Comparative Chart of Achievement

The table gets cut off for me. Too many columns.

Also, is the vocabulary size supposed to be active or passive?

Yeah, not quite sure what to do about that… might split the table in two…

Vocab is passive. Maybe another active column might be in order?

Split the chart so it can actually be read again.

Ok, that makes sense. The lists I saw indicate Genki covers almost all of the grammar points, but I’m not sure about Kanji. Judging by the stats site WK is pretty overkill for just the N5/N4. That half a year gets N3 coverage at a serious pace.

Going by the numbers 3 semesters would probably be a safer bet given the average student. I was thinking more along the lines of a serious student/Japanese major that actually wants to learn. (In my area there’s a pretty big gap between the those types of students.)

oh this is for japanese?im looking for english one〜 but it’s look exciting〜 i’ll go post the result〜 though i think i will get very bad score ( ;∀;) カナシイナー

oh great!! this i want to try〜 because i want benchmark my english〜 it’s look hard and…probably consume time〜 thanks for the link〜

They also have an English test: Online English Vocabulary Size Test

1 Like

done〜☆☆☆☆ thanks God
is not worst as i think〜 it takes quite long time too、about 20-25 minutes〜

and other side〜 OH mY GOD it’s contain yojijukugo im prepared for kanken last month (ノ゚ρ゚)ノ im shoc who’s creator of this quiz? it’s contain weird archaic word in near end of stage of this quiz〜

i will try this one〜〜 thank you for providing link!!

1 Like

Yeah… I somehow thought maybe it might be a bit unrealistic, but all the same that score is very impressive! Congrats!

For English anyway, it is dubious…

★★★ Top 0.16%
You are Shakespeare! You can even create new words that will expand the English dictionary.

english one is hard〜 (´;ω;`) im still four years old〜 ( ;∀;)( ;∀;)

16799033@2x

*shock*

1 Like

Are you a native English speaker? What was your total count? Like I said above, I got 31k, which is slightly better than expected for any old native speaker, but IIRC it called me shakespear as well.

Yes native. I was eluding to the percentiles it gave, 1/625, I’m not that good. The word counts may be close, hard to say. It does like to exaggerate… comparisons to Shakespeare is a bit overboard, lol.

1 Like

Is it right? Is your Japanese is stronger than your English? Do you feel you learn more Japanese vocab or English vocab on WK?

1 Like

result for test your vocab result〜 it’s below than 10K ԅ(¯﹃¯ԅ)ԅ(¯﹃¯ԅ)ԅ(¯﹃¯ԅ)

by the way sorry for hijack this post〜 im just curious how to benchmarking word im know〜
both of you thanks for give me measurement tool so i can test again in future when my english word increase〜

it’s probably because immersion、besides im choose wanikani because only wanikani、overseas kanji learning site which tell kanji in non JLPT ordering〜 it’s almost similar with G1-G9 in japanese school〜 not using mnemonics though、because sometimes im difficult to understanding joke behind their story〜

im not native english、but answer more Japanese vocab or english vocab on wanikani、my answer is → im learn both of them 〜♪

2 Likes

I did a little research myself recently by looking for college syllabi. Genki I does in fact cover a whole year (that is, two semesters) of standard college Japanese. Genki II was for the second year (and it looked like they polished off Genki I before they started on it). Genki I should definitely get you through N5, if you really learn it! I’m less certain of the Genki II vs N4.

1 Like

Awesome reference chart! I found it to be quite accurate.
I calculated to have around 800 hours of Japanese studies, which puts me between N4 and N3 level.
That also checks out with my J-Cat score, which was somewhere above 140.
Gee, still a long way to go!

I think it’s pretty accurate too for the Basic level. I’ve probably studied an average of 3h a day the last three months, am at level 10 and would estimate my vocabulary around 1000 - exactly on par with the chart.

I’d probably need more Genki exercises to do well on the N5 and not just narrowly pass, but if it was free and in my hometown I’d definitely take it right now.

Awesome! Thank you both @carlostdev and @lfeuln for your feedback!

@uyu ありがとうごさいます und vielen Dank! :grinning:

Apparently this site tests on many languages. :star_struck: I was very happy to see that.

@StellaTerra Thanks for your chart. It’s about right for me which is great and depressing at the same time… lol.

I realized AFTER creating a new reply I could have responded to both of you in the same post. sigh. Sorry about that.

1 Like