[Client App, Discontinued] WaniKani for Android

Just dropping in to say that I gave your app a try and I love it! Clean, smooth, and beautiful, and my experience thus far has been bug-free.

Huge thanks for your top-notch work on this! :slight_smile:

Hello, I’ve pushed an update to the Play Store. It doesn’t bring much (a few fixes and improvements + remaining items for the current level and SRS indicators in lists). The app also no longer supports devices running Android versions older than 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). Unfortunately, it doesn’t fix some issues reported by users either. 

As some of you may have noticed, development has been going pretty slow. So much time has passed, so little has been done.  This is mainly because I’ve been feeling a little tired and wanting to take some break from development. Another reason, which will probably become the main cause soon, is that school has already started here and I’ve gotta focus on those stuff. Also, being a last year high school student, I’ve got university to focus on. So, long story short, development probably won’t be going any faster. I may even have to suspend all work at some point. If I ever get to that point, I’ll make an announcement here.

Thank you for your support.

Hey Xip, thank you so much for your hard work on this app. It truly is beautiful. Your code is super clean and a joy to work with.

I am currently in the process of adding an upcoming item queue that displays the review times and items for the next 48 hours of radicals and kanji. I’d like to do vocabulary as well, but API problems prevented that.

I’m hoping you’re still around, because if I can get this to a point where I’m happy with it, I may be submitting a pull request to your repo. I would also like to add notifications for available reviews/lessons as some point as well.

Thank you again.

celhalcyon said... Hey Xip, thank you so much for your hard work on this app. It truly is beautiful. Your code is super clean and a joy to work with.

I am currently in the process of adding an upcoming item queue that displays the review times and items for the next 48 hours of radicals and kanji. I'd like to do vocabulary as well, but API problems prevented that.

I'm hoping you're still around, because if I can get this to a point where I'm happy with it, I may be submitting a pull request to your repo. I would also like to add notifications for available reviews/lessons as some point as well.

Thank you again.
Hello, yes, I'm still around. I had tried to add a reviews timeline feature but couldn't really get something satisfactory.  It would really help to have that done.

I just made some changes around the app which are related to theme compatibility on older android versions making use of the new support libraries. Some things like Activities turning into ActionBarActivities, etc.. You may have to rebase your work, but of course, feel free to submit a pull request!

Thank you.

Hi! I would love to try your aplication but my phone has the 2.3.6 android version. What could I do? :c Thanks anyway! ^^. Good work! 

nekofenix said…
Hi! I would love to try your aplication but my phone has the 2.3.6 android version. What could I do? :c Thanks anyway! ^^. Good work! 

You could try something like Cyanogenmod.

Generally you’ll probably have to do some research, or buy a new phone.

xip said... Hello, I've pushed an update to the Play Store. It doesn't bring much (a few fixes and improvements + remaining items for the current level and SRS indicators in lists). The app also no longer supports devices running Android versions older than 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). Unfortunately, it doesn't fix some issues reported by users either.
Can you elaborate on why older versions were dropped?
What features of the new code meant you had to drop backwards compatibility?

I'm a bit like nekofenix - I'm stuck on a Galaxy S and while I enjoy hacking on code and stuff, rooting my phone is low on my list of priorites :)

As some of you may have noticed, development has been going pretty slow. So much time has passed, so little has been done.  This is mainly because I've been feeling a little tired and wanting to take some break from development. Another reason, which will probably become the main cause soon, is that school has already started here and I've gotta focus on those stuff. Also, being a last year high school student, I've got university to focus on. So, long story short, development probably won't be going any faster. I may even have to suspend all work at some point. If I ever get to that point, I'll make an announcement here.
Don't $#$@ up your last year at high school, that will set you up for a world of pain later in life.
Really.
There are bound to be a few other people around on the list who can code and want to pick up some slack.
Otherwise its an incentive for all your users to become Android developers :P and pitch in too.

It wasn’t really a feature or a few features that led to it. It was more like I was getting more and more fed up with having to think about one thing twice. Trying to make things compatible with older versions also had an effect on the code I was writing and what i was able to write. It was when I started having serious issues with older devices after I redesigned the app according to material design guidelines, however, that I decided it was time to drop support. Something just wouldn’t look/behave correctly.

I completely understand you. Though I used to be a fan of custom roms when I was younger, at the moment nothing beats the stability and speed of clean firmware. And having Cyanogenmod on Galaxy S definitely doesn’t sound fun. :smiley: There is only so much I can do to help you though. I really don’t see it as fun or bearable to once again support older versions. Especially after I’ve seen how easy life is without it. 

Haha, the world would be such a better (?) place if all users would just pick up development and pitch in whenever they wanted a feature or a bugfix. :P 

The setting that moves radicals and kanji to the front of lessons doesn’t seem to work?

