ChristopherFritz's Study Log

I haven’t seen that one yet. I’ll give it a try!

I do have Anki cards that I created to try and help with confusion, but they’re not actually helping that much. I need to find ways to improve them to actually be helpful. And I also don’t create disambiguation Anki cards as often as I should have anyway…

I’m up to 449 leeches =D

Edit: Looking over the script’s thread reminds me that I do 99.9% of my reviews in the Flaming Durtles app. (It lets me do reviews away from any distractions on my computer.) But I should really do reviews at my computer as well sometimes.

2 Likes

did a couple today that are really telling…if only it helps me remember the differences (eventually maybe)…

been mixing up these (for whatever lame reason) real thing and essence…but seeing them side by side … helpful!

this one figured out it’s a homonym and look alike thing (for me) after this script:
ゆうしゅう vs ゆうしょう

hasn’t helped with all of them but if it does put a stop to the leech insanity even a little and doesn’t require dozens of hours doing outside work…

Also btw…I do use flaming durtles a lot on the phone…but do reviews often on this older laptop in the evenings. Maybe at some point this app will build something like this in.

3 Likes

I got it installed, waited for reviews, dived in to see how the extension works out, and…

Screenshot_20210409_190555

(It was only three reviews, all ones I got wrong earlier today, so I remembered them this time.)

6 Likes

Before I knew it, I’ve gone up another level. After 27.7 days on level 27, I’m up to level 28.

(Yotsuba’s wide eyes tipped me off, as my lessons went from about 21 to 76.)

Even though it was still a slow level, level 27 was the first in a while that I pushed to go forward each day by doing at minimum one less per day, and more if my apprentice were getting below 60 and my “next 24 hours reviews count” below 80.

I plan to keep that up for level 28. Although with 76 apprentice and 127 reviews in the next 24 hours, I’ll be reluctant in doing lessons today. I want to get in at least one radical and two vocabulary each day, so hopefully the confusion guesser will help me catch common review mistakes that are keeping my apprentice count high. (My apprentices are 76% leeches.)

This past level has been another where it seems like every few days of reading has brought me another word I recently learned in a WaniKani lesson. Just three days ago I did the lesson for 怒鳴(どな)る, and then I saw this today:

i-079x

It underscores the importance for me to keep doing lessons (versus slacking off too much), and to keep reading. The two feed into one another.

As for my Sunday manga shown above, 「耳をすませば」, I’m enjoying it very much on multiple levels. There’s noticing things from the manga that were not included in Studio Ghibli’s animation (as far as I can remember; I’ll need to watch it again!) There’s noticing things that I’d forgotten were in the movie until seeing them in the manga. And, most important, there’s reading some kanji without furigana without even realizing there’s no furigana on it. I don’t think I’ve encountered an unknown kanji yet that didn’t have furigana.

5 Likes

It makes it all so worth it when this happens!

1 Like

My apprentice and daily reviews are high enough that I’ve greatly cut back on lessons these past few days, and yet my reading makes me feel like I should still be advancing in lessons.

Six days ago I unlocked the radical 奇. It should reach guru tomorrow and unlock the kanji, although I don’t expect to get to that lesson any time soon. (I wonder if there’s a userscript that lets me pick specific unlocked kanji/vocabulary to do lessons for.) And while I haven’t even reached the kanji, my reading jumps right ahead and gives me vocabulary:

(And as is the story of my vocabulary-learning life, the other kanji in this word is WK level 52.)

1 Like

I didn’t recognise the second kanji either, so just looked up きぐう to find two visually similar pairs; 奇遇 寄寓

What fun we have to look forward to!

1 Like

Thankfully 寄寓 has 亠 over both kanji, hinting at which is its meaning, should I ever encounter and be uncertain of it.

1 Like

I was planning on doing something of a “reading progress update” post tomorrow, but Pokemon Snap’s arriving tomorrow, so I’ll probably be too busy with that…

My progress year to date:

Screenshot_20210429_221708

With another three of those are one chapter away from being checked, that puts me at almost 23 volumes read. That puts me on track to exceed my 2020 manga reading by 50%.

