Chart of short verbs' pitch accent patterns

I used the OJAD Suzuki-kun tool to make this.

I’m not sure if I’m going to do something more with this, but I slapped it together to see what differences there might be, and thought others might be interested too.

Basically it the different types of 2 mora verbs’ pitch accent patterns.

There’s

する - heiban irregular
くる - atamadaka irregular
乗る - heiban godan
着る - heiban ichidan
切る - atamadaka godan
見る - atamadaka ichidan

BTW, I don’t know why some things have a gray-highlighted mora. I couldn’t find an explanation on the website. If anyone knows, that would be cool.

*EDIT: I also just noticed that the tool is reading 来させる as きさせる. Not sure why that is. I believe it should be こさせる. But feel free to just pretend it’s a こ, I believe the pitch accent pattern is correct.

9 Likes

This is pretty cool, thanks for putting it together

I believe they represent unvoiced vowels, but I can’t remember whether I read this somewhere or just concluded from frequent use.

That would certainly make sense. Thanks.

1 Like

Nice! I just found Suzuki Kun today and I was going to share it and then up popped this post. Love the chart! Thanks!

1 Like

Can I ask some dumb questions :slight_smile: How are these actually read? (Sorry!) Suzuki-Kun doesn’t tell you!
Does the red one with arrow pointing down mean falling tone?
Shaded red?
Line across hiragana?
Thanks!

The squiggly line above each one shows you where the pitch rises and falls. The red part above a hiragana indicates a downstep. You will see it fall gradually even without a downstep. This is because Japanese is not truly “flat” even when it is not a downstep. Every mora that doesn’t have a rise or a downstep will fall very slightly.

Thanks old bean!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.