mind at first, either.)

Ah, yes. The FBI guy just forgot to be careful, and Light was just lucky, not only simply he knew how to talk. I don’t think he can really control that, or at least, the author didn’t mention how.

1 Like

狂い doesn’t only mean madness, but also irregularity; deviation. So I’d assume it means “perfect/ flawless/ with no deviation”.

The girl is just some random girl (schoolmate?) in his contacts. As he says to Ryuku, he’s pretty popular. He did tell her the addict is small and weak so he can beat him. 刑事である父に教わっている= taught by my father who’s a police officer. He’s basically saying his policeman father has taught him how to disarm someone.

Is it on Jisho? I couldn’t find it there. Or do you mean searching on google?

5 Likes

Yes, that’s already mentioned a little earlier. Before getting into the bus, the FBI agent is already convinced Raito is just a hard-working student, son of a police officer, but still a normal person and not Kira. Also, an important detail that only L knows or has a suspicion about is that Kira needs both the face and a name of the victim, while the police officers assume seeing the possible 犯罪者 is enough for Kira to be able to kill, which is not true.

I think she’s just a random highschooler who has hots for Raito. That’s kind of only implied, but apparently he’s popular.

小柄 - small build/stature
he’s of small build and 弱々しい (frail)

Learned from his father who’s a police detective.

EDIT: Oh whoops. looks like @omk3 explained the stuff before. Apologies! :bowing_man:

3 Likes

Yeah, Google Search helped me confirm again. (Most of the results. In particular, 「目に狂いはない」 and 「寸分の狂いもなく」 are suggested.)

And yeah, this too. (First three results.)

About this, https://yowayowacamera.com/ was pretty popular.

In particular, not sure about this grammar. Maybe something like 刑事の父?

3 Likes

There is a slight difference in nuance, I think.
刑事の父 - my father, a police officer (approximately)
刑事である父 - my father, who is a police officer

である is alternative to だ in places where だ would be ungrammatical.

Bookmarked. This is good stuff :joy:

3 Likes
刑事である父 breakdown

刑事 - police detective
である- to be
刑事である (is police detective) modifies 父 → father, who is a police detective

No apology needed. Multiple answers are better than none :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Something like sentence clauses in English grammar (that …, which …), perhaps.

Thanks again. It should be obvious when I look at Jisho or other JE dictionaries. Be mindful of alternative meanings (depending on the context) always.

3 Likes

Exactly like that. In Japanese these always go before the noun they modify.

2 Likes

Picking up that paper isn’t really in the Death Note (last page), though.

3 Likes