Community.Wanikani displays Chinese glyphs, not Japanese

The Minecraft site doesn’t even use language order. It shows up in Japanese for me even though I have English set first.

I have now added German and French in the order EN (US), DE, FR, EN (GB), JP and now minecraft has turned from Japanese to German. Do they ignore English?

1 Like

Why not? They are there for your personal preferences. The Unicode coding for 直 is the same for the Chinese or Japanese character, so there is only the local preference to select between them (if the website doesn’t provide the information that it prefers the Japanese variant).

2 Likes

Because I don’t have to change anything for deepl, google translate or wiktionary and countless other sites.

Also considering that it’s users who pay WK and not the other way around, IMO it’s naturally to expect WK to do the work so their site display Japanese correctly, not the users.

(I also don’t like when sites display Japanese without me explicitly asking them)

2 Likes

So I think perhaps you just meant to say “users shouldn’t have to change settings”.

That is to say, someone wanting to change their own settings doesn’t bother you.

2 Likes

The language of this site here is English, not Japanese. I don’t know if it would be a problem if they specified the language as Japanese. Can there be more than one site language(s)?

4 Likes

That’s true. Only certain parts of the forum are dedicated solely to conversing in Japanese.

This isn’t the first time this issue has been brought up. I don’t remember the titles of the other 2 threads that I can remember, but in the first one I think there was a solution of sorts (for the user that is). As for how WK handles things, I dunno how to fix the issue. It’s on the user end of things that it goes wrong from what I can tell.

One of the previous threads was about a browser issue it seems :thinking:
https://community.wanikani.com/t/kanji-font/9605

Oh, there’s a LOT more, some of them phone settings issues, others about windows settings…
https://community.wanikani.com/t/confusion-with-%E6%B5%B7-on-mobile-browser/1835/3
https://community.wanikani.com/t/kanji-font-confusion/10685/2
https://community.wanikani.com/t/font-problems/11115

I still can’t say I found the original thread I was thinking of, but oh well.

or , that is the question …
You can have what you want if you invest a little effort:
<span lang="ja-JP">直</span> or <span lang="zh">直</span>

2 Likes

Funnily enough, for me it exclusively renders japanese in chrome, but the dev console shows chinese only.

Edit: Looks like it’s a long standing chrome bug.

For what it’s worth, I don’t have this problem on the devices/browsers I use, and I don’t have any preferred language set in my browser. I think this might be because I have a Japanese IME installed on all my devices, but I’m not sure.

I noticed the same happening for me, and only on this forum (Chrome, Windows 10 and I don’t have Chinese or any Chinese fonts installed on my pc - while I do have Japanese and Japanese fonts installed)

Installing the Chrome extension “部分強制メイリオちゃん” fixed it for me, but I suppose people who are also learning Chinese (or who also read things in Chinese) won’t want to have this installed

I’ve also had problems with kanji disappearing when I hover over them (making me have to refresh the page to see the kanji again) with both Rikaikun and Yomichan on this forum, but nowhere else - I wonder if that has anything to do with the coding of the forum

Oh! I’ve switched between firefox and chome for years and I always thought it was a diffrent font, never realized it was chineses characters. Adding Japanese as prefered language in chome fixed it.

1 Like

Hmm? Quoting reverting the glyph to Chinese version.

Adding Japanese as a preferred language in Firefox (in Arch Linux) doesn’t though. (I might test Windows later.)

1 Like

Is there a list of important font misrendering awareness? That one and 直, for sure. I won’t always bother about minor things like 以, 海, 線, 極 or 骨 for sure. Most people would be able to understand 角 perhaps.

Is there a list of important font misrendering awareness? That one and 直, for sure. I won’t always bother about minor things like 以, 海, 線, 極 or 骨 for sure. Most people would be able to understand 角 perhaps.

Bonus on my Android phone.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.