Speaking of bug fixes, is anyone else not getting autoplay audio to work anymore in the app?

I can get autoplay to work by doing my reviews in a browser window, but then I lose the awesome scripts and friendliness of the app.

Whether I have the mute button on or off doesn’t seem to have any effect on the fact that there’s no autoplay, and I have it turned in in my profile settings.

@Lelion, yes, I was intending to fix that but never got to do it. I’ll check it out once I’m done with notifications and some other things…

@Inserio, I never noticed as I don’t use the autoplay feature. I’ll try to reproduce this and let you know of the results.

UPDATE: As far as I can see, auto play works fine in lessons, I couldn’t get auto play to work in reviews neither on my laptop nor in the app. (Seriously, how do you make it work in reviews too?)

xip said... UPDATE: As far as I can see, auto play works fine in lessons, I couldn't get auto play to work in reviews neither on my laptop nor in the app. (Seriously, how do you make it work in reviews too?)
 Well, as long as the feature is turned on in your account settings, it auto plays any vocabulary audio they have, normally. However, if it's just an issue for my phone in particular, that's unfortunate and I have no idea how to remedy that.
Inserio said... Well, as long as the feature is turned on in your account settings, it auto plays any vocabulary audio they have, normally. However, if it's just an issue for my phone in particular, that's unfortunate and I have no idea how to remedy that.
 Yeah, it was turned on (obviously). I tried with many vocabulary (which I think must have had audio) without any luck. Well, maybe after all, they actually didn't have any audio...

I have an issue where the app always crashes if it loses the connection at some point, and then reconnects.

e.g. I am on the train, doing reviews. At some point the signal drops and I get the big “reload” icon across the page. The signal goes back to 100%, I click the “reload” thing, and then the app crashes and android tells me the app has stopped working. FWIW I am using a Nexus 5, if that matters.

I have never successfully disconnected/reconnected without the app crashing.

Also, as an aside, I notice that it reloads some assets like the background image that basically never change, every time I go to do reviews or lessons. It is particularly annoying when I am stuck with a 3G or even (gasp) 1 or 2G cellular connection, that I have to wait for this huge background image to reload every time. Same goes for the custom fonts used for radicals, etc. It seems like these ought to be cached and only ever reloaded if the source files change.

Apart from that, I really like the app and have been using it for a few months now. It is particularly useful to be able to do reviews when I am out and about, although I have found typing and reading on my tiny cell phone screen sometimes frustrating. I make way more mistakes on the cell phone, probably 2-3 times as many as when using my laptop.

weirdboy said... I have an issue where the app always crashes if it loses the connection at some point, and then reconnects.

e.g. I am on the train, doing reviews. At some point the signal drops and I get the big "reload" icon across the page. The signal goes back to 100%, I click the "reload" thing, and then the app crashes and android tells me the app has stopped working. FWIW I am using a Nexus 5, if that matters.

I have never successfully disconnected/reconnected without the app crashing.
Mind reporting the crash? (The dialog that appears when an app crashes should provide a "report" action too)

weirdboy said...Also, as an aside, I notice that it reloads some assets like the background image that basically never change, every time I go to do reviews or lessons. It is particularly annoying when I am stuck with a 3G or even (gasp) 1 or 2G cellular connection, that I have to wait for this huge background image to reload every time. Same goes for the custom fonts used for radicals, etc. It seems like these ought to be cached and only ever reloaded if the source files change.
As far as in-review or in-lesson things are concerned, I have almost nothing I can do about the way they work. It basically is an in-app browser showing the content of "wanikani.com/review/session" or "lesson/session" with some extra scripts and overlay stuff.

About radical fonts elsewhere, it is supposed to be caching right now too, but yeah, I'm not really happy with what is happening. I may do something about it but nothing planned yet.

Just a suggestion for when notifications are added. As leveling up depends on getting current level kanji/radicals right it would be great if there was an option to notify user when current level kanji/radical become available for review as compared to just any reviews at all.

Regards,

Garth

garthtrickett said... Just a suggestion for when notifications are added. As leveling up depends on getting current level kanji/radicals right it would be great if there was an option to notify user when current level kanji/radical become available for review as compared to just any reviews at all.
Regards,
Garth
I'll just quote my reply to the issue on github:
xiprox said...I definitely agree with you. We could indicate that there are current level kanji waiting up to be reviewed, or something. I'll see this after I get the whole notifications thing stable. At the moment, there are some issues...

Not really a constructive post in anyway, but just wanted to say wow… This app is absolutely stunning on my nexus 7 running lollipop. Really nice job.

Also I love your avatar xip, gave me my first laugh of the year ;) 

Gintoki is a legend ^^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAdAakFLGVo

Haha, yeah, I watched that episode… It was awesome! 

Hi, 5 months old but, if you’re still working on this could you please add a section showing JLPT levels like the WanikaniMobile app does?