おじさまと猫

0792_ojsmnk_1280_03_039x

This series continues to be what I’d call enjoyable to read, but not something that draws me toward it. It’s something I might fail to keep reading if on my own, so I’m thankful that we’ve got our sparse book club for it that’s keeping a nice pace of one (short) chapter per week.

からかい上手の高木さん

i-0020x

I stopped reading after the first two chapters as this one was picked for the book club, and that begins in a couple of days. Looks like I’ll be picking it back up again in a couple of weeks, although I’ll likely re-read the first two chapters to help field questions that come up.

It’s too early for me to have an opinion of the series yet. However, there’s this other series by the same mangaka that I’ve been reading:

それでも歩は寄せてくる

0013x

I’m enjoying this series very much! After having almost read the whole first volume in one sitting, I’ve been limiting myself to one chapter per week of volume two. With chapters being about six to eight pages, it’s very difficult to keep that limit.

I originally planned to read through nine volumes this year, but one chapter per week will drastically reduce this number. I don’t mind, though, as I typically read multiple “short chapter” series on Saturday.

アオハライド

08_845314_846647_1_055_001x

Reaching the end of a long series (one volume left!) gives a great feeling for someone who’s still relatively “new” to reading native Japanese material as I feel (even though I’ve been at it for around two years, not counting my earliest days of dissecting every line of dialogue to try and figure it out).

This series has been really good at pacing the growth of characters. I feel like there are a few loose ends that still need to be tied up, but there’s still one more volume left for that.

I think this will be the third “long” series I will have reached the end of, apart from Saint Tail (7 volumes) and Sailormoon (10 to 18 volumes, depending on which release you count).

アリア完全版

i-314x

I expected volume three to come out early May, and Kobo has it listed as “Available 09-05-2021”. How did it get pushed back to September, and if that is the case, then why is it listed so early???

Oh. That’s May 9th. Phew. Crisis averted.

This will be my first volume read digitally, which means I’ll be able to start looking things up more easily (not having to set the book down each lookup).

セーラーV

I’m failing miserably on this one. Lots of difficulty keeping up with it. But I’m not taking the time to break it down. I thought I read the series in English long ago, but don’t remember anything, so clearly I haven’t.

My preliminary plan is to read it in English to catch up with where I am in Japanese, then read in English ahead of Japanese. That will help keep me from losing context when there are a lot of unknown words (which seems to keep happening for me).

Looking up words is more difficult for me when reading a physical manga because I have to keep closing it and putting it down, then reopening it back to where I left off. And Sailor V’s had a lot of words I don’t know lately.

ポケモン SPECIAL

i-0129x

I can’t tell if volume 4 will finish up Red’s adventure or if it will open with Yellow. Either way, I’m looking forward to continuing this series. Either volume 4 or 5 I think is when the image size of the ebooks increases, something else to look forward to!

マギ

i-0060x

So far, this one hasn’t been that interesting for me. The basic premise and setting interest me, but the main character…doesn’t. I’m only three chapters in, though, so I’ll wait until I finish the first volume (7 chapters) before I decide whether to continue the series or not.

俺物語!!

I can’t not enjoy the most adorable manga couple ever. But I do remember the next two storylines from the anime, and recall that they weren’t all that interesting for me. Hopefully the struggles of following along in Japanese will keep it interesting this time around!

日常

i-012x

I bought this series in English on sale years ago, and never read past the first volume. Alongside the surrealness not being of interest to me, there’s also a frivolous use of curse word early on that kind of soured me on the series. (Seeing that panel in Japanese, I would definitely have translated it quite differently.)

Hopefully I can put past traumas behind me, and enjoy it going through in Japanese!

現代魔女の就職事情

As I near the end of volume one, this is turning out to be the series I want to like. But not a whole lot has really happened, and with the series being complete at five volumes, I’m curious how it’ll go. There’s a lot that can happen in another four volumes.

