Can I Jump Ahead?

Hello WaniKani Community,

I’m a new member of WaniKani, and I still find the interface sort of confusing. I really want to jump ahead and learn more radicals, kanji, and vocabulary, but for some reason it won’t let me? It seems that I have to wait and do review sessions every 7 hours, which is a tremendous wait. Is there any way I can skip this wait, or do I need to do review sessions every 7 hours?

Thanks!

• Ariana

Hello ArianaVerna793,

No.

-WaniKani Community

WaniKani doesn’t support jumping ahead.

8 Likes

@ArianaVerna793 , please read the FAQ :slight_smile:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks Borx!

No you cant, but rest assured, WK becomes challenging really fast. Enjoy your time at lvl 1 and 2. In two weeks you wont feel that WK is dragging you down and in a couple of months you are going to love the time you had in the beginning!!!

2 Likes

Hi. Is there instead of a jump button more of a placement test for beginners at WaniKani who also have some Japanese? A reading comprehension quiz, made of on’yomi and kun’yomi perhaps? I’ve been searching for it, I hope I don’t seem too newb

There is absolutely no way to jump ahead. You have to start from the beginning, even if you have prior knowledge of kanji. This is for the best too, because the lessons are designed to build upon what is taught in the previous levels.

1 Like

So - and I get the feeling you have answered this before, I’m very sorry - WaniKani is built entirely around its own way of defining “radicals,” and it builds up from the beginning? For example, the Oracle radical, ト, will always be referred to as the “toe” radical throughout the entire program? That’s a really good pedagogy for memorization, but difficult to mesh with the Japanese definitions and pronunciations of radicals. If my goal is to use those while learning higher-level kanji, it sounds like I shouldn’t use WaniKani . . . thank you for your time, though!

U can always put a synonym on the radical

Basically, WaniKani has taken the idea of radicals and expanded on it as a tool for teaching the kanji. The site doesn’t care at all about the dictionary radicals. It’s easier to think of a kanji like 隷 as samurai, jack hammer, brush, and water than to think of it as a bunch of strokes. It’s all about trying to teach as efficiently and quickly as possible.

Note: I don’t think that this use of made up radicals originated with WK. Before finding WK, I found other sites using the approach.

4 Likes

Okay, I’ll give it a try.

the system works the way it does for a reason (for long term memory!) try it to level 3 :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s just painfully slow for the first level though. =(

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.