ChristopherFritz's Study Log

Ah, YouTube offered me a video where this comes up:

(About six minutes in.)

I’ve heard of Matt before, mostly in the context of controversy or some much. Never really spent much time on YouTube before, but now that I’ve been following some gardeners on YouTube, I’ve started expanding who I’m subscribed to. So Matt’s material is all new to me.

From what I’ve seen, he knows what he’s talking about, understands and is able to articulate just about every single thing I’ve self-identified that I’ve “done wrong” in language learning. He’s come to the same solutions I’ve devised myself, except my solutions are many 10% of what it takes to resolve an issue, and his experience has brought him to at least an 80% solution.

I’ll definitely be watching more of his videos as they come up from time to time!

2 Likes

Today I discovered that making word clouds is an enabler of procrastination.

I do like the results, though.

となりのトトロ Dialogue

魔女の宅急便 Dialogue

魔女の宅急便 Nouns Only

魔女の宅急便 Verbs Only

魔女の宅急便 Adjectives Only

10 Likes

What inspired this fit of procrastination!?

The inspiration for procrastination actually started with doing something potentially productive.

While mining for 1T (one unknown target word) sentences to make into Anki cards, I wondered which words are “high traffic”, meaning I’m more likely to see them again, versus ones I may never encounter ever again. (I don’t yet know what kind of frequency information the Migaku tools have available.)

As an example, across the 43-episode series Saint Tail, the word 「屋敷(やしき)」 comes up 17 times. However, the word 「縁談(えんだん)」 only comes up once. If I encountered both words (in separate sentences), it would be more useful for me to make a card from 屋敷 and less useful for me to make a card from 縁談 (as far as this series goes).

That got me wondering, “What would a word cloud look like with all the words from a series?” But just the words alone was kind of boring. Why not shape it as a character?

My first experiment produced a smaller resolution image packed with tiny words:

Since there are so many words and they came out small, I switched to movies and did the My Neighbor Totoro one. But then I thought, why not try getting the colors “right”? And that led to the Kiki one.

On the actual sentence mining side of things:

1. Year to date, I only have 78 cards created so far (46 manga, 32 anime). I’m slowly easing this up recently, hoping not to suddenly overwhelm myself with reviews.
  2. I haven’t yet found myself “learning” any of new kanji on target words. However, I’m not being graded on that. I can look at the reading, and that helps me to recall the meaning (the part I pass/fail on). Worst case scenario, knowing a word that uses the kanji will make it easier for me when I get to the kanji in WaniKani.
  3. Some of the words I’ve created cards for have already shown up in other anime/manga I’m consuming. This frequency bias is one of the expected perks of consuming native material alongside creating SRS cards.

I look forward to the day when I can watch a whole episode and don’t see more than one red underline (unknown word) per line of dialogue throughout.

4 Likes

How did you make these? They’re beautiful!

There are probably web sites were you can drop a list of words and frequencies and a mask image, but I looked for something I can run on my computer and found this:

I did have to generate a list of words and their frequencies. One method of doing this is to use a program such as mecab or juman++ to get the individual words, then write code to count occurrences (or do it in a spreadsheet).

I realize that’s not a nice and easy way to do it, but somehow it seems I never do things the nice and easy way…

2 Likes

They’re lovely pieces of art, of course they’re not easy to do. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

You may also want check in with @ekg about what they use. Their leech word clouds are what have kept word clouds on my mind to the point that I finally made the ones above =D

2 Likes

I love your movie inspired word clouds! Beautiful! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: And glad to have inspired you to make them. I hope they serve you well in your studies!

3 Likes

Why yes I did just save that fluffy cloud cat picture to my desktop.Totally just made my day.

2 Likes

Today’s distraction: Pokémon PokéDex entries.

Each Pokémon game includes a very brief encyclopedia entry for each type of Pokémon. The same type of Pokémon will have different entries across different games. This has resulted in over 5,400 different entries.

Since these PokéDex entries are encyclopedic in nature, they include text not normally found in common dialogue. By the time someone has completed WaniKani level 30, they’ll only recognize full kanji for fewer than 1,000 of these entries, about 17%.

Here’s a chart showing how many entries there are per level (blue line) and cumulative (red line):

Level 40 gives quite the bump, adding almost 300 entries to those a WaniKani user should be able to read upon completion of the level.

The earliest level that an entry’s kanji can be fully read is level 6, with three entries:

|ポケモン|説明文|
|—|—|—|
|メノクラゲ(Tentacool)|ほとんどが 水分で できている。 体は 海の中では 水と 同化して とても 見えづらいのだ。||
|クラブ(Krabby)|海の 近くで 見つかる。 大きな ハサミは もぎとっても あとから また 生えてくる。||
|ウリムー(Swinub)|いい においを かぎつけると あとさき 考えずに においの 方向へ ダッシュしてしまう。||

This is based only on the kanji, and not the reading. If WaniKani introduces a new reading for a kanji on a separate level the kanji was introduced, that is not accounted for.