耳をすませば

There’s something fulfilling about reading a single volume one-off story like this. A longer series typically takes things a bit slower, drawing the story out, and giving a lot of room for error in following along (for us language learners). With a 175-page story that doesn’t even have much in the way of chapter separation, you don’t get any of that. Granted, I was already somewhat familiar with the series from having seen the movie adaptation a few times in the past, but it was still pleasing to follow through to the end (even if I did need to re-read a few parts after clearing up initially missed context).

This one is definitely going to be my go-to my recommendation if I ever see someone in the WK level 20’s who wants to dabble in manga with no furigana, but still needs furigana for unknown kanji.

3 Likes

haha same here… need to start in again

curious about these shorter stories…what about this story is drawing you in…
debating about ordering this…should I be placing an order for more books :wink:

Takagi I picked up as an “easy” series after finding out Mitsuboshi Colors ended, and as we reached the end of Yotsuba (for what was out at the time). When I’m reading more difficult series some days, it’s nice to have easier series other days to balance the week out.

I probably bought それでも歩は寄せてくる as something to fill my “easy manga” reading until it was time to return to Takagi. I already had it on my “to consider” list as Kobo occasionally recommended it, but it probably showed up even more after I bought Takagi (same author).

Regarding this series, I like the dynamic between two characters. If you don’t mind spoilers for the eight-page chapter 1, the premise is that two students play shogi after school each day. The girl (who happens to be a shogi fanatic) suspects the boy likes her, especially because he says flattering things to her. But he speaks in such a matter-of-fact way that she can’t be certain. Actually, the boy secretly does like the girl, but is waiting until he’s good enough at shogi to win against her before confessing. Thus, much of the content revolves around the girl giving the boy openings to confess his feelings, and the boy refraining from doing so.

If you happen to read it, I think volume 1 chapter 4 has been my favorite so far.

thanks … vol1 is tucked into my amazon jp cart for now :slight_smile:

I constantly tell myself I’ll give novel-reading a try after reaching an appropriate level in WaniKani.

I want to finish up the first Kiki book, and read the rest in the series, eventually. At my current level, I should be able to (more or less) recognize about 90% of the overall kanji used. But that’s only about 60% of the unique kanji, meaning the ones I’d be looking up would really stand out. I won’t hit 90% unique kanji recognition until completion of level 48 (at which point I’d be at 99% overall recognition). Feels like it’ll be worth the wait. (Even though level 48 is probably well over a year away…)

And yet, now and then, I find myself gravitating toward trying again at novel reading.

Today’s attempt is a novelization of 「瞳の中の暗殺者」, the fourth Detective Conan movie (one of the ones I’ve seen). I only downloaded the preview, which includes a brief backstory, then the first two (short) chapters.

The backstory part was simple enough (although I used the Yomichan browser extension quite a bit). Starting up chapter one, there were a few things I had to look up, such as 「オープンしたばかりの遊園地(ゆうえんち)」 being “newly opened amusement park”.

In time, I found I’d made significant progress. I’d completed the first sentence in chapter one. Phew. Tough stuff. Should be coasting from here on out.

Then I get to the second sentence:

「五つの島に分かれた広大な敷地の中央に建てられたトロピカル城の展望室からは園内が一望できて、蘭は設置された双眼望遠鏡を覗き込んで様々なアトラクションを見ていた。」

Just as I felt I must be reaching the end of the sentence, I reached the は. The は!

I’m hopeful I’ll be able to build my reading stamina (and number of words I know) to the point where I can get through such a sentence without forgetting the first half by the time I reach the second half.

Based on the kanji used in the preview, it looks like I’d need to complete WaniKani level 48 to recognize 90% of the unique kanji. (That level sounds familiar…) Of course, this doesn’t much indication of the kanji content beyond the free preview portion.

I will say, DeepL does a lovely job of translating that sentence: “The observation room of the Tropical Castle, built in the middle of the vast grounds divided into five islands, offered a panoramic view of the park, and Ran peered through the binoculars to see the various attractions.”

8 Likes

I like to try out various methods of study and learning. The more things I try out, the greater chance I have of finding things that works out for me. And the less time I spend wondering, “Should I try out this method?”