With the Immerse with Migaku browser extension, I should be able to easily locate 1T sentences.

For 1T sentences, my goal is to choose sentences with only one underlined word. Red underline means I haven’t learned it yet (or I just haven’t marked it as known), and yellow underline means I’m learning it (or I know the word, but I’m not yet confident on recognizing the kanji).

Looks like there are no 1T candidates for me here.

I have two expectations for this (assuming I can find 1T sentences):

1. I can get practice on words WaniKani has taught me that I’m not good with. (For example, my arch nemesis ()える.)
  2. I get exposure to words WaniKani doesn’t teach, such as 水分 and 同化 seen above, and 生みだす from another entry.

Coincidentally, the earliest 1T entry available to me is for my favorite Pokémon. It’s from a “WaniKani level 15” entry:

Screenshot_20210527_214850

(Migaku’s furigana can use a bit of work for kanji-kana-kanji-kana words.)

In all, the PokéDex entries (at least, the copies I’m working off of) use 1,548 unique kanji, and 57,716 total kanji. I’ve (more or less) learned 835 of those kanji, with 591 left to learn from WaniKani, and 122 to learn on my own down the line.

5 Likes

Today’s Yesterday’s distraction: pitch accent.

I’ve been meaning for a while now to learn about the colors used by Migaku for words.

Screenshot_20210530_001738

I knew it was related to pitch accent, but I hadn’t even heard of pitch accent before installing the Immerse with Migaku browser extension.

Screenshot_20210530_002156

I was thinking today that the ¬ looked familiar. I had seen it before. Then I remembered, the dictionary I bought back in the latter half of the 1990’s when I was in high school Japanese class. And sure enough, there it is:

I remember using this to aide me in the different wants to pronounce はし way back then.

Looks like I knew of pitch accent to an extent, but didn’t know the term. That, and I never really took any notice of it for any word other than はし. I think I intended to look it up for あめ as well, but possibly never did.

One thing this dictionary doesn’t convey is whether the following particle is high or low pitch. If it did, that would have been lost on me as well. (Outside of はし, at any rate.)

Since I’m not looking to speak Japanese, I’m not too worried at really knowing pitch accent. But I do want to know about it enough to be aware of it. Thus, I have happened upon a few videos that helped me get the basics of it:

Elsewhere:

I’ve been steadily working my way through re-watching various anime I’ve seen before, this time with Japanese subtitles. I’ve been jumping between watching some shows set to auto-pause at the end of every line of dialogue (to work on improving my listening), and others where I only pause manually on 1T sentences (to make an Anki card from).

I’m satisfied with my pace on creating cards:

Screenshot_20210530_005856

I know I’ll never be one of those people who can add 25 cards per day and remember all of them, just as I’m not one of those people who can learn 100 kanji every day (I struggle at one per day!) I think averaging five new cards per day will work out for me, unless I start having trouble remembering words, and cards start piling up. (If that does happen, though, leeches will auto-suspend.)

My most anticipated card for reviewing:

(あせ)る is one of my “leech” words that every time I see it in manga, I have to look it up. I’ve even had to look it up three times in one week. For some reason, I just can’t seem to remember the meaning.

(WaniKani’s not planning on helping me out with it any time soon, this being a level 42 kanji.)

4 Likes

えーえ!!!! super shocker … you can probably already speak fairly well given your knowledge!

my 2c on pitch accent…
Pitch accent is important, but unless it’s an actual proper teacher…I’ve always been told natives can figure out what you mean. Definitely something to know and to work on improving, but when you are trying to learn vocab, kanji, grammar…good heavens if you need to add one more layer of difficulty when it isn’t immediately necessary to communicate for casual conversation. Might be very important if you are looking for work in certain fields, and what not, but not something to completely ignore but not something to stress over too much either.

1 Like

This is the consumption/production divide! (And then there’s the further reading/listening divide.) Maybe production will become easier after enough consumption, but I never attempt production (let alone getting corrections), so I’m never building up any ability for it.

Sounds about right. I’ve encountered plenty of people who speak English as a second language who get the stress on the wrong syllable, and I’m pretty sure I’ve always been able to figure out what they meant. (There are also plenty of native English speakers who miss out on variation in stress, such as increase vs increase.)

1 Like

Today’s distraction: Little Nemo. (The boy, not the fish.)

I first saw this movie (in English) when I was a kid, and it’s remained a favorite of mine.

Some number of years ago, I learned that it was worked on by studios in multiple countries, including Japan. The Japanese dubbed release actually appeared in theaters in Japan before the English theater release in the United States.

I had found there was a Japanese DVD release, and bought it, thinking at the time, “This will be my first Japanese material with subtitles!”

This was still back when I had failed to make any progress in learning Japanese with any method I used. Grammar was fun to read about, but hard to comprehend in isolation, and thus easily forgotten. Reading native material was impossible, because I had to look up nine out of ten words, and by the time I looked up the fifth word, I’d forgotten the first three.