Some things don’t work out for me at all, and I stop them fairly quickly. Others work nicely, but I don’t have the desire to keep up with them. (I have to decide if it’s worth doing on a schedule, like WaniKani reviews, or dropping.) And there are things that work out really well (such as when I watched through most of Cure Dolly’s videos).

Here are my latest trials. It’s too soon to know how they’ll work out, but I expect I’ll write up on my progress later.

WaniKani: Passing all the Apprentice

I mostly review WaniKani via the Flaming Durtles app, using Anki mode. This means I don’t have to spend forever hunt-n-pecking at a smartphone screen to enter words in. Instead, I have pass/fail buttons to choose between.

I recently found there’s an option to show during a review a card’s stage (apprentice, guru, etc.) This is great because I’ve wondered what would happen if I just…“passed” all apprentice cards, whether I got them right or not.

At first, that sounds like a bad idea, doesn’t it? But I think it may have potential. Here are some of my anticipated pros and cons:

Potential Pros:

My apprentice count goes down. This results in fewer reviews per day. This allows me to do more lessons, which may result in learning new kanji and words at a faster pace. (It seems like I’m always looking up words while reading manga only to find their kanji is coming up in two or three more WK levels.)

Seeing my leeches less often may even have a soothing effect. (It could happen.)

Potential Cons:

I’ll seeing apprentice cards less often, which interferes with the SRS scheduling. (I’m not too worried, because if I fail them at guru, them simply drop back to apprentice. Most of these will be my long-time leeches.)

Taking the time to look at the stage listed above the card, to see whether it is apprentice or not will slow down my reviews, even if just by the tiniest bit. (But this might not be bad. In the past two days, I’ve actually done better on my apprentice cards, and I think it’s because I’m going a little slower.)

Migaku: Steadily Growing my Anki Deck

I was never interested in “AJAAT” and related “mass immersion” teachings. However, I’ve been interested in some of the methods behind the madness. Because of that, a while backI read through a lot of the Refold material, and I’ve also had my eye on the Migaku tools coming out.

Recently, I installed the Migaku MPV tool. This makes it easy to make Anki cards from subtitles. It’s nice, but I still had to manually seek out the “1T” sentences, those sentences where I know everything except for one word.

I decided to shuffle some of my monthly spending and hop into the $5 tier for Migaku’s Patreon. This gives me early access to their browser extension (which will eventually be released for free, but it’s in an early development stage right now).

What the browser extension does is it lets me track which words I know, which words I’m learning, and which are unknown. Once I’ve “trained” it on all the words I know, I can take a video with Japanese subtitles, and with the click of a button have it generate cards for all 1T sentences. (Unfortunately, most of the subtitles I have aren’t properly timed to the DVD’s I have, and it takes time to adjust them in Aegisub to be just right. Without correct timing, the screenshot and audio clip won’t be correct in Anki.)

Here’s creating a single Anki card:

I manually added the two items in the “Definitions” section (required two clicks total), but that portion can be automated as well (which is important when using the option to create all possible 1T cards.)

For these, I plan to do vocabulary cards. Front of the card shows the word, with no furigana. I can quiz myself on the reading, then move the mouse over the kanji (or tap on it on smartphone) to see the furigana reading. However, there’s no pass/fail for this. Instead, pass/fail is only on the meaning portion. Will that work for me? Will that not work for me? I’ll find out over time, and adjust if necessary.

Here’s the back of the card:

I may convert my hand-made manga sentence cards to match. Or at least use Migaku to add word audio clips to replace the TTS ones I’ve been using. Migaku’s Anki card creation tool will help me speed up creating new manga cards as well.

Reading: Something Alongside Manga

This one is tentative, but now that I have the Migaku Browser Extension, I’m able to tackle reading from another angle.

When I read through 「耳をすませば」, I enjoyed very much that many of the kanji I knew that were presented without furigana, but all the kanji I didn’t know did have furigana:

Using the Migaku Browser Extension, I get something like that, but with web pages. And, I can also use it for e-books since I already convert them to HTML pages to view in a browser. This way, I get furigana for kanji I don’t know yet, but not for kanji I do know.