But this! This was a film I knew well in English, something that had a Japanese dub, and it also included Japanese subtitles!

Had I made it far enough in, I would have soon been discouraged by kanji. But something else halted my plans first.

The audio track and the subtitles…didn’t match. And apparently that’s true for the English DVD, as well!

I imagine the English DVD subtitles are based on the original Closed Captioning. This would explain why a lot of the English subtitles are simplified versions of what characters say, including shortening lines. Although, sometimes they’re completely different:

• Dialogue: “Maybe he left because we’re late?”
  • Subtitle: “They’re gone.”

The dialogue is about why the king was not present when Nemo arrived. The subtitle refers to the guards having just left (to find the king).

(It’s also possible the script had last-minute changes during recording, and the closed caption hints at the original lines. I suppose I’ll never know.)

As for the Japanese release, the same thing happens where the subtitles don’t match the dialogue, but it’s also variable whether they’ll match the English dub or the English subtitles!

From the same scene:

• Dialogue: 「あ〜あ、行っちゃった」
  • Subtitle: 「遅刻(ちこく)()こったかな」

Here, the dialogue is about the guards having just left (to find the king), while the subtitle is about why the king isn’t there.

At the time, I did watch through the movie in Japanese, and enjoyed it very much (even if I feeling dispirited at my plan to finally learn Japanese for real having been dashed).

Last year, I passively listened to the Japanese audio track. I found could definitely understand bits and pieces, but a lack of attentive listening practice of Japanese dialogue likely kept me from catching a lot of words I know.

As I transition into listening practice (especially in 2022, my 2021 focus being on manga reading), Little Nemo is definitely going to be a barometer for me.

It’s said that one shouldn’t watched dubbed material for immersion, which makes sense. This movie was written with an English language script, composed by native English script writers, who were raised in a Western culture, adapting material from an American comic artist. A Japanese dub can’t escape that.

As one point of measuring my progress, however, I expect it to work out very well. (Maybe.)

Edit: Looking into it further, it seems the English subtitles file I have isn’t from the English DVD. (The English DVD doesn’t have subtitles.) Now I’m even less certain of where the English subtitles come from. They seem to match the Japanese dialogue, so many a fansub?

2 Likes

Since you are the go to Sailer Moon person, saw this and immediately thought of you.

I watched episodes back in the day. Was it middle school or early high school? Anyway, I may give it a shot and see how I feel about the characters now.

What’s interesting about this movie is it follows the Sailormoon Crystal anime (which tries to follow relatively closely to the manga, although there are some changes), but it uses character designs much closer to the original anime.

I believe the movie takes the whole Sailormoon SuperS arc and squeezes it into a movie. I’m curious how well that worked out.

Today’s distraction: I’m back to Breath of Fire.

(For about six hours so far today. I need to take a break from video game text reading to get to my manga reading and my light novel reading. I might have to pick a manga with very short chapters to read from today…)

I first started playing through the Super Nintendo video game Breath of Fire in Japanese I think in 2019. I made good progress in playing the game, but wasn’t getting much out of it as a Japanese immersion experience. It probably doesn’t help that I’ve played it in English enough times that I know what everyone is saying.

Much more recently, I decided to start the game from the beginning and go over the dialogue line by line. With this, I have two objectives:

1. Add kanji to it. This often involves looking up kanji for unknown words. This means checking multiple possible kanji for the same input hiragana, and checking which means what. It also means learning the difference between multiple kanji for the same word, such as (ふね) vs (ふね).

2. Translate it into English. This can be exciting when the official English translation (for any given reason) deviates from the Japanese, whether due to space limitations, or possibly because the translator may have been translating the text in isolation, allowing some contexts to be lost, confused, or misunderstood.

One part that stood to me is when the player encounters Nina. She’s a princess whose father was poisoned and is ill. Nina decides she must leave home and travel west to the maker of the poison, to retrieve an antidote.

Here’s her dialogue (with my kanjification), my translation, and the official English translation:

If during daytime Nina heads into the basement, which leads to an east bridge going out of the city, one person says:

I imagine the translator misunderstood the reason this person was referring to Nina leaving the castle. The result certainly isn’t bad. (And even if it was, most players will never encounter this line of dialogue.) But there’s much that was lost, and it’s nice to be able to finally see some of that.

Looking at the game’s overall translation, the original translator did an amazing job, no matter how one looks at it. Especially considering the limitations of video game technology, and likely limitations of easy access to Japanese help in those pre-World Wide Web days.

8 Likes

Take one part multi-day insomnia, add in modified scheduling due to getting five minutes of sleep here, 15 minutes there at odd times, include often being too tired to do more than a few reviews, and I’m in triple digit reviews due for the first time in a long time!

I’m about to go do nine review sessions (12 cards per session), and hope that I get at least 50% right overall.

5 Likes

俺たちは信じているよ! 頑張れ!

1 Like