It’s not without issue, though. It parses a lot of things incorrectly (such as 一人(ひとり) as (いち)(にん)). The tool’s still in early development, so I know it’ll improve over time. It comes down to whether I can tolerate parsing issues while trying out reading, or if I’d rather hold off on reading for now.

On the plus side for reading, I enjoyed the portion of the Conan movie novel preview that I read. I felt I could visualize most of it. I feel that’s very important for me to enjoy reading. (I have seen the movie, but that was a long time ago, so I remember almost nothing from it.)

7 Likes

That’s wat I did during my first run of WK a couple years ago. At first only for radical and kanji, because delaying a level up is always a terrible choice compared to failing a few radical or kanji, but after experimenting, I started to do it for vocab too, because I found that failing a vocab one or twice during apprentices but force it to pass anyway didn’t seem to hinder significantly performance at further stage.

I did a similar thing for leech. Unfortunately, WK doesn’t have a way to suspend card, like anki, so I would just ignore them until burn. (But I always did the burn review seriously, no guessing, no ignore). It’s amazing how a 6 months buffer is enough for some leech to evaporate, maybe because I saw them in immersion in the meantime or just increased my Japanese level overall.

I feel like many people underestimate how all levels of WL are choke full of low hanging fruits, fairly easy to memorize, super useful words. Even level 50 contains many day-to-day words like 風呂, 瓶、襟、玄関、沸く ! I think getting bogged down by leech, slow cautious approach, desire for pristine understanding, it just delay reaching all those important vocabs.

Anyway, experiment is always good! I love reading your study log for that!

1 Like

I don’t mind delaying levels (well, I don’t think it can be called delaying if I’m already taking a month per level before the delay), but delaying kanji and vocabulary I think may have been detrimental for me along the way. Sometimes I’ll remember a kanji better after having started some vocabulary words for me, but some kanji just become leech-like from the start, and take forever to reach guru.

That’s one reason I like to do lessons out of order. I like to prioritize vocabulary for kanji I’ve guru’d, even if I have other kanji lessons waiting for me. I will delay kanji even if it means delaying leveling up for a whole week if it means doing vocabulary lessons sooner.

For level 29 which I just reached the other day, I’ve done one radical lessons, and the rest has all been vocabulary lessons. (This is what works for me, better than doing a bunch of radicals, then slowly go through a bunch of kanji, and then finally slowly get to the vocabulary.)

By apprentice-passing, I hope to free up bandwidth for more vocabulary lessons. I expect to still take kanji lessons slowly.

I pondered the idea of something along these lines (at least passing leeches through the guru’s), but Flaming Durtles doesn’t have an option to show level on the front of the card. Why would I need this? Because yesterday a vocabulary card came up that I knew I’d never seen before. Never seen the word, never encountered one of the kanji on the card, ever in my life. It was a level 19 vocabulary, and here I’m newly on level 29. I can’t push leeches through if I don’t realize they’re a leech! (Technically I can use Flaming Durtles’s undo feature, but I’ll wait and see how apprentice-passing does before I look to expand.)

As for suspending, I didn’t like suspending one bit when I was first using Anki. But that’s because I thought SRS would let me learn all the cards in the vocabulary deck I was building. I’d unsuspend a card, review it a lot, fail it a lot, and it would suspend again… Fast-forward to today, and I’m looking forward to when I’m ready to start using the Migaku Retirement add-on for Anki, so cards that are scheduled for something like a year away for the next review can be retired (suspended), as I probably know them well enough by then.

I’ve never done a vocabulary-level analysis, but I like doing kanji-level analysis of things I’m reading or could read (including anime subtitles).

For the Detective Conan movie novelization, having completed WaniKani level 28, I should recognize over 80% of the total kanji used in it already. (If we include leeches in that number…)

I’d like to reach at least 90% before reading it, but that means waiting until I complete level 39, which is 11 more levels. But if using tools like Yomichan and/or Migaku Browser Extension can help smooth out the reading experience (by making vocabulary look-up quick and easy), that will ensure I’m seeing those “WK low-hanging fruit”.

Out of the 16,002 total kanji in the novelization (including duplicates), 88 of them are from level 29, 175 are from level 30, and 177 are from level 31, 119 from level 32, and 173 are from level 30. And that’s aside from having on average 226 total kanji from each of the last 7 levels I just completed.

I almost feels as if I can’t afford not to start reading this, because there’s so much opportunity for seeing kanji/vocabulary I’ve learned in action before I have a chance to forget them!

3 Likes

I always like to catch up with what you’re trying out these days! So how are you working the steadily growing Anki deck into your daily review practice?

With the Anki settings I picked up from Refold, I actually don’t see my Anki manga-sourced cards too often. But since they’re cards for unknown words containing known kanji, they’re really easy, and when they eventually do show up again, I seem get them right each time.

I did have some cards that I’ve culled just because they weren’t working out for me. This is from a few levels ago, I looked up anime sentences for words containing upcoming kanji (for words not in WaniKani) and did cards for them. (If the subtitles were timed to my DVD’s, Migaku MPV would make creating those cards much quicker and easier.) The problem with those is that they were effectively indistinguishable from learning random words with no context (even if I knew they scene they were used in).

So, between cards showing up infrequently, and removing some cards, the daily reviews have kept fairly now. That means I have plenty of room for adding more going forward!

Here’s where I am right now on making Anki cards:

• Manga: Difficult to find “1T” sentences, where I knew everything except for one word. I’m sure there are plenty, but I get into a flow when reading and forget to look for them. Even when I do find one, it’s not always the best card material.
  • Anime: So long as I have correctly timed subtitles, Migaku makes it quick and easy to find 1T’s and to include a screenshot and audio clip. (And maybe it’ll help me on improving listening ability?)
  • Books: Being able to extract 1T cards from books should be good for me later on, but I’m not ready for that just yet.

I’m still working on the “training” portion for Migaku, where I mark the words I know or am learning, so it can identify the 1T sentences.

1 Like

Hmm. Maybe I should revisit Refold. I often contemplate adding in another system (and have tried and fail), but I don’t think I have the bandwidth for a 2nd SRS system (because I’ve tried and failed) unless reviews come up as infrequently as you’re experiencing. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Right now my main Anki deck has 65 cards, one being suspended as a leech. So, 64 cards. I can’t tell how many I had or how much time I spent on them today (as I have some other unrelated decks that mix in with my numbers), but I probably spent about one to two minutes on Japanese cards. However, that’s misleading.

The reason my reviews are quick and why I keep getting them right (spacing them further and further out) is because most of them contain only one thing that’s “new”. These cards contain only kanji I already know, in combinations that create words WaniKani doesn’t teach.

As I add more cards with kanji I don’t know yet, I expect things to change.

For my new vocabulary cards, which include unknown kanji, the grading on the review is very liberal.
When I get a review, I see a single word with kanji. I try to recall the reading. Then I check the reading. Next I try to recall the meaning. The kanji and reading give me two possible hooks to recall the meaning, and I pass/fail only on meaning recall. (It’s like having WaniKani’s meaning cards without the reading cards.)

As an example, when the card for 薄情 comes up, I see that and think, “I have no idea what this is.” Then I look at the reading, はくじょう, and I think, “Oh, right, ‘cold-hearted’” (because I remember the anime scene I mined it from). Since I ciphered the meaning out of the kanji/reading pair, that counts as a pass.

Am I learning the kanji this way? Not yet. But I’ve managed to attach the meaning “cold-hearted” with the reading はくじょう (reinforced by the anime sentence audio I have on the card). If nothing else, when I get to 薄 in WaniKani (level 40!), at least one word that uses it will be familiar to me. And that always makes a kanji and its vocabulary easier for me to learn in WaniKani.

The other option I can try out is sentence cards. I haven’t gotten into them too much yet. Well, I did use them in the past, but had where I was (unintentionally) memorizing the English meaning of the sentence, so when a sentence came up for review, I instantly remembered the English meaning of the whole sentence without even reading the sentence. Thus I knew the English meaning of the word being reviewed without even looking at the word. Sentence cards work really well for some people, but my history with them leaves me in no hurry to try them out again.

2 Likes